DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bsweetness

Thread: Sim question

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid3

Sim question

Here's one for the VS guru's. If I get a 4g phone from Ebay, swappa, list, etc., will I be able to use the sim card out of my D3 or D2G to activate it?

I've been looking at upgrading phones(though, not through VZW(still grandfathered)) and I just found out about the sim card for 4g phones.

If I can't use my D3 or D2G sim, is there a way to get a sim without going through VZW? I really don't want to lose my UL data?
  2. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Twitter
    GoCliffGo
    Phone
    DE Moto X, RAZR HD Dev, N7, X2
    Premium Member

Re: Sim question

If your phone has a sim then yea you should also be able to use it on your new phone. Also SIM cards are free. Verizon will just give you one if needed and they don't need to know anything about your current plan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid3
    Sweet, thanks for getting back at me so quick.

2 things though,
    1. The sim in my D3(and D2G) is for global use, which I don't use. So it's still good to go?
    2. Free? They don't need to activate it or anything?
    Reason I ask #2 is my wife just got a GS3 from her brother(at the super low family rate, and yes im jealous, and no, she has no idea what that "fancy gadget" can do) but she has no sim card, thus she can't even turn it on.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid3
    Bumpity bump?
  5. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member

Re: Sim question

The SIM card from your Droid 3 or Droid 2 Global will not work with a LTE device.

The SIM cards you already have are for GSM global roaming only. They have no LTE compatibility whatsoever. LTE SIM cards for Verizon are tied to your account in a way that the GSM roaming SIM cards are not. They're two different types of technology and operate on two different types of networks.

All you'll need to do once you get a LTE phone is go into a corporate Verizon store with the phone and tell them you want to activate it on your account. They'll give you a LTE SIM card for free and switch everything over. You won't lose unlimited data. At this point, you only lose unlimited data if you sign a new contract, and simply activating a non-subsidized LTE device on your existing account is not starting a new contract. It's all free if you go to a corporate store (authorized and premium retailers might charge you), and it's a simple process.
    Last edited by bsweetness; 01-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    themib likes this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid3
    Thanks B. That's what I thought. I already got my wifes gs3 setup. Was just curious about my sim.

Links