DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: If the "leaked" patches fix all the major issues with the Bionic...

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question: If the "leaked" patches fix all the major issues with the Bionic...

why isn't there an OTA patch released yet?

This is a serious question. I doubt (ok, I hope not that) Moto is using the "let's see what people post on Droidforums about the leaked patches" method of testing for the issues. Software testing is a very methodical and predictable procedure. Letting the general public customers "try this" method is absolutely one of the worst ways to go about it. It's hit or miss... and totally depends on the customer deliberately making the software go through the suspected paths that generate the problems. If the "tester" doesn't put it through all it's paces, exercising each part of the code, and then reports the phone is working great, what has been accomplished? No, the Motorola engineers have to be smarter than that.

The fact that there's still no OTA patch released tells me that Moto hasn't fixed all the bugs that are on the "punch list" they disclosed over a month ago, in particular the data dropout issue. All it takes is one person to apply the patch and say they still have the data dropout issue, to tell me it didn't fix the problem, no matter how many say their phone works great now.

The lack of an OTA fix only reinforces that things still aren't right with the Bionic firmware.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Non rooted here, I updated to the 5.7.893 and still experience data drop outs.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Of course they watch the forums, it's cost effective risk free real world testing in addition to their engineers and developers. As consumers we will push these phones 24/7 in far more places and under more circumstances than their team of engineers and testers. I'm more concerned with why some bionics perform perfectly and some are horrible. For example, some people never had any problems at all and some went through 4 phones. My phone is near perfect after the leaks. It's super stable and crazy fast. Some people are still reporting problems, so I hope there is no hardware problems on the phone. I'm pretty sure some problems were on big red's towers needing tweaking too. Hopefully all will get resolved with the final OTA. They probably just have their hands full with trying to get this OTA final and get the Razr successfully launched. Hopefully I should say. Moto has not let me down yet, I sure don't want them to start now.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus (rooted)
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMike View Post
    Non rooted here, I updated to the 5.7.893 and still experience data drop outs.
    Same here, non-root, stock, 5.7.893, and I get data dropouts, but far fewer of them.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    droid incredible
    Updated to 5.7.893 and still have data dropouts. I just keep my phone on 3G and it seems like its better. Also after update a day later my phone turned itself off for the first time and the only thing I could do to bring it up was a batt. pull. I also reseated SIM card and it hasnt shut down since, but yes, I still have data drop issues along with total signal loss. Im really hoping Moto fixes these issues bc I do love the phone when its working!!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Just download the one shot upgrade zip and install it through stock recovery. No root necessary.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    Of course they watch the forums, it's cost effective risk free real world testing in addition to their engineers and developers. As consumers we will push these phones 24/7 in far more places and under more circumstances than their team of engineers and testers.
    As a firmware developer, I totally disagree with this. It's totally FULL of risk. It shouldn't be the case, but that would explain why there's so many bugs in the Bionic's code. But to think that code is written and then dumped onto the masses for testing is really REALLY naive. No, be assured, this is NOT how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    I'm more concerned with why some bionics perform perfectly and some are horrible. For example, some people never had any problems at all and some went through 4 phones. My phone is near perfect after the leaks. It's super stable and crazy fast. Some people are still reporting problems, so I hope there is no hardware problems on the phone. I'm pretty sure some problems were on big red's towers needing tweaking too. Hopefully all will get resolved with the final OTA. They probably just have their hands full with trying to get this OTA final and get the Razr successfully launched. Hopefully I should say. Moto has not let me down yet, I sure don't want them to start now.
    Unless you know exactly what conditions trigger the data dropout, you have no way of duplicating those conditions except by chance, to see if it's been fixed in the patch. That's just how you test software. So the fact that "some" people don't see the data dropouts after installing these patches is NOT proof that the problem is fixed. That's the "hope and a prayer" method of software development, and I would NEVER let anyone on my team develop and test software like that, because I'm just asking for bugs!

As far as pinning your hopes on the Razr being much better, maybe there's a different, "better" team of software developers working that phone's firmware, but I can't believe they are not re-using as much code as possible except for the code that actually interfaces with the hardware. So, I'm inclined to say "good luck" with the Razr.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Well I am kind of basing my comments on comments made by a Moto employee. I guess it could be his opinion but I believe it. As far as the Razr, I am just hoping that the launch preparation is what is delaying the final OTA for us.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    I'm not saying they intentionally leaked it. Just that since it's leaked and being used they watch the comments on it. I should have clarified that.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    droid incredible
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links