DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dedicated site for the Droid Bionic @ BionicForums.net

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by magikmarkur View Post
    Others please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has more to do with the fact that Verizon runs on a CDMA network which stops two separate streams of data from coming in while AT&T's GSM is able to compute multiple streams of data. And if that's the case, then Verizon phones have a while before they are able to talk and receive data simultaneously.
    I believe your right about cdma not doing back and forth data,but wrong about verizon not having it. LTE allows simultaneous data transfer
    My droid charge & thunderbolt are proof of this.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Sorry but no site will replace Droid forums for me haha

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    we will drive after a couple beers an NOT make a federal case out of it

Current Phone: Galaxy Note 3 (Stock Locked Bootloader Android 4.3 Jellybean)
    Retired Phone: Original Droid (Rooted and RunningCyanogenmod 7)
    Galaxy Nexus (Rooted and Rommed running JBSorcery 4.3 with Trinity Kernel)
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    rjp0615
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Very good points made, but the reason that Verizon's LTE devices can do voice and data at the same time are quite simple. The CDMA radio is used for voice, and LTE for data. If you leave 4G coverage, you won't be able to surf and talk without WiFi. Verizon does plan, however to release voice over LTE devices in the future, which will allow simultaneous voice and data because of LTE being based on the GSM protocol. GSM sends voice and data over the same channel, which is why it tends to drop calls more than CDMA. IMO, CDMA is the more dependable technology because of its constant pinging of towers, but GSM can penetrate walls better.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I use the Droid Forums app to browse this site from my Bionic. Will there be a similar app for the BionicForums.net?
    Live Long & Prosper
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    graymayre
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by UBNUTN View Post
    I believe your right about cdma not doing back and forth data,but wrong about verizon not having it. LTE allows simultaneous data transfer
    My droid charge & thunderbolt are proof of this.
    What people need to know now is that everything we thought we knew about our carriers is changing.
    Verizon is not just CDMA anymore. LTE is a completely different technology and is unrelated to CDMA except in a basic sense.
    And I will note that LTE is the only true 4G and is so because it was an entirely redesigned protocol.
    Other 4G is only an updated version of their original GSM system and protocols, and because of this, it cannot meet the transfer rate that is classified as 4G.
    Also, your data transfer rate is only as fast as your weakest link, and Verizon has backed their LTE towers with fiber optic, whereas others are a little slow to invest.
    Just remember, 3G and 4G are not a technology, they are a standard.

Edit: LTE has not yet reached the transfer rate of 4G, but is called 4G because it has the potential to in the near future.
    4G standard peak transfer rate requirements are 100 Mbits/s mobile, and 1Gbit/s stationary. They've almost gotten to 30 Mbit/s

The answer is 42.
    Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
    Well, I can't answer that.
    Last edited by Graymayre; 11-13-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    Quote Originally Posted by Graymayre View Post
    What people need to know now is that everything we thought we knew about our carriers is changing.
    Verizon is not just CDMA anymore. LTE is a completely different technology and is unrelated to CDMA except in a basic sense.
    And I will note that LTE is the only true 4G and is so because it was an entirely redesigned protocol.
    Other 4G is only an updated version of their original GSM system and protocols, and because of this, it cannot meet the transfer rate that is classified as 4G.
    Also, your data transfer rate is only as fast as your weakest link, and Verizon has backed their LTE towers with fiber optic, whereas others are a little slow to invest.
    Just remember, 3G and 4G are not a technology, they are a standard.

Edit: LTE has not yet reached the transfer rate of 4G, but is called 4G because it has the potential to in the near future.
    4G standard peak transfer rate requirements are 100 Mbits/s mobile, and 1Gbit/s stationary. They've almost gotten to 30 Mbit/s

The answer is 42.
    Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
    Well, I can't answer that.

Yay !!! Someone that knows what they are talking about !
  7. X RS Team Leader
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid X & Bionic
    Premium Member
    Apart from the CDMA/LTE chat, BionicForums.net is alive and well, check it out and join up for Bionic specific talk!

8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic 4G LTE
    Love the reference to Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. Thanks for clarifying differences b/w 4G & LTE.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links