DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the fence with Bionic

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by dpw2atox View Post
    I caved in and installed the leaked OTA (5.7.893) a few weeks ago and I'll answer these as best as I can.

1 - Data issues are greatly improved though not totally resolved. They fixed the long reconnect time, false data connections, 3/4G switching was improved, overall radio stability was improved. That said I still have to toggle airplane mode every 1-2 days but this is greatly improved from the 2-3 times per day with the stock radio.

2 - The bootloader is locked and it is totally up to Verizon/Motorola as to if it will ever be unlocked. Now there is progress being made in porting CM over to the Bionic via 2nd init so that will help a lot but again its not as good as a totally unlocked bootloader.

3 - The leaked OTA does improve the camera speed on the Bionic as well as improve performance, update webtop, etc.... That said the Galaxy Nexus is still faster than the Bionic (TI Omap 4460 @ 1.2Ghz in the Galaxy Nexus vs TI Omap 4430 @ 1.0Ghz in the Bionic). We wont really have a valid comparison though till both devices are running Ice Cream Sandwich which will take a few months.

My own 2c is that I love my Bionic and bought it day 1. If I had to pick now it would be a harder decision, with the extended battery I can go for all day easily with medium to heavy use and not have any issue. It isnt perfect but I feel that it is a solid device and 1-2 more OTA updates will make it amazing. I'd say see which features you need and if you want a stock UI or dont mind a modified UI.
    Great overview, appreciate it.. debating on taking the plunge. Figure i'll wait through this weekend to see if the alleged soak test really does happen and what bubbles up as a result. Not setting high expectations on that whole thing. On the data issue, I'm starting fall into the camp that feels it is more of a Verizon infrastructure issue than a phone issue.
    Cheers,
    Dawg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    Cheers,
    'dawg

"Never take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive!"
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Data issue is resolved by toggling airplane mode on and off right? I just bought a bionic off swappa. I tried the bionic, razr and rezound out in store. Compared them all side by side. Bionic and Razr were fastest imo. Side by side with my girlfriends razr i didn't notice a speed difference on the bionic. The bionic seems pretty solid to me although i am installing camera zoom fx right away as we did on my girls razr. Moto needs camera software that doesn't suck saturation out of photos.

Sent from my Incredible 2
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID 3
    I am a little worried about the data issues... but i am pretty sure i am going to make the jump to the bionic on 12/1. I have very strong 3g in my area... but no 4g. Hopefully it will work out.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    My dad has had his bionic for 3 months. He loves it. He makes fun of my droid and says "im twenty times faster than you! Hahaha"

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    droid bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHANO View Post
    I am a little worried about the data issues... but i am pretty sure i am going to make the jump to the bionic on 12/1. I have very strong 3g in my area... but no 4g. Hopefully it will work out.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
    When in high 3g.. i never loose data and ive gotten 312 kbyte/s dl speeds.. did 712mb in 45min... faster than my gfs father straight 3g hotspot and he pays 60 a month for 5gb... im rlly diggin my bionic lately. If this ota is solid.. imma be satisfied

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links