DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Droid 3 is laggin big time.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by landdesigner View Post
    And it goes back to default wallpaper alot, guess I am running out of RAM on that one???
    I forgot to comment on this one. This happens to me occasionally on the default launcher - more often, I think, when I have more widgets, or when I snap open the keyboard to switch to landscape then closed to go back to portrait. I suspect that there is a memory leak in the launcher.

Anyway, I have tried several replacement launchers, particularly ADW, ADW EX, and Go Launcher Pro, and all of them will hold the wallpaper stably. If you like the Moto widgets (such as the people widget that is on the default center home screen) then you'll miss that on a replacement launcher, but the three that I mentioned are very good. Holo Launcher is also quite good and looks a lot like the ICS launcher.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID 3
    momentary i have tried a data wipe, wipe cache. now i have to see how it does its job ..

if not, i will try what doogald told..

thanx anyway :* !
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Just an update on my very slow attempt to bring my D3 back to life. I've been running on a backup phone for a week now and it's better but not great. I did a factory reset on my primary phone but found that even this didn't correct my non-functional camcorder. I took it one step further and SBF'd the phone back to original stock (wiping everything in the process). This has fixed the camcorder problem and I am now in the process of loading my apps back on and reloading all my music etc. I'll post the final result of this experiment in the next few days when I finish reloading everything.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHockey View Post
    Just an update on my very slow attempt to bring my D3 back to life. I've been running on a backup phone for a week now and it's better but not great. I did a factory reset on my primary phone but found that even this didn't correct my non-functional camcorder. I took it one step further and SBF'd the phone back to original stock (wiping everything in the process). This has fixed the camcorder problem and I am now in the process of loading my apps back on and reloading all my music etc. I'll post the final result of this experiment in the next few days when I finish reloading everything.
    UPDATE: So far phone is running well. Camera/Camcorder now working, speed seems good, not a speed demon but definitely improved. Still need a few more phone calls to determine if the call starting 2 minutes after I tried to place it problem is solved but so far so good.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHockey View Post
    UPDATE: So far phone is running well. Camera/Camcorder now working, speed seems good, not a speed demon but definitely improved. Still need a few more phone calls to determine if the call starting 2 minutes after I tried to place it problem is solved but so far so good.
    UPDATE 2: Heat seems to be improved too. I haven't checked actual temps but running the same apps I always run it seems cooler in my hand.

So here are the steps I took:

1) SBF back to pure stock
    2) re-root
    3) re-download titanium backup and froze all the vzw bloatware (did this before reloading any apps)
    4) re-downloaded my apps (did not restore from backup, did clean install)

One of the other benefits of this approach has been I've gotten rid of a lot of apps I kept on the phone "because I thought I might use them". I figure this way if I realize I need an app I used to have installed I can re-install it as needed which has cleared a lot of space on my phone. Next step will be to see which apps I can move to the external sd card to free up even more space. I also had some widgets that I used previously so I'm going to add those back one at a time to see which ones (if any) were killing my battery. Also going to set rom toolbox back up to see if the cpu speed controlling that I was trying before actually gets me any benefit. If battery life is fine without it I'm not going to bother as I'd rather have a snappy response time.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    One other idea: try a third party launcher. I've been running the stock launcher for a while now with only two widgets - the stock people widget that comes on the center home screen by default, and the power control widget, to get toggles for data sync, wifi, GPS, etc.

I've noticed that as time goes on - after the phone has been powered on for 12 hours or so - the battery starts draining faster. After charging the phone again to full charge, I'll find that the second day I get much worse battery life - so the phone will drain to 40% by the end of the day rather than my standard 60%.

Last night I reinstalled ADW EX and restarted the phone. I am getting better battery life today. I'm hoping that I will see the same tomorrow. Obviously, I don't have the people widget, but I have a hard time believing that is a battery drain.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Holo Launcher is also quite good and looks a lot like the ICS launcher.
    I want to second the vote for Holo -- had it for a few weeks now and really like it. I pretty much never get screen redraws when I return to the homescreen (I think I chose the option to keep it in memory). I also added Holo Locker, which allows me to pull down the notification screen while locked, which is a feature I really like.

The other app I'd recommend is Profile Scheduler (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ofileScheduler), which I use to switch over three locations (home, work, out). I've noticed that if I switch work to wifi->on, with data->off and phone->off I get crazy, crazy battery life. Apparently my phone spends a LOT of time at work searching for signal (which I was not able to diagnose with several utilities). A clever trick in Profile Scheduler is instead of using GPS to get location, you can use cell-tower IDs, which are a lot cheaper battery-wise.

Anyway, with those two changes my D3 is MUCH more pleasant to use (though I also get the call-now-connect-in-5-minutes issue too). I was close to abandoning it, but now I'm more comfortable waiting a bit more (probably until the HTC One reaches Verizon...or maybe I'll wait for the mysterious X in October).

Another observation: my wife's D3, which is totally stock (not even rooted) shows several of the same symptoms as those mentioned here. I've found that simply booting with VolUp+m into the recovery menu (how to access recovery) and then clearing her cache (no jokes, please) works wonders for hers.

Oh, by the way: I had dug real deep into the world of Go...launcher, locker, widgets. I was annoyed on day 1 by all the typos and updates every 15 minutes, but I ultimately came to suspect their intrusive and very buggy software was a major cause of my awful battery life and occasional heat-ups. I'd really recommend staying as close to naked as you can!

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    So far the "call now connect later" issue is gone from my phone. I'm also getting much improved battery life but I can't say if that is from wiping it completely clean or the fact that I have a bunch of apps I have not reinstalled. I would guess it's probably a combination of the two.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    use super backup to back up ur apps, contacts, msgs, calander its gr8
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    So to update my droid 3 saga...about 2 months after fully wiping the phone, sbf'ing back to stock etc my phone is back to being terribly slow. No idea what is causing it at this point, I have tried to be very careful about what apps I reloaded onto the phone but still have a mystery slowdown. SMSPro was the last thing I installed before it ground to a halt. Uninstalled that but it has not helped much.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links