DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: ad hoc connection vs wireless

  1. Droid
    nathan66669's Avatar
    Member #
    157848
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    34
    Phone
    A855
    #1

    ad hoc connection vs wireless

    I just got a charge the other day and I was a dummy I suppose for thinking that when I use wifi tethering (google project) that it would show as an actual wireless network.

    My wife has a D2global and hers shows up to all devices like a normal wireless router. I just upgraded from a D1 (which always showed as ad-hoc connection). I thought that since her device had mobile hot spot app from factory, thus the normal wireless. Since all the newer phones had the same feature I thought they all did so.

    I have a few devices that will not work with ad-hoc (including my now un-networked D1). Can anyone tell me if the bionic shows up as ad-hoc or as a normal wireless point? I might decide to pay the extra for what I knew was a better phone from the beginning and send this charge right back.
    D1 running SS5.6 Chevyno1 is the best! Still have a droid 1? Then try it for yourself [Rom] SS 5.4 GB - 2.3.4 - 5/31/11 (5.6 is out, I need to link it)

    Phones I have rooted
    6 x D1
    3 x Fascinate
    5 x Dx
    3 x D2
    2 x D2G
    3 x Thunderbolt
    1 x Samsung Charge

    So far, Verizon hasn't said anything about the three droids I bricked before sending them back...

    View The Ulimate Droid2 Guide

    Got a Verizon Samsung Fascinate? Best walkthrough I have seen
    Screwed up your fascinate? Try this
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Newbie
    motarded1's Avatar
    Member #
    83416
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan66669 View Post
    I just got a charge the other day and I was a dummy I suppose for thinking that when I use wifi tethering (google project) that it would show as an actual wireless network.

    My wife has a D2global and hers shows up to all devices like a normal wireless router. I just upgraded from a D1 (which always showed as ad-hoc connection). I thought that since her device had mobile hot spot app from factory, thus the normal wireless. Since all the newer phones had the same feature I thought they all did so.

    I have a few devices that will not work with ad-hoc (including my now un-networked D1). Can anyone tell me if the bionic shows up as ad-hoc or as a normal wireless point? I might decide to pay the extra for what I knew was a better phone from the beginning and send this charge right back.
    Change the device profile under settings to Samsung fascinate and then change setup method to Dodgson and it should work.
  4. Master Droid
    wseyller's Avatar
    Member #
    121920
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hendersonville NC
    Posts
    736
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #3
    I can confirm the bionic works in infrastructure mode when setting the profile to bionic. Got it to connect to the wii. The WII doesnt allow adhoc connections.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  5. Droid
    nathan66669's Avatar
    Member #
    157848
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    34
    Phone
    A855
    #4
    As fas as I have seen, only laptops will allow ad-hoc mode. Game consoles, tablets, other android phones, wireless printers/TVs, none will connect to an ad-hoc
    Quote Originally Posted by motarded1 View Post
    Change the device profile under settings to Samsung fascinate and then change setup method to Dodgson and it should work.
    I didn't find the Dodgson setting, only Auto, WEXT and Softap for Samsung (Master). I went with the softap and now it works as a normal hotspot. I love it, thanks a ton for the help there!
    Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    I can confirm the bionic works in infrastructure mode when setting the profile to bionic. Got it to connect to the wii. The WII doesnt allow adhoc connections.
    I'm still thinking about sending this back and paying the extra 70 bucks for a bionic, but I heard neither wired nor wireless tether work on newer moto phones.
    D1 running SS5.6 Chevyno1 is the best! Still have a droid 1? Then try it for yourself [Rom] SS 5.4 GB - 2.3.4 - 5/31/11 (5.6 is out, I need to link it)

    Phones I have rooted
    6 x D1
    3 x Fascinate
    5 x Dx
    3 x D2
    2 x D2G
    3 x Thunderbolt
    1 x Samsung Charge

    So far, Verizon hasn't said anything about the three droids I bricked before sending them back...

    View The Ulimate Droid2 Guide

    Got a Verizon Samsung Fascinate? Best walkthrough I have seen
    Screwed up your fascinate? Try this
  6. Master Droid
    wseyller's Avatar
    Member #
    121920
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hendersonville NC
    Posts
    736
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #5
    wireless tether app only does adhoc it seems. Wifi tether app is a bit different and does infrastructure mode. It does work on the bionic. There is actually a setting specifically for the bionic. The file name for the Wifi tether I use is wifi_tether_v3_1-pre104.apk. I can't say if any of the profiles will allow the Charge to work with it.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. D2G Won't Hold Wireless Connection
    By Smokeyham in forum Droid 2 Tech Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 02:31 AM
  2. Droid2 interfering with laptop's wireless connection?
    By Jeri Morris in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
  3. Wireless Tether Drops Connection Randomly
    By Panamakevin in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM
  4. Wireless connection unsuccessful
    By dalongi in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
  5. Wireless connection suggestion
    By ForeverInOur in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Search tags for this page

android wifi printer adhoc
,
connect droid incredible 2 to ad hoc wifi
,
droid bionic ad hoc wifi
,

hc thunderbolt ad-hoc wifi

,

htc thunderbolt ad-hoc

,
razr ad hoc
,

wext ad hoc

,

wext adhoc

,
wext vs softap
,
wii ad hoc network
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+