DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Losing network signal...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Losing network signal...

I'm on my 2nd Bionic, both have had the same issue of losing the signal. The Verizon store said it's caused by "Updating the Network", I told them that I experienced the same thing 350 miles away, she said the whole state is being updated. I'll have an internet connection and be on FB or Google, put the phone down, come back 10-30 minutes later and no signal. I turn the phone completely off and sometimes that works, but most times I have to pull the battery...is this common?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigenous View Post
    I'm on my 2nd Bionic, both have had the same issue of losing the signal. The Verizon store said it's caused by "Updating the Network", I told them that I experienced the same thing 350 miles away, she said the whole state is being updated. I'll have an internet connection and be on FB or Google, put the phone down, come back 10-30 minutes later and no signal. I turn the phone completely off and sometimes that works, but most times I have to pull the battery...is this common?
    Yes, very common. It's a network authentication issue specifically related to the 4G network... Verizon is working on the issues; a 4G growing pain if you will.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbatcofc View Post
    Yes, very common. It's a network authentication issue specifically related to the 4G network... Verizon is working on the issues; a 4G growing pain if you will.
    I guess I could live with that, I do love how fast the 4G is, downloading songs take 4-7 seconds. Thanks for the info.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Instead of pulling the battery (a little extreme in my opinion), next time just try turning on airplane mode, which turns off all of the radios (4g, 3g, bluetooth, wifi, etc, etc), and then turning airplane mode back off, which will of course turn all of the radios back on. Also, the 5.9.901 update helps tremendously with data connectivity, even as the 4g network has its hiccups every now and then.
    You don't have to wait long in between turning on and off airplane mode (an airplane mode cycle); if I ever do it I just wait like one second and then turn it back off.
    Also, there is a widget that you can put on the homescreen which will allow you to do this much more easily and quickly than going through the entire menu and settings and whatever every time you want to airplane mode cycle!
  6. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    In addition to the Airplane Mode, there's a free app called Restart Connection. It does basically the same thing, but you don't have to turn on, wait and then off; just one press.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    Only thing I want to add to this beaten and dead horse is that Restart Connections, though in theory is the same as airplane mode toggle, something it does is different. The airplane mode toggle would NEVER work for me, but RC works every time. Just sayin'...
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic

Update 5.9.9

I have contact Verizon 3 times asking about the update 5.9.9 and they say there is no update.... yet i keep seeing it listed. Whats the deal>>>?
  9. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tominnh View Post
    I have contact Verizon 3 times asking about the update 5.9.9 and they say there is no update.... yet i keep seeing it listed. Whats the deal>>>?
    5.9.901 was sent out accidentally to about two dozen people. At this point, if you want it, you'll have to install it manually.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    How do I manually install the update? I'm ready to pitch this phone off the nearest bridge

11. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tominnh View Post
    How do I manually install the update? I'm ready to pitch this phone off the nearest bridge

Here's what I used. This is presuming you are stock at 5.5.893. If you've connected your Bionic to your computer before I'm going over familiar ground.

You can get it from http://www.mediafire.com/?f2ccj99tr8y6194. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC. Or you can download it directly to your phone at http://db.tt/b8eleKEi If you do that, use a File Managing app (like Astro) to move it to the correct location in step #4 (and skip step #5).

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
    2. Plug phone into computer.
    3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
    4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
    5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
    6. Power phone down
    7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
    8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
    9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
    10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
    11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)
    Last edited by aaf709; 01-23-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Links