DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preach2k

Thread: What Google Buying Motorola Could Mean for the Droid Bionic

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Liked
    158 times
    Twitter
    DroidNCState
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member

What Google Buying Motorola Could Mean for the Droid Bionic

This is a nice Article I found of How the Merger With Google And Motorola Could Mean for The Bionic...

Yesterday, Google and Motorola announced that Google would be purchasing the latter for 12.5 billion dollars. Motorola will function as a separate entity from Google but that doesnít mean there wonít be changes. In fact, Google states that it wants to ďsuperchargeĒ Android. In other words, it wants to keep making Android better and it hopes buying out Motorola will keep them on that path.

But what does this mean for Motorola devices and more specifically, its upcoming flagship device, the Motorola Droid Bionic? In my opinion, the deal could mean two things might happen.

Both good.

First though, I want to be clear, I donít see the Droid Bionic as a whole being changed by this acquisition. Itís too far into development, itís currently out in the wilds in its final form, batterylife is said to be great, and Motorola still expects it to launch in September.
    I donít think anything will be different a launch. However, I think the future of the Droid Bionic may have been altered by this purchase, a future that suddenly seems a whole lot brighter than it did yesterday.
    Potentially Awesome Thing #1

Google is not going to play favorites with Motorola phones because itíll tick off other manufacturers like HTC and Samsung. Google even stated that Motorola will operate as a separate entity from Google.

However, you canít dispute that this purchase will bring the companies closer together and because of that, I think that Motorola phones will be quicker to get major Android updates.
    What does that mean for the Droid Bionic? Well, it means that Ice Cream Sandwich could come a whole lot faster when itís released later this year. The point of the merger was to ďsuperchargeĒ Android and I think part of that is Google wanting to get major updates out to phones not called Nexus in a much quicker fashion and the Droid Bionic could be the starting point.
    Potentially Awesome Thing #2

In the past, Motorola phones have been extremely hard to customize because of precautions the manufacturer has put into place. Specifically, Moto has locked down the bootloaders on phones rendering customization nearly impossible. The practice has definitely turned plenty of people to other companies who phones possess bootloaders that can could be unlocked more easily.
    Googleís Nexus device have no such issues and Motorola has even stated that it will be unlocking bootloaders in the future and I think itís possible that this partnership could speed up the bootloader process for the Droid Bionic.
    Google now has the ability to put pressure on Motorola to put this into effect and with HTC already offering an unlocking process for the HTC Sensation, it would make sense to get Motorola on that level. It wants to ďsuperchargeĒ Android after all. Now, will it have an unlocked bootloader at launch? I doubt it, but I wouldnít be surprised to see it come at some point after launch.

So, I donít see Google buying out Motorola affecting the Motorola Droid Bionicís present condition but I could certainly see how it might work wonders for the Droid Bionic in the future.
    What do you guys and gals think?
    Source
    jroc likes this.
    Follow Me On Twitter DroidNCState
    Proverbs 3:5-6 5Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.6In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    That seems believable, possible. I just cant wait to see happens over the next few years.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'm gonna have to disagree with this article. I don't think this acquisition will effect the Bionic at all. ICS may be coming as soon as October. Obviously the Bionic won't get it day one, but I'm pretty sure it will come rather quickly. Moto has already delayed the phone, I cant imagine them delaying ICS too-talk about a PR nightmare. Moto has already said they will be making bootloaders unlockable late this year. I would be incredibly surprised to not see some kind of HTC type online unlocking before year end. Point being, I think both of those things will happen before this acquisition is finalized. That may not happen until early next year and I expect both ICS and unlockable bootloaders well before then.
    My rumored phone's rumored specs can beat up your rumored phone's rumored specs
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    As much as I'd like to believe this nice idea, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. Google JUST completed this deal. These things take ages to finalize. It's unlikely we'll even see Google having their hand in anything Motorola Mobility does for at least a year, if they even attempt to change anything. These deals aren't usually made so one company can completely change the other, especially one that's been thriving, they're most likely after Moto's massive patent portfolio for future mobile expansion. Is it possible we'll see ICS before other phones do? maybe.
    Last edited by Liderc; 08-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post
    As much as I'd like to believe this nice idea, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. Google JUST completed this deal. These things take ages to finalize. It's unlikely we'll even see Google having their hand in anything Motorola Mobility does for at least a year, if they even attempt to change anything. These deals aren't usually made so one company can completely change the other, especially one that's been thriving, they're most likely after Moto's massive patent portfolio for future mobile expansion. Is it possible we'll see ICS before other phones do? maybe.
    I've been through an acquisition before and you're right there's confusion for weeks. Projects in the pipe line have to go through. Later they may get sabotaged, but isn't the Bionic past all this?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Links