DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Droid Bionic wont boot after lcd replacement

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Droid Bionic wont boot after lcd replacement

So i dropped my Bionic and cracked the lcd. I found and bought a replacement lcd at Repairs Universe │ iPhone, iPod, HTC, Motorola Parts & Repair Guides. Replaced the screen no problem. I turned my phone on and it wont boot past the Motorola logo. I figured i didn't connect something properly, so I checked everything again with no luck. I put my cracked lcd back in, and it boots fine. After swapping the lcd's back and forth a few times i would say that my phone has some compatibility issue with this new screen. I even did a factory reset thinking that might help, but no luck. Am I missing something here, or do these people just sell crap replacement parts. Anyone ever heard of this issue?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I'm the furthest thing from a hardware expert but just going by logic if your old cracked screen makes your phone work perfectly fine and the new screen doesn't then I would say they either sent you a bum screen or mistakenly sent you an incompatible screen by mistake. I'd see what their return policy is.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I have the exactly the same problem. I bought a LCD replacement and now it is stuck on the Dual Core boot screen. I did but back the old one and same thing happened, It booted up fine.

Did you find your answer to this problem?

If I find anything else out when I get an responce from the company I bought the LCD from I will let you guys know also.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Quote Originally Posted by topclass View Post
    I have the exactly the same problem. I bought a LCD replacement and now it is stuck on the Dual Core boot screen. I did but back the old one and same thing happened, It booted up fine.

Did you find your answer to this problem?

If I find anything else out when I get an responce from the company I bought the LCD from I will let you guys know also.
    Sure sounds lie they got ahold of some screens that seemed to match the connector, resolution, etc so they ASSUMED it would work rather than testing. I'd suspect the screen has some circuitry on it, and it's not responding the way the Bionic expects. The seller needs to make this right for you, exchange for correct part or refund. Ask them if they have personally tried one on a Bionic - I bet not.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Same story here ...

Quote Originally Posted by bbtkd View Post
    Sure sounds lie they got ahold of some screens that seemed to match the connector, resolution, etc so they ASSUMED it would work rather than testing. I'd suspect the screen has some circuitry on it, and it's not responding the way the Bionic expects. The seller needs to make this right for you, exchange for correct part or refund. Ask them if they have personally tried one on a Bionic - I bet not.
    I just had the same thing happen. I bought my LCD from Amazon (via a 3rd party) and the LCD wouldn't go past the boot screen. Put the old broken one back in and it boots. I sent it back via Amazon return. Can anyone recommend a place to pick up an LCD that has worked?

Thanks
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Ok, so bought a second screen from a different vendor, and the same thing happened.... WTF?
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmoser View Post
    Ok, so bought a second screen from a different vendor, and the same thing happened.... WTF?
    I've no experience in this area, but can you boot into recovery?
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Droid Bionic wont boot after lcd replacement-working-lcd.jpeg <== This is my original LCD

Droid Bionic wont boot after lcd replacement-nonworking-lcd.jpeg <== This is the replacement non-working LCD

I am now returning my 2nd LCD screen. This time from "LowCost4All" another Amazon vendor. Same thing happened. This time I looked at the stamped part#'s on both LCD's, the original cracked (but working) one and the replacement part. The original part# is 720-1460-8004AA, the replacement part# shipped is 720-1460-8006AB. I didn't think to grab the part# from the first replacement LCD. I'll bet there may be more than one version of the bionic hardware ...
    The phone will display the splash screen (dual core etc) and it will get to the recovery screen. If I try to do a recovery it will hang though. I am guessing both the recovery and the normal OS boot get to a point where they init the LCD for higher level function and that is where the incompatibility and subsequent hang occurs.

Maybe if a few of us compared part#'s we'd start to see a pattern ...
    Last edited by fredc; 10-07-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added pictures
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    does it work for the OG screen after replacement again? i may have missed you saying that, maybe there was more damage done to it than originally thought, or you did damage to it attempting to replace the LCD? my 2 cents at least
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Yes, my phone is working with the old LCD

Quote Originally Posted by avlambo21 View Post
    does it work for the OG screen after replacement again? i may have missed you saying that, maybe there was more damage done to it than originally thought, or you did damage to it attempting to replace the LCD? my 2 cents at least
    I don't believe I did any damage. My phone is now functional with the old broken LCD back in place. I double (quadruple ;-) checked all connections etc with the replacement LCD's.

The phone was originally damaged by dropping it, it cracked both the glass and the LCD. I replaced the glass but still waiting to find a working replacement LCD.

The fact that the part#'s are fairly different leads me to believe it is not the correct replacement part. If that is true than it means at a minimum, there are multiple motherboard builds that require/support different LCD's. That assumes that the replacement LCD's work for *some* Bionic's, just not mine (or apparently a number of others.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links