DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospective Bionic owner, few questions

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Motorola Droid 1

Prospective Bionic owner, few questions

Hi guys i'm coming from the original droid running 2.2.1 with cyanogenmod 6.1.2. I've been long due for an upgrade and have considered the bionic. The razr does not have the option for an extended life battery and i honestly do not like a phone that thin.

A few things; i plan on rooting my bionic on the first day (if i get it) for tethering, overclocking, and possibly installing another rom. I'm used to my droid's interface and don't really like the motoblur or whatever the new crap is called, is there a rom or anything i can do to make my bionic run using the original droid interface?

any cons of this phone? i see a lot of people complaining about battery life and i do intend on getting an extended life battery. I've seen some threads on extreme shutter lag when using the camera.

thanks in advance!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    As far as I know the Bionic has the best battery life of all the 4G LTE phones. An extended battery would make it a non issue. The camera shutter lag is crummy and the camera is not all that great to begin with anyway. The shutter lag issue will be corrected with an update that will be pushed out in the next couple of months. The biggest concern about this phone is the data drop issue when switching back and forth from a 3G area and 4G area. Some people don't have a problem with it and other people installed a leaked update that fixes the issue. All lot of people installed the leaked update and still have the issue including me. Honestly if I were you I would hold off until the Nexus comes out just because of the potential data drop issue. I actually have some regrets buying the Bionic because of this
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Twitter
    MJZ2112
    Phone
    MotoX baby!
    if you want a phone you can overclock and ROM then wait for the Nexus, the Bionic bootloader is locked so no OC or custom kernels here... which to be honest isnt an issue as there is NO need to overclock this beast.
    You know how that rabbit feels
    Going under your Speeding Wheels
    Bright images flashing by
    Like windshields towards a fly...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I'd wait for the pending ota update for Bionic, rumored to be this month, then check out the chatter on this forum. If the ota fixes the identified issues the Bionic can be a huge player. Think you will find some initial issues with most phones, I must admit, the Bionic has had it's share.
    Cheers,
    'dawg

"Never take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive!"
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Motorola Droid 1
    i assume you're talking about the nexus prime/galaxy nexus, i see rumors of it being released in late november, as is the release of the ota update for bionic. Maybe i'll wait till christmas and see how things play out.

do you guys have any idea if i can still have the old school droid interface on my new phone be it a nexus or a bionic?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    I have a Bionic, rooted...I never really had too many issues with the data even before rooting. Battery was not great on the stock battery but the extended will give me almost 36 hours on a charge...which for me is darn good for a smartphone these days! I did the leaked update and it did make the camera faster...pictures are fine for my tastes but I did purchase Camera Zoom FX at the recommendation of those on this and a few other forums I frequent. AWESOME pictures with this app...but it IS a $5 app.

As for roms...I was using the stock Blur which to be honest wasn't all that bad...I had an OG Droid as well before this and liked the stock as well (I don't think that was Blur though?)...However I just started using Go Launcher and love it a LOT! For right now a ROM won't give me any real benefits over rooted "stock" rom...but that's just me...Overclocking isn't an issue since this phone FLIES!!! It is SOOOOO fast stock...I couldn't imagine overclocking and making it faster!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Motorola Droid 1
    thanks for that, as you well know the droid is only 550mhz and i overclocked mine to 800.. since adw launcher is part of cyanogen mod, i often find my phone lagging and freezing up. sounds like that is not an issue with the bionic.

I guess the major factor now is this signal issue.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    This phone is great except for the data connection issue. I installed Green Power and I haven't had a problem since then. Data connection goes away for a couple of minutes when it switches from 3G to 4G but that is no big deal.
    I don't trust Samsung products anymore because I had a DVD player I just gave away. A year ago they delayed an update so they could sell a newer product. I also don't like the cheap plastic they use in their phones. They should charge a few dollors more and make a better case.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    rossi636
    Phone
    D1 and iP4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonpwn View Post
    i assume you're talking about the nexus prime/galaxy nexus, i see rumors of it being released in late november, as is the release of the ota update for bionic. Maybe i'll wait till christmas and see how things play out.

do you guys have any idea if i can still have the old school droid interface on my new phone be it a nexus or a bionic?
    What your asking for is a Vanilla Rom for the Bionic. Not sure that there is a Vanilla Rom out there yet for it. As far as overclocking, no good cause the kernel is stock an will be stock until the bootloader is unlocked.
    I myself am thinking of getting the Bionic over the Razr. The price being dragged down by all the phone releases lately is what is the main driver for me.

Your going to want to put CM9 on it in a few months anyway.
    David

►o·pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonpwn View Post
    Any custom launcher (LPP, ADW, GO, etc.) will replace the Blur interface and give you something close to stock Android. Blur will still run in the background, but with the Bionic's hardware it's not an issue as far as performance is concerned.

My previous phone was an OG Droid as well (running CM7 and LPP, @800MHz) and let me tell you, the Bionic is like night and day. The biggest hardware difference is the amount of RAM. Going from 256Mb on the OG to 1Gb is life-altering.

Personally I have not had any of the data-drop issues, nor has my wife who also has a Bionic (we live in a good 4G area). The only issues we've had are the minor bugs that should be fixed in the update (apps not installing properly on SD card, shutter lag). I agree that you might as well wait for the update and see how it plays out, since many Bionics do seem to suffer from the data drop issue. It's a great phone though, I would highly recommend it if you're not interested in the Galaxy Nexus.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links