DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Power Button + Email question;

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Power Button + Email question;

Long time Blackberry user here, but I love this Bionic. Out of habit I always hit the power button to turn off the screen when I'm done with my phone. I'm assuming that this does the same thing as waiting for the screen to turn off on its own. Is that correct?

Even if I hit the screen off button (quick tap on the power button), the phone should still get emails, right? I'm not getting emails until I turn the phone back on and then I will get three or four in a bunch. I'm using Gmail for emails. This problem may relate to my next question.

Also, I've noticed a problem that I think is the same issue that others are reporting but I'm not certain. If I'm at home and I'm using my wireless network and if I disconnect the wireless network I have no data connectivity, even though it shows a 3g connection. I live in an area with no 4g coverage, and the phone has never been in 4g mode. The phone should change back to 3g for data, correct?

After reading some suggestions from other posts I downloaded and installed Reconnect, and I changed some other settings.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Last edited by WenValley; 10-21-2011 at 08:42 AM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid!
    That sounds more like you have some setting enabled that prevents syncing until your phone is "awakened."

Check maybe the battery saver mode you're on?

And no- with the issue others are having you won't see either a 3g or a 4g at the top, just the signal bars. If you see a 3g or a 4g you're receiving data.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thank You Scribble. I hadn't tripped to the significance of the "signal bars" vs the "3g or 4g" icon. You're spot on, when I don't see the 3g icon, I have no data.

I'm presuming that my question about loss of data is also the well documented issue currently with the Bionic regarding no data.

The phone "should" receive emails even when the screen is clicked off via the power button, is that a true statement?
    Last edited by WenValley; 10-21-2011 at 10:31 AM.
  4. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Yes, that's a true statement. You should receive emails if the screen is off. When the phone is in its holster I hear the notification for any email I receive.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
    Thank You Scribble. I hadn't tripped to the significance of the "signal bars" vs the "3g or 4g" icon. You're spot on, when I don't see the 3g icon, I have no data.

I'm presuming that my question about loss of data is also the well documented issue currently with the Bionic regarding no data.

The phone "should" receive emails even when the screen is clicked off via the power button, is that a true statement?

As Scribble indicated there is a setting under menu/settings/battery that is either Data Saver or Battery Saver that stops all data when the screen is off. You may have that option checked.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    I have the "Data Saver" mode now set to off, and the Battery Mode set to "Performance Mode", thanks for your input.

If I set the battery mode to "nighttime saver" I should get emails during the day then, right?

We have an IPcamera that sends an email to the phone when the motion alarm is tripped, so I want to get those emails 24/7. Thanks for your help Bayou;
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
    I have the "Data Saver" mode now set to off, and the Battery Mode set to "Performance Mode", thanks for your input.

If I set the battery mode to "nighttime saver" I should get emails during the day then, right?

We have an IPcamera that sends an email to the phone when the motion alarm is tripped, so I want to get those emails 24/7. Thanks for your help Bayou;
    Yes, you'll get emails during the day. You'll also get them at night if you are using the phone. It only stops receiving data after 15 minutes of non-use during the night time hours.

Links