DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: ad hoc connection vs wireless

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855

ad hoc connection vs wireless

I just got a charge the other day and I was a dummy I suppose for thinking that when I use wifi tethering (google project) that it would show as an actual wireless network.

My wife has a D2global and hers shows up to all devices like a normal wireless router. I just upgraded from a D1 (which always showed as ad-hoc connection). I thought that since her device had mobile hot spot app from factory, thus the normal wireless. Since all the newer phones had the same feature I thought they all did so.

I have a few devices that will not work with ad-hoc (including my now un-networked D1). Can anyone tell me if the bionic shows up as ad-hoc or as a normal wireless point? I might decide to pay the extra for what I knew was a better phone from the beginning and send this charge right back.
    D1 running SS5.6 Chevyno1 is the best! Still have a droid 1? Then try it for yourself [Rom] SS 5.4 GB - 2.3.4 - 5/31/11 (5.6 is out, I need to link it)

Phones I have rooted
    6 x D1
    3 x Fascinate
    5 x Dx
    3 x D2
    2 x D2G
    3 x Thunderbolt
    1 x Samsung Charge

So far, Verizon hasn't said anything about the three droids I bricked before sending them back...

View The Ulimate Droid2 Guide

Got a Verizon Samsung Fascinate? Best walkthrough I have seen
    Screwed up your fascinate? Try this

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan66669 View Post
    I just got a charge the other day and I was a dummy I suppose for thinking that when I use wifi tethering (google project) that it would show as an actual wireless network.

My wife has a D2global and hers shows up to all devices like a normal wireless router. I just upgraded from a D1 (which always showed as ad-hoc connection). I thought that since her device had mobile hot spot app from factory, thus the normal wireless. Since all the newer phones had the same feature I thought they all did so.

I have a few devices that will not work with ad-hoc (including my now un-networked D1). Can anyone tell me if the bionic shows up as ad-hoc or as a normal wireless point? I might decide to pay the extra for what I knew was a better phone from the beginning and send this charge right back.
    Change the device profile under settings to Samsung fascinate and then change setup method to Dodgson and it should work.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I can confirm the bionic works in infrastructure mode when setting the profile to bionic. Got it to connect to the wii. The WII doesnt allow adhoc connections.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855
    As fas as I have seen, only laptops will allow ad-hoc mode. Game consoles, tablets, other android phones, wireless printers/TVs, none will connect to an ad-hoc
    Quote Originally Posted by motarded1 View Post
    Change the device profile under settings to Samsung fascinate and then change setup method to Dodgson and it should work.
    I didn't find the Dodgson setting, only Auto, WEXT and Softap for Samsung (Master). I went with the softap and now it works as a normal hotspot. I love it, thanks a ton for the help there!
    Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    I can confirm the bionic works in infrastructure mode when setting the profile to bionic. Got it to connect to the wii. The WII doesnt allow adhoc connections.
    I'm still thinking about sending this back and paying the extra 70 bucks for a bionic, but I heard neither wired nor wireless tether work on newer moto phones.
    D1 running SS5.6 Chevyno1 is the best! Still have a droid 1? Then try it for yourself [Rom] SS 5.4 GB - 2.3.4 - 5/31/11 (5.6 is out, I need to link it)

Phones I have rooted
    6 x D1
    3 x Fascinate
    5 x Dx
    3 x D2
    2 x D2G
    3 x Thunderbolt
    1 x Samsung Charge

So far, Verizon hasn't said anything about the three droids I bricked before sending them back...

View The Ulimate Droid2 Guide

Got a Verizon Samsung Fascinate? Best walkthrough I have seen
    Screwed up your fascinate? Try this
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    wireless tether app only does adhoc it seems. Wifi tether app is a bit different and does infrastructure mode. It does work on the bionic. There is actually a setting specifically for the bionic. The file name for the Wifi tether I use is wifi_tether_v3_1-pre104.apk. I can't say if any of the profiles will allow the Charge to work with it.

Links