DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bionic? Why bother.

1. jev
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx D.E., Moto X
    I really don't see why anyone cares if they're not planning on buying the phone. That's what's great about freedom, if you don't want a product, then don't buy it, after all it's only a phone....
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    I really don't see why anyone cares if they're not planning on buying the phone. That's what's great about freedom, if you don't want a product, then don't buy it, after all it's only a phone....
    Its not just a phone. If you want to put it that way, why not go with the motorola razr or lg chocolate?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post
    This was pointed out by someone else: The core linux kernel that Android uses DOES in fact already support multi threading AND dual cores.

As for the relative performance increase? 15-25% over a single core sounds reasonable. Then we tie in the fact that the TB uses DDR, while the Bionic uses DDR2 and that increase jumps to (a measly) 30-40%, in the best case scenario. Which is if the app or apps running are coded for multi threading.

Will the bionic already be outdated when it comes out? Sure, and so is the Thunderbolt. To each his own.
    That isn't entirely true. An app doesn't have to be coded for a dual core CPU to see gains from it. The CPU will be used at the OS level, not the app level. Same principle for desktop applications not needing to be coded for mutiple threads to still benefit from it.

The CPU right now, to emulate multitasking, hops between tasks for split seconds, simulating concurrency. Each app runs on it's own, regardless of the type of CPU it is using. With 2 cores, you can accomplish that hopping, twice as fast.

Can an app be coded for mutiple cores? Absolutely. Does it have to be to see benefits from it? Absolutely not. The Android OS is what you should be worried about, that is what will do all the heavy lifting with mutiple cores.

I am in no way insinuating a dual core will offer 2x the performance. It would only offer that if both cores were maxed out completely, which won't happen often.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac v3 View Post
    I found this article which had a screen shot of some benchmark scores.
    http://androidevolutions.com/tag/froyo-dual-core/
    Thank you 4 that info.Now im plzed 2 know when i get my dual-core it'll b running both cores.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    here's the thread, with the article link, discussing dual core performance: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...echnology.html

in essence, the Andy OS is already capable, even in the current Froyo form, of taking advantage of dual cores:

Does this tell you that Android running on these devices uses both cores? Absolutely.
    And which versions of Android are they using? FROYO

The reality is that Froyo running on these devices have been recompiled with SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) option turned on. The Linux kernel used in Android OS has been supporting multi-core processors for many years. This should not be a news to us.
    It might be possible to further optimize these SMP enabled Android OS but even in its current state, it is more than capable of handling both cores

the article does indicate that most apps don't currently take advantage of the availability of dual core. however, i believe the point of the story is to demonstrate that, because the Andy OS is already designed to utilize more than a single core, it will be very easy to optimize apps to take advantage of dual core. therefore, getting the most out of dual core will be something that happens sooner rather than later, and single cores will quickly become outpaced by dual core devices.

moreover, my understanding is that even with apps that aren't optimized for dual core, you'll still get better performance (at least in terms of heat and batt consumption) than single core. for example, what's better/more efficient - a single 1 ghz core running at 1000 mhz, or two 1gzh cores, each operating at 500 mhz...
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post
    This was pointed out by someone else: The core linux kernel that Android uses DOES in fact already support multi threading AND dual cores.

As for the relative performance increase? 15-25% over a single core sounds reasonable. Then we tie in the fact that the TB uses DDR, while the Bionic uses DDR2 and that increase jumps to (a measly) 30-40%, in the best case scenario. Which is if the app or apps running are coded for multi threading.

Will the bionic already be outdated when it comes out? Sure, and so is the Thunderbolt. To each his own.
    from the article I read a while ago :

Pay attention to the “Productivity scores” (which are represented by green bars). As you can see, even at 1.8GHz, myTouch 4G doesn’t stand a chance against the dual-core Tegra 2 processor which is running at 1GHz. (In fact, Tegra 2 devices are performing at a level greater than 2x improvement. This is because Tegra 2 is based on more recent ARM Cortex A9 design which by itself also raises the performance bar.)

I knew I wasn't making it up. Tegra 2 is running greater than 2x single core processors.
  7. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markml0528 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Its not just a phone. If you want to put it that way, why not go with the motorola razr or lg chocolate?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
    Because you can't buy them new???

And yes it really is just a phone. Sure it can do this and that but if you don't want then don't buy it. No need to try to compare and complain about two different phones, especially if one isn't out yet.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    I would say that any device with a CPU, GPU and RAM is not just a phone. Can I get an amen?!
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Screen res alone was enough for me to return my Bolt and wait for something better. 800x480 on that big of a screen is simply not good enough. qHD is a big improvement, and when people compare the phones side by side, they will see this too. I'm upgrading from a D-Inc - the phone I get better look clearer than the one I already have. The Bolt really doesn't. The colors look good, but the icons, everything are just bigger versions of what I already see. The density sucks compared to iPhone or qHD.

O and dual core and HDMI are big factors for me also
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Why bother even having a debate on which phone is better or why people should buy one phone over the other? Why not just just let people choose which phone appeals to them, they are both great devices from what I've seen.

As for me, I've always leaned more towards the Bionic.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links