DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Droid X or Bionic?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Droid X or Bionic?

I was looking for suggestions as to whether I should get a Droid X or wait for the Bionic to come out. I do not currently have a smart phone and wanted to get one before Verizon does away with the unlimited data plan. If the Bionic is not going to come out before they get rid of the plan then I would rather just get the Droid X now.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X named HAL 2112
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffp18 View Post
    I was looking for suggestions as to whether I should get a Droid X or wait for the Bionic to come out. I do not currently have a smart phone and wanted to get one before Verizon does away with the unlimited data plan. If the Bionic is not going to come out before they get rid of the plan then I would rather just get the Droid X now.
    I was wondering the same thing. Not that I am an expert or anything, but from what I gather from this forum is that it all depends on you. I have been trying to decide on the same issue and from what I can tell is this.

If you want something that you can tinker with (rom's, rooting, and over clocking) then the Droid X is the way to go.

If you want a smart phone because of all it capabilities as a "Smart phone" then the Bionic is going to be the next latest and greatest technology. Another thing is that I don't think this phone will ever have the ability to be unlocked with the freedoms that the current Droid phones have.

Let me know what you decide because I too am on the fence with what I want from my phone.

Also if anyone else has any input please feel free to inform me.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X has a locked bootloader just like the Bionic probably will. You can still put ROMs on it, Overclock, etc. Only Droid phone without a locked bootloader is the original OG Droid.

Biggest difference bt DB and DX is DB has 4G capabilities and runs with a dual core processor. If u wont have 4G/LTE in ur area for awhile, go ahead and get the DX. Dual core isnt optimized with software as of right now, so while it is pretty fancy, its not necessary
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by nwasquad View Post
    Droid X has a locked bootloader just like the Bionic probably will. You can still put ROMs on it, Overclock, etc. Only Droid phone without a locked bootloader is the original OG Droid.

Biggest difference bt DB and DX is DB has 4G capabilities and runs with a dual core processor. If u wont have 4G/LTE in ur area for awhile, go ahead and get the DX. Dual core isnt optimized with software as of right now, so while it is pretty fancy, its not necessary
    hold some hope the motorola xoom has an unlocked bootloader...
    Running rooted Droid X with Apex 2.0 Alpha 2 & ULV at 1.15 ghz
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I have been hearing that the dual core processer phones do not work with pretty much all apps. So if that it was of the main reasons you want it, my opinion is to get the droidx. A dual core would be really sweet in my opinion but I still do not think it is worth it. Also if it is true that you will not be able to change roms and etc. I would definitely go with the droidx.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL on Fission 2.4.3 using DroidForums App
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X named HAL 2112
    Quote Originally Posted by nwasquad View Post

Well nwasquad you just made up my mind. I was itching for a new phone now because I have a storm 1... Hate this phone, but my NE2 isn't up till May. I figured since I could get the DX for cheap now, it would be easy to just scrap my NE2 and get the DX. But I am reading about the DB and if it comes out in April, fingers crossed, I can wait till May to get a better phone.

Hopefully you genius's will find ways to open up this phone and teach me some things in the up coming months/years.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X named HAL 2112
    Quote Originally Posted by zwisslerd View Post
    I have been hearing that the dual core processer phones do not work with pretty much all apps. So if that it was of the main reasons you want it, my opinion is to get the droidx. A dual core would be really sweet in my opinion but I still do not think it is worth it. Also if it is true that you will not be able to change roms and etc. I would definitely go with the droidx.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL on Fission 2.4.3 using DroidForums App
    I figured since this is pretty much all new technology it is going to be a bumpy ride at first but it will come, then be outdated in six months.. LOL

The manager at Verizon told me that the TB is amazing that he had multiple youtube videos and it didn't skip a beat, so DB will hopefully put it to shame. The apps will come with time.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    You can see by my tag I have a droid x currently. For all of both the bad and good press seen thus far, I for one will hold out for the DB...

ANYONE, that has any history in the game of tech ADD knows that a device is obs days after release so at best... We attempt to minimize the effect...

True, dual core is ineffectual atm but offers a modicum of future proofing. With the introduction of the tegra zone app, we have efforts in place to fuel our hopes of a sooner rather than later view of what's in store on release day.

To those buying into the fatalistic views based on pre release "unfixable flaws" , I'm happy to have my xoom in hand with all that it was said not to have...

A parting note, as my DX is to my GTab... A symbiotic match... I can not wait for what I see to be the same symbiotic mate to my Moto Xoom ...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I wondered the same thing, but since my wife's LG went south. I was pushed to me a decision sooner. I was waiting for the Thunderbolt, but after it was pushed back and battery life issues with it, I decided to go with the Droid X which I just received. The upshot with the DX that it is proved and stable. There are plenty of accessories available for it. Also I've heard of problems with 4G around airports. So, when Verizon works it all out then I will make the move. I'm not looking back and love my new DX. FYI, if get one and don't care about the Blur interface just download Launcher Pro or ADW and you're golden.
    Viewsonic G-TAB CM7RC1
    Droid X rooted
    Motorola Droid 1 rooted
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    So I decided to go tomorrow and get the Droid X. I figure when the Bionic comes out if I was to upgrade I can sell the DX and just pay the difference.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links