DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Bionic, iPad and tethering - What's the experience been like?

  1. Senior Droid
    brunla's Avatar
    Member #
    11368
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    #1

    Bionic, iPad and tethering - What's the experience been like?

    I am thinking about getting the new iPad and wanting to tether it to my Bionic's 4G. What has been people's experience with this? It is my understanding that you have to root your phone (which I have not done yet).

    Is there anyway to tether without rooting? Any obstacles with this process that will drive me crazy?

    Or is it just smooth, and works easily with iPad and not that big of a deal?

    Really need to know before I purchase a wifi only model and try to save an extra data plan every month.

    Thanks!
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #2
    You could pay for tethering? ;-)

    Actually if you don't need it all the time, Verizon will let you prorate tethering for periods less than a month.

    But otherwise I would think its a smooth process since the Bionic is built to handle being a hotspot. I never had any problems with my laptop when I had my bionic.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  4. Senior Droid
    brunla's Avatar
    Member #
    11368
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    #3
    Are you tethering wirelessly? Are you rooted?
    You kinda missed the main points of my questions above...

    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    You could pay for tethering? ;-)

    Actually if you don't need it all the time, Verizon will let you prorate tethering for periods less than a month.

    But otherwise I would think its a smooth process since the Bionic is built to handle being a hotspot. I never had any problems with my laptop when I had my bionic.
  5. Master Droid
    BroidDrionic's Avatar
    Member #
    246277
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    544
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #4
    I use my bionic as a hotspot any time I'm on vacation or out of town and it works great. It can handle a bunch of devices, too. Was skiing with a group of 8 recently and the whole house was grateful I had my bionic so everyone could get internet access.
    Also, rooting is incredibly easy and quick. There's a tool called motofail that takes about thirty seconds to do, including the reboot. I use an app called mobile hotspot for wifi and USB tethering. Verizon hasn't mentioned anything to me about it, I'm not worried about them. I've been doing it since I got the bionic on launch day.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  6. Droid
    Tcizzle's Avatar
    Member #
    239300
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    66
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    #5
    Foxfi is on the android market. Does not require root. My bionic is rooted and it tethers nicely to my wife's ipad. I installed foxfi on my friend's nonrooted droid 2 and it tethered nicely to both my xoom and the ipad.
  7. Master Droid
    km75's Avatar
    Member #
    164637
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    466
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic and Droid 3
    #6
    Try foxfi from the market. Its a wireless tether app that is free and doesn't require root.

    Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk
  8. Master Droid
    km75's Avatar
    Member #
    164637
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    466
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic and Droid 3
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcizzle View Post
    Foxfi is on the android market. Does not require root. My bionic is rooted and it tethers nicely to my wife's ipad. I installed foxfi on my friend's nonrooted droid 2 and it tethered nicely to both my xoom and the ipad.
    You beat me to it.

    Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk
  9. Droid
    Tcizzle's Avatar
    Member #
    239300
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    66
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    #8
    I second this notion. Motofail was so easy it was almost boring. I say do that first.



    Quote Originally Posted by BroidDrionic View Post
    I use my bionic as a hotspot any time I'm on vacation or out of town and it works great. It can handle a bunch of devices, too. Was skiing with a group of 8 recently and the whole house was grateful I had my bionic so everyone could get internet access.
    Also, rooting is incredibly easy and quick. There's a tool called motofail that takes about thirty seconds to do, including the reboot. I use an app called mobile hotspot for wifi and USB tethering. Verizon hasn't mentioned anything to me about it, I'm not worried about them. I've been doing it since I got the bionic on launch day.



    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  10. Senior Droid
    Hollywood67's Avatar
    Member #
    223997
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    #9
    Brunla,
    I use bionic to ipad wireless tether and it works very well. I am rooted, because I dont want to pay verizon double for something I already pay for.
    Root not necessary though
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    spending way too my time with my BIONIC
  11. Senior Droid
    brunla's Avatar
    Member #
    11368
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    #10
    All great responses! Motofail sounds interesting and not so scary for a novice. That being said Foxfi sounds great and I just tried it and it works. HOWEVER if you are using Foxfi am I paying "double" to Verizon? I'm on an unlimited plan so do they recognize I am using this Foxfi tethering method?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood67 View Post
    Brunla,
    I use bionic to ipad wireless tether and it works very well. I am rooted, because I dont want to pay verizon double for something I already pay for.
    Root not necessary though
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 07:24 AM
  2. tethering - Ipad
    By sethm1 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 12:25 AM
  3. tethering with ipad
    By WildKid in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM
  4. Tethering to iPad
    By BostonDroid in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM
  5. wifi tethering with iPad
    By jjb2 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Search tags for this page

bionic ipad
,
droid bionic tethering
,
foxfi and ipad
,

foxfi for ipad

,
foxfi for ipad 2
,

foxfi ipad

,
foxfi ipad2
,

tether droid bionic to ipad

,
tether ipad to bionic
,

tether ipad to droid bionic

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+