DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lapdock?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by devils3023 View Post
    I hope that is true, but AT&T requires a $45 4gb tethering package for the lapdock unless you use it on wi-fi only.
    How can they even enforce that though?
  2. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorV View Post
    That's insane. I hope Verizon doesn't pull that garbage. As if the lapdock wasn't overpriced enough. I would hope the $30 Unlimited data plan would cover it and if not then the lapdock idea will die a really quick death.
    Yeah I can't imagine anyone buying it if we had to pay more for it. That sort of defeats the plan for Moto to introduce different types of the lapdock too.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    SAMSUNG GALAXY S3
    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    To me the laptop dock has always been a gimmick!!! I will not purchase it!!! All I need is the Bionic and my HD tv...
    DITTO...especially on my 62'...
    Member #
    There are hacks for the Atrix that open up the lapdock to basically full linux, and avoid the tethering charges the same as you would get around using your phone as a mobile hotspot without paying for it by rooting your phone. Only a matter of time before that coding is done for the Bionic as well. In the meantime, you could just plug into a wifi network and rock and roll. I agree that ATT charging a premium to use the lapdock accessory that already cost a bit of change is a huge ripoff, but rooting your phone fixes that injustice.

Gimmicky, perhaps, but a deal breaker for me. I want the phone for the lapdocking ability.

E
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid x
    Personally if its going to be that expensive who would even think about purchasing this. Might as well purchase a acheap netbook and lug that around than this thing. I wouldn't be paying extra for something that basically puts my phone on a larger screen.

Anyways would be a good accessory if it was priced in the 150-300 range but anything more is not worth it. Even with CORP discounts this thing still would not be worth it.

If anyone thinks that paying extra tethering package is ok, there's an issue with that but, hey if your already planning on paying for hotspot and you have grandfathered unlimited data you will also get unlimited hotspot for additional $30 which isn't too bad either when you think about mbb plans 5gb/$50-10gb/$80 and the 2gb/$20 hotspot feature. $30 extra isn't too bad but if you are still just looking to use the lapdock .... $30 extra might not be worth it.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsmoove View Post
    DITTO...especially on my 62'...
    Wow! you must have some serious bank. Even so, where did you even find a 62 foot TV? I thought those were only available if you owned your own football stadium
    My rumored phone's rumored specs can beat up your rumored phone's rumored specs
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by tcayton49 View Post
    Wow! you must have some serious bank. Even so, where did you even find a 62 foot TV? I thought those were only available if you owned your own football stadium
    It's jerry Jones from the cowboys.

Cj. Stands for Cowboy Jones. And the smoove is a play on smooth.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorV View Post
    If I remember right the UI is a little bit different when it's connected to the lapdock. No you don't need to pay for a tethering package for the lapdock or for hooking it up via HDMI cable to an HDTV. Tethering means that you're using your phone as an access point (internet connection) for other devices such as a laptop or desktop computer. The lapdock just changes the way you interact with your phone and that's all. The lapdock is just slapping on a glorified keyboard and monitor to your phone; it's useless by itself.
    I'm sure you caught on, but the reason I asked this question because he had already brought up the point about paying the tether cost to use the dock... and I was trying to make a point of how stupid that fee would be by comparing it to using HDMI
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    SAMSUNG GALAXY S3
    Quote Originally Posted by tcayton49 View Post
    DAMN...no wonder when I tell the women how big I am they keep laughing..lol
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links