DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Navigation or Google Maps

  1. Master Droid
    FunN4Lo's Avatar
    Member #
    33783
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    932
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post
    Navigation is a full blown GPS Navigation router. Maps is just vanilla Google Maps, with your location overlay.

    Personally, my wish list being able to feed a custom, pre-mapped out google maps saved direction into Navigation. That be great for long trips planned out beforehand.
    Droid Does

    Log into your Google account on your PC. Open Google Maps on the PC. Plan your route. Save it to "My Maps" Open Maps on your Android device. Press> Layers (at the top of the screen looks like a pile of paper) Press> My Maps. Cha-ching. If you have odd way points along the way, you can not navigate them by navigating to the end point. Navigation on the Droid will take you the most direct route. But you can Navigate from one way point (balloon) to the next by pressing that balloon.
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  2. Droid
    Ziggie's Avatar
    Member #
    93821
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #12
    For long trips you could do a series of direction shortcuts by long pressing on the home screen, selecting Directions and Navigation, set up various end points one at a time, label them "Day 1 trip to (destination)", "Day 2" etc., then make a desktop folder and place the trip shortcuts in it. A little tedious, but it works.


    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  3. Master Droid
    FunN4Lo's Avatar
    Member #
    33783
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    932
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
    For long trips you could do a series of direction shortcuts by long pressing on the home screen, selecting Directions and Navigation, set up various end points one at a time, label them "Day 1 trip to (destination)", "Day 2" etc., then make a desktop folder and place the trip shortcuts in it. A little tedious, but it works.


    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    To set up multiple locations like that, it is also easier (less tedious) to do on a PC. Just make sure you are logged into your Google account. "Star" the locations. Then from your Android device Maps>Menu>More>My Places
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  4. Droid Newbie
    wvcadle's Avatar
    Member #
    254755
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Milestone X
    #14
    The problem I have is that the maps all show up differently depending on how you get to them. Open Navigation, tap on maps, it gives you the maps with layers, including satellite.. but doesn't show speed, direction, etc. Google maps does, but doesn't offer navigation. Tap on the navigation icon in Google maps, and it opens a browser window... wfh??

    My ideal maps/navigation option would be a map that opens with layers, shows speed and direction, and by tapping on navigation, will let you speak or type in a destination and take you there. Why can't this all be in one app?
  5. Master Droid
    FunN4Lo's Avatar
    Member #
    33783
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    932
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by wvcadle View Post
    The problem I have is that the maps all show up differently depending on how you get to them. Open Navigation, tap on maps, it gives you the maps with layers, including satellite.. but doesn't show speed, direction, etc. Google maps does, but doesn't offer navigation. Tap on the navigation icon in Google maps, and it opens a browser window... wfh??

    My ideal maps/navigation option would be a map that opens with layers, shows speed and direction, and by tapping on navigation, will let you speak or type in a destination and take you there. Why can't this all be in one app?
    I use Google maps everyday. Mine does all that in one place. If I was guessing... at some point in time you have set (maybe accidently) defaults that are driving you all over the place. I am not sure if you need to undo things in Maps, your browser, Navigation, or all of the above. Menu>Manage Apps> then look at all of the different places you list and see what is in the "Launch by Default" sections of all those apps. Clear those defaults
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  6. Droid Newbie
    wvcadle's Avatar
    Member #
    254755
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Milestone X
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by FunN4Lo View Post
    I use Google maps everyday. Mine does all that in one place. If I was guessing... at some point in time you have set (maybe accidently) defaults that are driving you all over the place. I am not sure if you need to undo things in Maps, your browser, Navigation, or all of the above. Menu>Manage Apps> then look at all of the different places you list and see what is in the "Launch by Default" sections of all those apps. Clear those defaults
    By what method are you accessing Google maps? By just clicking on the 'Maps' icon, or on the Navigation icon?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Google Navigation & Maps
    By eaEVO1 in forum Android Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM
  2. Google Maps Navigation
    By jeffm1000 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
  3. Google Maps Navigation
    By Kittysback in forum HTC ThunderBolt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
  4. Street Incident shows on Google Maps, but not Google Navigation
    By tommyz in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM
  5. Google Maps navigation via bluetooth?
    By phreek in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Search tags for this page

difference between google maps and google navigation
,

difference between google maps and navigation

,
difference between navigation and google maps
,

droid bionic navigation

,

droid bionic navigation app

,
navigation app for droid bionic
,
what is the difference between google maps and google naviga
,
what is the difference between google navigation and maps
,
what's the difference between maps and navigation
,
which .navigation app came with droid bionic
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+