DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Has Google's proposed acquisition of Moto changed your feelings about the Bionic?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Nexus/Liquid/Imo

Has Google's proposed acquisition of Moto changed your feelings about the Bionic?

I for one am very interested about how the proposed acquisition might effect new phones. What do you think this might mean for the Bionic (unlocked bootloader? ICS? faster updates?)? Do you want this phone more or less? Let's hear it!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    I don't thank much will change with the Bionic but I can see how future Motos will be affected for sure (n a good way). My thoughts are, I've always been a Moto fanboy so I hope HTC and Sammy are crying and since Google owns their own OS and now their own phones I hope its a matter of time before they rein victory over Apple indefinately.

I thank that's one thing Apple had a avantage on, is they own their own phones and OS so they know every nook and cranny of the OS. Windows just didn't push hard enough when they use to be on top. I thank Motos will be more compatable from here on out. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Moto Droid
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    rossi636
    Phone
    D1 and iP4S
    To answer the OP's question; not at all, it's just explains why the CEO was downplaying the bionic like it's not the biggest thing in the works.
    David

►o·pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    I definitely don't want the phone any less... but not sure if it makes me want it any more, either. I don't see this having any negative effect on the bionic directly, but it seems like it is so late in the development game the only advantage really possible would be in the form OTA updates, which Moto was already "good" about in the first place. It doesn't seem like to me that unlocked bootloaders will come out of this so soon but it may happen down the road... but then again, I could be way off on all of this.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by INCREMENTAL View Post
    I don't thank much will change with the Bionic but I can see how future Motos will be affected for sure (n a good way). My thoughts are, I've always been a Moto fanboy so I hope HTC and Sammy are crying and since Google owns their own OS and now their own phones I hope its a matter of time before they rein victory over Apple indefinately.

I thank that's one thing Apple had a avantage on, is they own their own phones and OS so they know every nook and cranny of the OS. Windows just didn't push hard enough when they use to be on top. I thank Motos will be more compatable from here on out. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Moto Droid
    That's just ignorant. Let's say VZW gobbles up every other cell carrier, except ATT, and decides to market one phone.

So now instead of a variety of brands trying to make the best, you get two, Apple and moto. There isn't any desire then to make better products except to compete with themselves.

I'd like Google to say, like Apple, here is the OS, make your systems work in this way. THEN eveyrone can make the best to fit that. right now its Google saying, here's the OS, do what you want with it.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    It's most likely a good thing overall. I don't necessarily like google(their ad practices are a monopoly and no one seems to care), but they know what they're doing and it should benefit us in the end.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    A855 with CM7
    Quote Originally Posted by nikecar View Post
    That's just ignorant. Let's say VZW gobbles up every other cell carrier, except ATT, and decides to market one phone. So now instead of a variety of brands trying to make the best, you get two, Apple and moto. There isn't any desire then to make better products except to compete with themselves. I'd like Google to say, like Apple, here is the OS, make your systems work in this way. THEN eveyrone can make the best to fit that. right now its Google saying, here's the OS, do what you want with it.
    I agree with this, BUT: What this is more likely to do, instead of lowering competition, is actually improve it. Currently Google hands out the OS and the OEMs get to play (read: screw with) it and release their version of the phone. This has been causing fragmentation in the OS, which hurts the environment. Apple never gave the OS to anyone and was therefore the only source of "innovation" for their platform. Now that google has Moto, they will have a similar advantage to Apple, in that they get to have hardware and software in house, which leads to a less fragmented system and a higher quality control IN ADDITION to Google still handing out the OS to the other OEMs. The other OEMs, not to be out done, will have to raise their standards to match the quality of the Moto-Google phones, in order to stay in the game. Trust me, they want to stay in the game. Additionally, there will be innovation among the other manufacturers to create product differentiation will lead to other innovations/advantages. Look at HTC having bought Beats, this is the kind of thing they will have to continue to do to improve their phone to meet the new Google-moto standards. What you are talking about, moto-google vrs. apple would only happen if Google decided to no longer distribute their OS, and instead locked it down like iOS.
    AdamPA1006 likes this.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by rhokaln View Post
    I agree with this, BUT: What this is more likely to do, instead of lowering competition, is actually improve it. Currently Google hands out the OS and the OEMs get to play (read: screw with) it and release their version of the phone. This has been causing fragmentation in the OS, which hurts the environment. Apple never gave the OS to anyone and was therefore the only source of "innovation" for their platform. Now that google has Moto, they will have a similar advantage to Apple, in that they get to have hardware and software in house, which leads to a less fragmented system and a higher quality control IN ADDITION to Google still handing out the OS to the other OEMs. The other OEMs, not to be out done, will have to raise their standards to match the quality of the Moto-Google phones, in order to stay in the game. Trust me, they want to stay in the game. Additionally, there will be innovation among the other manufacturers to create product differentiation will lead to other innovations/advantages. Look at HTC having bought Beats, this is the kind of thing they will have to continue to do to improve their phone to meet the new Google-moto standards. What you are talking about, moto-google vrs. apple would only happen if Google decided to no longer distribute their OS, and instead locked it down like iOS.
    Damn dude you make it sound like android could compete with itself and it could just knock IOS down to an insignificant share...
    Running SS5.6/Cushzero 2.3.7
    Loving the Gingerbread deliciousness
    O/C 1.1 Ghz Chevy low voltage kernal.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I think rhokaln is right on the money. Some are saying the other companies are looking at Plan B-D after today's news. Instead, this should lead to stronger competition, and one of two scenarios: Either more phones rocking a stock Android experience OR, things like Touchwiz and Sense being redefined into something so much more than a simple overlay, more like mods (think CM7) that are actually BENEFICIAL to the OS. Personally, this doesn't make me want the Bionic more, simply because as others have stated, it is too late in the game for it to be largely impacted (I'm still getting it though, my Eris' touch screen is acting funky). But a year or two from now? A Blur-less, top notch build quality Moto phone with great battery life... optimized by Google, for Google? Yes please!
    Arkbird likes this.
  10. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillmorn View Post
    I think rhokaln is right on the money. Some are saying the other companies are looking at Plan B-D after today's news. Instead, this should lead to stronger competition, and one of two scenarios: Either more phones rocking a stock Android experience OR, things like Touchwiz and Sense being redefined into something so much more than a simple overlay, more like mods (think CM7) that are actually BENEFICIAL to the OS. Personally, this doesn't make me want the Bionic more, simply because as others have stated, it is too late in the game for it to be largely impacted (I'm still getting it though, my Eris' touch screen is acting funky). But a year or two from now? A Blur-less, top notch build quality Moto phone with great battery life... optimized by Google, for Google? Yes please!
    This times a billion.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links