DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: moto why the TI OMAP 4430 an not the TI OMAP 4460?

  1. Droid Ninja
    sargentmajord's Avatar
    Member #
    238495
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,195
    Liked
    133 times
    Phone
    Droid 4/ Bionic/ RAZR/ Droid
    #1

    moto why the TI OMAP 4430 an not the TI OMAP 4460?

    So i have been doing some research about the omap chipset in the droid bionic/razr/maxx/4 an whats disappointing is that they could have chosen a better chipset with high speeds an better performance. First of all the TI OMAP 4430 can only go up to 1Ghz so it says though we see the razr/maxx an droid 4 overclocked to 1.2 Ghz. But the TI OMAP 4460 clocks at 1.5 Ghz. Second of all the TI OMAP 4430 3D video performance is only 720p stereoscopic 3D where as the 4460 has a 1080p stereoscopic 3D video performance. Third of all TI OMAP 4430 has a imaging performance (per second) of 20 mp main camera an 5 mp stereo (dual cameras) where as the TI OMAP 4460 has an imaging performance of 20 mp main camera an 15 mp stereo (dual cameras) the the question is when they had a choice between the two which they did since they are in the same family an the 4460 was available as of Q1 of 2011 why didnt they go with the superior chipset cuz if they did the bionic would have had jet packs on it instead of wings so to speak an would have put every smartphone to shame when it came to processing speed an power (not display quality though).
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Nice Guy
    aaf709's Avatar
    Member #
    6126
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    4,181
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    #2
    Price probably. If the superior chepset cost too much then the phone would cost more and may turn people away from that phone.

    It's like when you buy a computer. It may have been a great price, but the video card won't hold up to some games.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Dave12308's Avatar
    Member #
    4889
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,274
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #3
    Probably because the 4460 wasn't available at the time the D3/Bionic/RAZR/Maxx/D4 were designed. The OMAP 4430 was available Q1 of 2011, the 4460 didn't come out until Q4. I believe the GNex was the first device to use it.

    To design the Motorola OMAP devices around the 4460 would have meant a delay, probably AFTER the GNex was released.

    If you really want to get jealous about mobile chipset specs, check out the OMAP 4470. 1.5-1.9GHz Cortex A9 dual cores, PowerVR SGX544 with dedicated 2D core, and 466MHz RAM.

    Or, for even more drool-worthy specs, the upcoming OMAP 5 series. Those are 2GHz Cortex A15 dual cores, with 2 Cortex M4 cores for offload duties. Plus, PowerVR SGX544MP2 dual-core GPU @ 532MHz per core (with dedicated 2D core).


    EDIT: At the time of the Droid 3's release (Moto's first OMAP4 device on Verizon), the OMAP 4340 was pretty much the highest performance dual-core chipset on the market. It is faster than the then-prevalent Tegra 2, and faster than the Snapdragon S3.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 05-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    sargentmajord's Avatar
    Member #
    238495
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,195
    Liked
    133 times
    Phone
    Droid 4/ Bionic/ RAZR/ Droid
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308
    Probably because the 4460 wasn't available at the time the D3/Bionic/RAZR/Maxx/D4 were designed. The OMAP 4430 was available Q1 of 2011, the 4460 didn't come out until Q4. I believe the GNex was the first device to use it.

    To design the Motorola OMAP devices around the 4460 would have meant a delay, probably AFTER the GNex was released.

    If you really want to get jealous about mobile chipset specs, check out the OMAP 4470. 1.5-1.9GHz Cortex A9 dual cores, PowerVR SGX544 with dedicated 2D core, and 466MHz RAM.

    Or, for even more drool-worthy specs, the upcoming OMAP 5 series. Those are 2GHz Cortex A15 dual cores, with 2 Cortex M4 cores for offload duties. Plus, PowerVR SGX544MP2 dual-core GPU @ 532MHz per core (with dedicated 2D core).

    EDIT: At the time of the Droid 3's release (Moto's first OMAP4 device on Verizon), the OMAP 4340 was pretty much the highest performance dual-core chipset on the market. It is faster than the then-prevalent Tegra 2, and faster than the Snapdragon S3.
    Damn why doesnt moto jump on those bad boys cuz i mean it would bring alot of dissatisfied customers back especially since they finally jumpes on the full hd display band wagon
  6. Droid Sensei
    Dave12308's Avatar
    Member #
    4889
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,274
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #5
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, the OMAP 5 isn't even available until Q3 of this year, so basically it isn't ready yet. I am not sure what their future plans are, though, as I understand it they are thinking of moving to the Intel Atom platform. It wouldn't surprise me if the next-gen Moto devices end up with "Intel Inside".
  7. Droid Ninja
    sargentmajord's Avatar
    Member #
    238495
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,195
    Liked
    133 times
    Phone
    Droid 4/ Bionic/ RAZR/ Droid
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, the OMAP 5 isn't even available until Q3 of this year, so basically it isn't ready yet. I am not sure what their future plans are, though, as I understand it they are thinking of moving to the Intel Atom platform. It wouldn't surprise me if the next-gen Moto devices end up with "Intel Inside".
    Is the intel a better chipset?
  8. Droid Sensei
    tgyberg's Avatar
    Member #
    16974
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,751
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    #7
    I've had the 4430 and the 4460 and I'd bet the farm that no one would be able to tell any speed/performance difference!
  9. Developer Relations
    guidot's Avatar
    Member #
    36269
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,363
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
    I've had the 4430 and the 4460 and I'd bet the farm that no one would be able to tell any speed/performance difference!
    I agree with this 100%.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

    1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Super Moderator
    94lt1's Avatar
    Member #
    247267
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SE TX
    Posts
    10,940
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentmajord

    Is the intel a better chipset?
    IMHO, Intel is going to give these phones a new attitude.

    DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  11. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentmajord View Post
    So i have been doing some research about the omap chipset in the droid bionic/razr/maxx/4 an whats disappointing is that they could have chosen a better chipset with high speeds an better performance. First of all the TI OMAP 4430 can only go up to 1Ghz so it says though we see the razr/maxx an droid 4 overclocked to 1.2 Ghz. But the TI OMAP 4460 clocks at 1.5 Ghz.
    Actually the 4430 isn't overclocked in the RAZRs, it's running at 1.2GHz "Turbo" mode, an undocumented clock speed for 4430 chips tested at the factory to be stable at 1.2 GHz and run at normal temperatures. These chips are separated from the rest of the production run and sold at a premium with the 1.2 GHz "Turbo" identification.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-13-2011, 08:49 AM
  2. what CPU ?? 4430 or 4460 TI OMAP
    By turboteal in forum Droid RAZR
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM
  3. The OMAP 4460 vs the Tegra 2. This is why I am not worried
    By busab in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM
  5. T.I. Blaze Tablet! OMAP 4430 Goodness!
    By Darkseider in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Search tags for this page

omap 4430 vs 4460

,
omap 4430 vs snapdragon s3
,
omap 4460 vs 4430
,

ti omap 4430 vs 4460

,
ti omap 4430 vs snapdragon s3
,

ti omap 4430 vs snapdragon s4

,
ti omap 4430 vs tegra 2
,
ti omap 4430 vs tegra 3
,
ti omap 4430 vs ti omap 4460
,
ti omap 4460 vs snapdragon s4
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+