DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: (BIONIC)Tips to make Battery life Longer! :)

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    I plug my phone in all night every night and the extended lasts from 6.30am to around midnight with no power saving tricks, I'll literally be on 1% when I plug in to charge - it should have shipped with the extended battery IMO

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Driod Bionic
    +1 for extended battery. The phone should have just shipped with it. For a while with the standard battery all I did was try and figure out how to make it last longer. I was not getting that much enjoyment out of the phone. Now with the extended battery, I never even think about it. I do whatever I want and use it as much as I want. I take it out of the cradle 7:30AM and by 11:00PM I still usually have about 35% battery left.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    :: Driod ::
    With my OG Droid, I would just leave 3G on all the time, not switching to Wi-Fi ever. With the Bionic, I did the same (but with 4G of course). I would get about 8 hours of battery life with moderate use. Sorta following the advice of the OP, I just went 1 day, 3 hours and 45 minutes and still have 15% battery left with moderate use.

What I do is similar to what OP did, and really simple. I leave Wi-Fi on all the time and use Tasker to turn off data (3G/4G) whenever Wi-Fi is connected, which is at work and home. I did turn the data off, using DataSwitch, on my way to and from work, which it 45-60 minutes each way.

While I really do not need to do this on an average day as I can charge the phone at work so it only needs to last me until I go to bed where I can charge it overnight. If I were to go out for a long period of time where there is no Wi-Fi, like a concert, or a night out with friends, I would consider leaving the data off and only turning it on when I need it... checking email, checking Facebook, read news, etc.. that way, my battery would last the entire day/night while still being able to send/receive texts and calls, which is what I would use mostly if I was out.

I wish Tasker had the ability to switch it from 4G to 3G. Then I think I would be able to leave the data on (when not in a Wi-Fi area) but have it switch to 3g when the screen is off and then switch to 4G when the screen is on.

Thanks for the advice OP.
    Droid Bionic
    [R3]BLURR3D
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    I absolutely refuse to buy a smartphone that's main purpose is to keep me connected to things, and then turn off data. Simply defeats the purpose.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 4G using DroidForums
    cjsmoove, FastKatt and spooner2007 like this.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    :: Driod ::
    Quote Originally Posted by sforsyth01 View Post
    I absolutely refuse to buy a smartphone that's main purpose is to keep me connected to things, and then turn off data. Simply defeats the purpose.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 4G using DroidForums
    Turning it off when not in use does not defeat the purpose IMHO. You purchased a car to get you from point A to point B, does not mean you leave it running.

When you need it, simply turn it data on with one press (not too hard).

The main point of my post was to say that if you use Wifi as much as you can, you will get MUCH better battery life. With Wifi on, you still get data and are "connected"

I would only need to turn data off when I need my battery to last a really long time, not day to day. In those circumstances, I would rather turn off data when I am not using it instead of having my phone die and not be connected at all.
    wilboy likes this.
    Droid Bionic
    [R3]BLURR3D
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I get home from work roughly 12 hours after I take the phone off the charger. I turn 4g and wifi off because I don't get wifi at work. I only use 4g for things I need it for. When I get home after 12 hours off charge I still have 80% battery left. Only use it about an hour and a half total during work between my breaks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    wilboy likes this.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    droidbionicroot
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Here is my tip, lol. Extended Battery, Liberty or Eclipse rom works good for me, make sure WiFi isn't always searching. I'm not a intensely heavy user, but I can get about 3 days with a fair day of usage.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    some interesting tips here.

I have had my bionic for about 5 days. I definitely noticed the lack of battery life. It made me realize that I am glad I didn't get the Razr, because it would drive me crazy to not have options like extended battery and/or replacement battery. This 4G takes up some serious juice.

Today I decided I liked my Bionic enough to keep it for the long run. So this morning I rooted my bionic and installed the latest "Liberty" ROm. THis rom is great for helping battery life. I have noticed a difference with regular use, I will have a better idea over the next few days. All the bloat is gone , and Liberty runs great, as far as im conserned.

I too agree, that I shouldn't have to toggle back and forth between settings to help with battery life. Especially since I don't consider myself a "Power User". When I am at work (atleast 8 hours per day) I don't use my phone much. Some browsing during breaks. ............ but at the same time, If thats what it took , I would do it. and i will definitely keep the teams ideas in mind.

Will we (boinic people) ever get that software the Razr uses; that manages these features based on GPS, etc. ?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cebosound View Post
    Will we (boinic people) ever get that software the Razr uses; that manages these features based on GPS, etc. ?
    Tasker does that, and a whole lot more. You can get it from the Market or direct from the developer.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    FastKatt
    Phone
    Rooted RazrMaxx
    Maybe you should give Tasker a try?
    Me: Motorola Droid RazrMaxx - Rooted
    Wife: Samsung Galaxy Note2 - Stock
    Son: Motorola Droid 4 - Rooted