DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Recommendations for new apps

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID Bionic

Recommendations for new apps

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to see what are some of the good applications you all have and like. I wanted to get some ideas of what to look for/ download. This is open to all suggestions: ie-games, communication, productivity etc.

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I have a ton I like but the best one lately is cozi. It's a family organizational application. You download it to all your family phones and computers, log in with one password. There is a calendar, to do list, shopping list. Everyone sees the same info. If your at the store the wife can add on her phone and it shows up on yours. It's free and cool as heck.

Bionic bootstrapped running (P)URITY BAS3 2.5 Go launcher w/Windows 7 theme
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid razor
    Two of my favorite apps are drivesafe.ly and wheres my droid. Drivesafe.ly reads your texts and emails to you while driving. It will even send an automated response back. It works great with bluetooth. Wheres my droid will help locate phone and wipe info. Both are great for safety and piece of mind.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums
    Burgandy
  5. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    There are many many threads about favorite apps, like the ones at Post your top apps for your Bionic ! and What apps are sweet right now? I want the forums opinion...

Most of the apps I like are from my OG Droid:

Beautiful Widgets- Shows Time, with easy access to Weather and Calendar
    Taptu- For News
    Car Locator- Find your car in a parking lot
    Bar Code Reader- Scan a barcode or QR code to search for prices. Shop Savvy is good too.
    Boat Browser- Very nice browser with Dolphin HD coming in second
    Handsent SMS- Replacement for the stock text messaging app.
    aCar- Keep track of your car expenses
    Where- Dining, movies, gas prices near you
    Movies- Movies showtimes and locations
    Astro- A good file manager
    Widget Locker- Customizes your locked screen so you can add apps for quick access and to change your lock pattern. And along those lines.
    Camera Zoom FX- Great substitute for the stock camera. I have it on my lock screen via Widget Locker
    Tesla LED- Turns your LED on and off like a flashlight. Also can strobe, Morse Code (enter the text and it'll do the code) and other things. It's made by the same people who made Widget Locker and I have it on my lock screen
    Weather Channel & WeatherBug- For weather information. Also Rainy Days, but that's just a map to show clouds moving.
    Quick Office- This comes pre-installed, but I prefer it to Documents 2 Go. Both are good at Windows documents, PDF, Excel, etc.
    Amazon- There's 2; one for your Amazon purchases, and one for Amazon Apps. With the Amazon Apps, there's a free app every day. A few days ago it was the full version of Quick Office, a $14.95 value.

Facebook and Twitter have their own apps, but there are other apps that'll do them if you don't like the UI.

As for games, there's a whole forum here that's devoted to games. I have Solitaire, Raging Thunder, Angry Birds and Bonsai Blast. You might want to look at Graphically intense games for Droid Bionic

I have a couple of comments about apps. First is that the Android Market has a 15-minute refund window for paid apps. That means if you don't like a paid app, then return it within 15 minutes to get a full refund. Second, until the OTA update appears, don't move any apps to the "Media Card" as apps tend to disappear there. You can re-install it if that happens and if it's a paid app, you won't have to pay again.
    Last edited by aaf709; 11-26-2011 at 01:11 PM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID Bionic
    Thank you both for the valuable recommendations. I will definitely check all of these out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Put these in the Battery Savings Tip thread, but thought they belong here, as well ...

Widgetsoid
    is a GREAT app allowing one to create their own switcher widget w/ the desired items -- and it is FREE on Android Market!!! I use it and love it!!
    * Can be a little intimidating, but there is a good Youtube tutorial if you search for Widgetsoid in Youtube.

Another great free app is AutomateIT -- let's you create actions based on phone state or events. You can auto-adjust screen brightness when docked, on charger or off charger, enable and disable Bluetooth based on certain criteria (I have mine turn on BT and GPS, set brightness to AUTO when docked in car dock and turn off BT and GPS and set brightnedd to 30% when undocked, for example). All sorts of stuff based on phone state and actions such as application launch, dock state, power state, battery level, etc. Too much to list. Kinda works like a Razr SmartActions and some actions can equate to battery savings.

Also the Verizon Wifi Auto-on is another good widget and available for free on Android Market. Allows you to identify locations where you want 3G/4G turned off and WiFi turned on. Uses Verizon Location or Google Location services to identify if you are at a user defined location and automatically turn WiFi on and connects. I have it auto turn on when I arrive to work and when I arrive home -- when I leave either it turns WiFi off and enabled 3G/4G. Since Wifi is less of a battery drain than 3G/4G data, it's a great way to auto-switch w/o having to remember to do it manually.
    Last edited by ripper2860; 11-27-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Themer Launcher
    Stock ROM (JB 4.3) -- awaiting KitKat

8. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    There is also QuickPic; it's a substitute for the stock Gallery app. Not only does keep the pictures in their separate folders, but you have the option to hide folders. This is particularly good if an app adds pictures for its operation.

If you want to know more about the operations, then there's System Panel and Elixir 2. They give information on CPU, Battery, etc. System Panel can give history so you can see what's been happening.

And if you're into seeing the battery percentage expressed in single digits (rather than jumps of 10), there are several app that'll do that. I used Battery Left on my OG Droid as it was about the only way to read the Seidio extended battery. The widget has 3 lines of information that can show information like estimated battery, estimated voltage %, system battery %, calibration accuracy, time left until battery empty, time left until battery is full (when charging), clock time that battery will die (12 and 24 hr), voltage and temperature (Fahrenheit and Celsius).

If all that isn't necessary, there's Circle Battery Widget. It's simple, just a circle telling you your battery percentage.

Currently I'm using Battery Circle. It displays like Circle Battery Widget, but instead of taking up room on your screen, it appears on your notifications bar. When you pull the notifications bar down, it displays voltage, temperature and how long you've been unplugged from the charger.
    Last edited by aaf709; 11-28-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Links