DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The good news about the Bionic being delayed

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid

The good news about the Bionic being delayed

I know we have all been waiting for the Bionic and it sucks that the "end of waiting" won't be for another month or so but if you read Motorola's earnings statement from their CEO, there may be a few silver linings in this Bionic cloud.

First, Jha (Motorola's CEO) said that they wanted to "ensure that we deliver an exceptional consumer experience". While most of us wish we were reading this on a Bionic right now, I personally would prefer that it is a quality product that lives up to the hype as opposed to one that was rushed to the market that wasn't ready just to appease us clamoring for it.

Second, a major part of Motorola's business portfolio is the revenue they receive from their patents. With that being said, Jha said part of the delay was so they could develop their own 4g chip that would be used in the Bionic and future devices. This new 4g chip isn't just to improve the Bionic, but their patent portfolio. In order to ensure that this new chip brings in revenue through other manufacturers using it, it would need to give these manufacturers a good reason to do so. How do you do that? By making it a significant improvement over the current technology. Two things come to mind that could be improved over the current technology and those are battery life and size.
    Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part but maybe we'll be rewarded for our patience with not only the first dual core 4g phone, but one with significantly better battery life in a smaller package.

I don't know if I'm right on this one, but maybe this will help make the wait a little less unbearable.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    the bad thing will be countless threads on

"I want my Bionic" or "When is it coming out?"
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I think that would be relevant if they hadn't already sent test units out. There's no changing the hardware in the current test units. If they change the hardware(the lte radio) they'll have to do more rounds of testing and push the phone back further.

If I actually believed they were delaying to put in improved hardware in the Bionic I would happily wait, but they ran into bugs, switched to a new phone entirely, ran into bugs, got delayed, ran into bugs, working the bugs out and the phone is pushed back again.

New hardware doesn't seem to be the problem here, it's making the current hardware work properly. Sadly, that 'current' hardware isn't so current anymore.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post
    I think that would be relevant if they hadn't already sent test units out. There's no changing the hardware in the current test units. If they change the hardware(the lte radio) they'll have to do more rounds of testing and push the phone back further.

If I actually believed they were delaying to put in improved hardware in the Bionic I would happily wait, but they ran into bugs, switched to a new phone entirely, ran into bugs, got delayed, ran into bugs, working the bugs out and the phone is pushed back again.

New hardware doesn't seem to be the problem here, it's making the current hardware work properly. Sadly, that 'current' hardware isn't so current anymore.
    He did say the Bionic would have this new chip so they must have been working on it for some time.

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

How do you know any of that is true about the new phone? Maybe it was ready to go but then they saw what other manufacturers were working on and decided they wanted to hold it back to make it better than the competition. Just because something isn't released when we want to doesn't mean its because there are problems.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by tcayton49 View Post

How do you know any of that is true about the new phone? Maybe it was ready to go but then they saw what other manufacturers were working on and decided they wanted to hold it back to make it better than the competition. Just because something isn't released when we want to doesn't mean its because there are problems.
    Well we know the reason they went from the Etna to the Targa was because it was overheating and the 4G LTE radio wasn't working properly. Those are bugs.

I guess my point is, if you're installing new hardware, it has to be tested and if it's working properly we'd be seeing some reviews from people with test units with the new hardware.

They don't just release a phone without having any outside testers use it, it's a very important part of testing.

If we're only a month away (according to the CEO) then they have to have started the final production of the phone to have enough supply once the release date hits(takes a while to make a couple million units).
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by tcayton49 View Post

Well we know the reason they went from the Etna to the Targa was because it was overheating and the 4G LTE radio wasn't working properly. Those are bugs.

I guess my point is, if you're installing new hardware, it has to be tested and if it's working properly we'd be seeing some reviews from people with test units with the new hardware.

They don't just release a phone without having any outside testers use it, it's a very important part of testing.

If we're only a month away (according to the CEO) then they have to have started the final production of the phone to have enough supply once the release date hits(takes a while to make a couple million units).
    Agreed, they scrapped the Etna because of bugs, but you said once they went to Targa it was tested, had bugs, tested again, more bugs, etc. How do you know Targa has had any bugs? Targa may have been pushed back solely to make improvements to be the best on the market
    And we haven't even gotten a solid confirmed release date, so i'm not at all concerned that nothing else has been leaked either
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    ^Yea the Targa was already scheduled to be released around this time, probably later. I dont think any bugs popped up in testing it either. If anything testing of the Targa was probably ramped up since they scraped the Etna.

Quote Originally Posted by sk102704 View Post
    I know we have all been waiting for the Bionic and it sucks that the "end of waiting" won't be for another month or so but if you read Motorola's earnings statement from their CEO, there may be a few silver linings in this Bionic cloud.

First, Jha (Motorola's CEO) said that they wanted to "ensure that we deliver an exceptional consumer experience". While most of us wish we were reading this on a Bionic right now, I personally would prefer that it is a quality product that lives up to the hype as opposed to one that was rushed to the market that wasn't ready just to appease us clamoring for it.

Second, a major part of Motorola's business portfolio is the revenue they receive from their patents. With that being said, Jha said part of the delay was so they could develop their own 4g chip that would be used in the Bionic and future devices. This new 4g chip isn't just to improve the Bionic, but their patent portfolio. In order to ensure that this new chip brings in revenue through other manufacturers using it, it would need to give these manufacturers a good reason to do so. How do you do that? By making it a significant improvement over the current technology. Two things come to mind that could be improved over the current technology and those are battery life and size.
    Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part but maybe we'll be rewarded for our patience with not only the first dual core 4g phone, but one with significantly better battery life in a smaller package.

I don't know if I'm right on this one, but maybe this will help make the wait a little less unbearable.

I thought about this recently, never posted about it. Seem reasonable, believable.

And Moto helped demo LTE in China early last year. So it is possible about their own LTE chip. I think these might be in reference to them making their own LTE chip:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10968...tech-edge.html

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2829...all-transcript

But before passing the call to Marc to cover financials, I also want to comment briefly on the topic of intellectual property. As most of you know, we own one of the strongest and most respected patent portfolios in the industry. We have over 17,000 patents granted and over 7,000 patents pending with particular strength in 2G and 3G essential, non-essential patents important to the delivery of competitive products in the marketplace, video particularly compression, decompression and security technologies and finally, a leading position in 4G LTE essential.
    The other LTE phones on Verizon use LTE chips by Qualcomm. I think them making their own LTE chip is a reality....
    Last edited by jroc; 07-28-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid DNA
    So what benifit would there be to them adding they're own LTE chip? Better signal? Lower price? Less battey life used?
    -HTC Droid Incredible(Needs upgraded) waiting for the G-Nex.
    -HTC Thunderbolt(wifes phone)-battery sucker
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS3G35 View Post
    So what benifit would there be to them adding they're own LTE chip? Better signal? Lower price? Less battey life used?
    Well it would be optimized for their hardware and hopefully better battery life. Probably smaller size so better packaging. And lastly profit. They could sell it to other manufacturers.

end of line...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links