DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Ics?

Member #
    Phone
    Bionic

Ics?

Hey guys sorry haven't seen a thread about this yet, but anyone know about our lovely Bionics getting ICS?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    I think you have not seen a thread on it because i don't think anyone really knows if it is coming to the Bionic or not. I would hope so, but one of the features of ICS is the there is no need to the buttons on the bottom of the device so idk how that would translate to a phone that has those buttons.
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Just because ICS doesn't require physical/capacitive buttons, that does not mean current phones with buttons will not be upgraded to it. Nor does it mean that every phone that runs ics out of the box will lack buttons, manufacturers may still inculde them for other purposes. I think you can be pretty confident that the bionic will get upgraded to ics in a reasonable amount of time after google releases it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus (rooted)
    Quote Originally Posted by devils3023 View Post
    Just because ICS doesn't require physical/capacitive buttons, that does not mean current phones with buttons will not be upgraded to it. Nor does it mean that every phone that runs ics out of the box will lack buttons, manufacturers may still inculde them for other purposes. I think you can be pretty confident that the bionic will get upgraded to ics in a reasonable amount of time after google releases it.
    Yeah, the combo of Google's statement at I/O this spring that the major manufacturers would commit to updates on their devices for 18 months(?) plus their desire to acquire Moto Mobility translates to optimism for me.

What doesn't translate is how LONG it will that will take. Manufacturer skins have a lot to do with device porting times. The good news is that the MotoBLUR that must not be named SEEMS thinner than in the past - perhaps that will help with streamlining updates?

Personally, I'll wait to root until a version of CM built from ICS source is available, if it seems like it will take too long for Moto/VZW to get an update thru the pipeline.

Links