DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best program to move files from one area of the phone to another?

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

What's the best program to move files from one area of the phone to another?

I have a few programs to do this on the phone (Astro) - but I can't find anything on my PC that will let me move stuff around (other than the SD card).

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    SSH,

I am a little confused by your question. If you are using a Windows machine, then the files will show up using "My Computer". One thing that helped me was to install the latest moto drivers for my PC, and now when I hook the phone up to a USB port and select the mass storage switch on the phone, I do get two drive letters assigned to the phone's SD and SD-ext directories. If you are using a windows PC, and your drivers are good, you should get two USB remote drive tones indicating both sd and sd-ext are mapped properly on the PC.

Besides astro on your phone, and Root Explorer on my phone, my Bionic came with an application called "files" in the app tray. This basic phone program will let you see files in both sd and sd-ext, and you can move, copy, delete etc.

Craig
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    qsminsd
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    I have a few programs to do this on the phone (Astro) - but I can't find anything on my PC that will let me move stuff around (other than the SD card).
    Just use Windows Explorer.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Windows explorer only see's the SD card. I want something that let's me see everything and move stuff around on my Windows machine. It's too hard to manage with the phone's programs.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    ssh,

As far as I know, you will not be able to access anything on the phone other than sd and sd-ext from your desktop. Unkess you are using ADB, but that is not a windows GUI per se.

Back to what I was describing earlier, natively your PC will/should see the physical sd card (sd-ext) without any problem. In order to see the internal memory (sd) partition on the phone, you will need the proper windows drivers. I got mine updated when I updated my ADB. In essence the internal (sd) is viewed by the PC much like an external camera, your PC needs drivers. Once the drivers are installed, when you plug your phone into your USB Windows Explorer should assign SD and SD-ext unique "new" drive letters, depending upon which of the three "switches" you toggle in the usb connected notification pull-down on the phone.

Craig
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I wouldn't even need to access this stuff on my OG Droid. But with the weird way this saves data I need to move stuff around. I still haven't really figured it out.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    SSH,

I know you had those problems finding your videos at first, and it did take me a bit to get squared away, but as much as a lot of folks are complaining about the file setup it really is a better deal. Better because the max we will ever see with the external sd card is 32 gig. If moto had gone the old Droid route, then the file system on the phone would be maxed out with system files. While we do not have the full 16 gig on the phone as advertised as "ram", we do have an additional 8 gig that we can use for ourselves, bringing the real potential storage to 40 gigs (less the bit of loss for formatiing etc.) So I am very happy to trade off a little file gyrating for the extra storage. And with the ability to have particlar application data (like Titanium Backups, etc.) happening on the internal SD, it lets me keep my external SD "clean" by only having music, photos and videos.. Basically stuff not needed to run applications, so it would make swapping out the external sd card much easier. You could have a card with music, perhaps one with just videos for yourself or the kids. Much better arrangement, imho. KInda like the capacative buttons on the phone. Different location than the D1, but I will get it programmed into my pea brain, eventually.

Craig
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD (Rooted 4.1.1)
    Windows.can access both thw SD card and your internal phone memory. You can try updating your drivers, like the others have said, and it should show up separately in the "my computer" window. So you'll see what look like two usb drives inserted. They may look the same but they are labelled something like drive F and drive G or something similar depending on your computer. At least that's how it shows up with my phone when I plug it in and put it in disc drive mode.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    D1>D2>Inc2>Rez>Nexus>S3>IP5
    I use the script manager. it works well for me. but you have to be rooted to use it. when you open it, go to settings, more, config and browse as root. this will allow you access to every file on your phone.

long press the file and press copy and then paste it to what ever file you want.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Files

I'm not complaining about the amount of storage at all. just the way they set it up. If you go to the system to move files to the SD it puts them in in the media section which isn't correct.

I'd like to know where I can put my pictures and videos other than internal memory.

I imagine that would be sd-ext however I'm not sure if I just need to move the files or directories also.

Very confusing. Then you have to move them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links