DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tethering / hotspot / speed ?

  1. Droid
    ricpdjrr's Avatar
    Member #
    252029
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41
    Phone
    droid 1
    #1

    Tethering / hotspot / speed ?

    I currently have a d-1 and use ‘easy tether pro’ to tether my laptop ( it uses a usb cable). It works perfectly with no glitches. I live in the boonies and use a verizon fivespot mobile 3 g hotspot for house internet wifi.

    When trying to watch old tv episodes from the internet I have found tethering my lap top with my droid gives faster connection ( less buffering interruptions in movie) than using the home wifi. However there are still several significant frustrating buffering waits with the droid.

    My question is if I get the d-3 can I expect any improvement with this issue and would the d-4 be any better than the d-3 ?

    Or is there any other tethering options out there that could help??
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    km75's Avatar
    Member #
    164637
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    466
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic and Droid 3
    #2
    Try foxfi. Its relatively new and doesn't require the use of a usb cable. Don't need to be rooted either. Tethering with the D4 would give you faster streaming because 4g is a whole lot faster than 3g

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Last edited by km75; 02-18-2012 at 09:50 AM.
  4. Droid
    ricpdjrr's Avatar
    Member #
    252029
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41
    Phone
    droid 1
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by km75 View Post
    Try foxfi. Its relatively new and doesn't require the use of a usb cable. Don't need to be rooted either. Tethering with the D4 would give you faster streaming because 4g is a whole lot faster than 3g

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info I will give it a try. But that brings up another question.

    Is it because easy tether uses a cable that it is faster than using the fivespot home wifi??
  5. Master Droid
    km75's Avatar
    Member #
    164637
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    466
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic and Droid 3
    #4
    That I can't answer because I don't know. What I can tell you is that using foxfi with a 4g phone (Motorola bionic) is very quick and reliable. Someone else might be able to chime in and give you a more direct answer. Unfortunately I can't. I wish I was that knowledgeable though.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  6. Droid
    ricpdjrr's Avatar
    Member #
    252029
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41
    Phone
    droid 1
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by km75 View Post
    That I can't answer because I don't know. What I can tell you is that using foxfi with a 4g phone (Motorola bionic) is very quick and reliable. Someone else might be able to chime in and give you a more direct answer. Unfortunately I can't. I wish I was that knowledgeable though.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

    Thanks for the app name anyway.. My assumption is that the newer devices will not help much but I would like to hear a more educated opinion than my own.
    Last edited by ricpdjrr; 02-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.
  7. Developer Relations
    guidot's Avatar
    Member #
    36269
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,363
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ricpdjrr View Post
    Thanks for the app name anyway.. My assumption is that the newer devices will not help much but I would like to hear a more educated opinion than my own.
    Wired tethering will be faster overall.

    If 4G is available in your area, it will mostly if not definitely fix the buffering issues you are having. However, 4G is much more power hungry, so having it plugged in will be necessary, if you are watching TV shows.

    Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

    1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Droid
    ricpdjrr's Avatar
    Member #
    252029
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41
    Phone
    droid 1
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by guidot View Post
    Wired tethering will be faster overall.

    If 4G is available in your area, it will mostly if not definitely fix the buffering issues you are having. However, 4G is much more power hungry, so having it plugged in will be necessary, if you are watching TV shows.

    Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

    No 4g here for a long time, or so I am told
  9. Master Droid
    ScottyDsntKnow's Avatar
    Member #
    133080
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid X 2.2 Froyo Rooted
    #8
    Your 3G speed is your 3G speed. The modem on some phones is better than others but I have not noticed any real difference in speed on my wife's OG Droid to my DX to my buddy's D3 (I'm assuming the D3 I'm getting Tuesday will be the same). Run an app called Speedtest (available in the market) or you can go to Speedtest.net to see what is faster. I will say that good Verizon 3G is faster than regular DSL. Not sure what you are using but it might be your router, I'd run that test on your home computer that is actually wired into the router, not wifi and see if it is markedly faster. I mean it will be faster but if you are getting like 1.0mbps down on wifi and 20mpbs down on wired... it could be the router. Also realize that the network load on the 3G is going to be different at different times. I can see over 2mbps down very late at night or early in the morning but have trouble hitting 500kbps down during work hours or in the evening.

    Your best bet would probably be to upgrade your home internet to something that does not suck if available. As crappy as cable modems can be, they are still more than fine for streaming movies. I usually see 15-20mbps down on my Crapcast cable modem. If you happen to have access to FiOS, you should be on the phone with them yesterday to get it installed as it is simply ridiculous as far as speeds go. I'd hit 4-5mpbs on actual downloads and ping over 40mbps consistantly. LTE is actually very similar, I've seen LTE speeds in NYC and Philly over 30mpbs, it will be a problem if you are using it for a home network to watch movies and do not have a grandfathered unlimited data plan though as you can blow through even 12gb in a few hours on LTE no problem.
    -Bionic, Extended Battery, stock rooted JB, still going strong
    -D3 MavRom, backup phone

    -boost mobile Epic 4G 1.4GHZ Marcusant V3 R.I.P.
  10. Droid
    ricpdjrr's Avatar
    Member #
    252029
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41
    Phone
    droid 1
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
    Your 3G speed is your 3G speed. The modem on some phones is better than others but I have not noticed any real difference in speed on my wife's OG Droid to my DX to my buddy's D3 (I'm assuming the D3 I'm getting Tuesday will be the same). Run an app called Speedtest (available in the market) or you can go to Speedtest.net to see what is faster. I will say that good Verizon 3G is faster than regular DSL. Not sure what you are using but it might be your router, I'd run that test on your home computer that is actually wired into the router, not wifi and see if it is markedly faster. I mean it will be faster but if you are getting like 1.0mbps down on wifi and 20mpbs down on wired... it could be the router. Also realize that the network load on the 3G is going to be different at different times. I can see over 2mbps down very late at night or early in the morning but have trouble hitting 500kbps down during work hours or in the evening.

    Your best bet would probably be to upgrade your home internet to something that does not suck if available. As crappy as cable modems can be, they are still more than fine for streaming movies. I usually see 15-20mbps down on my Crapcast cable modem. If you happen to have access to FiOS, you should be on the phone with them yesterday to get it installed as it is simply ridiculous as far as speeds go. I'd hit 4-5mpbs on actual downloads and ping over 40mbps consistantly. LTE is actually very similar, I've seen LTE speeds in NYC and Philly over 30mpbs, it will be a problem if you are using it for a home network to watch movies and do not have a grandfathered unlimited data plan though as you can blow through even 12gb in a few hours on LTE no problem.
    Thanks for the detailed information... I guess I was not to clear on my home Internet service. My only options are satellite or 3g. We had satellite and it was very weather temperamental. So we switched to Verizon 3g.

    The load on 3g is news to me and makes a lot of sense as far as buffering being bad one night and a lot worse the next.

    I do have a grandfathered in data plan and according to the sales person at the Verizon store (I know..... NOT a very reliable source) we should she 4g by the end of summer. So this will definitely influence my desion between getting the d-3 and the d-4. If by some miracle we do get 4g I would really regret getting the d-3

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. Master Droid
    ScottyDsntKnow's Avatar
    Member #
    133080
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid X 2.2 Froyo Rooted
    #10
    If you don't have unlimited data and are using 3g as your home ISP I would highly HIGHLY suggest taking a look at Sprint if available in your area. They still have unlimited data and like I said, you will blow through even the biggest Verizon data plan in a few days with LTE because you can do so much more with it. No point in having it if you can't use it ya know? 2gb on LTE is like having a Ferrari with a 2 gallon tank... I will say from experience that Sprint 3g is not always as fast but it does vary. Verizon is mostly faster where i live but its not always true and if you are very rural the load on their towers might be less, youd have to test the service out yourself. Sprint has better service at my work than Verizon does as an example. If you MUST stay with Verizon I do suggest getting a 4g phone right now and take advantage of the "double the data" promotion which you get with a new 4g phone or 4g upgrade. This means the plans are 4/10/24gb instead of 2/5/12gb. The 10gb for $50 is easily the best deal but you might want to spring for the 24... depends on your use and what you think you'd use with the ability to download a 5 gigabyte file in a half hour on LTE... I just blew through about 30gb tonight on my home ISP if that shows what high speed does to a person lol.


    Also, Sprint is going to be going LTE too as early as next year if the deal with Lightsquared goes through so you would get the crazy speeds eventually and be unlimited to boot.

    Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Last edited by ScottyDsntKnow; 02-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    -Bionic, Extended Battery, stock rooted JB, still going strong
    -D3 MavRom, backup phone

    -boost mobile Epic 4G 1.4GHZ Marcusant V3 R.I.P.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Tethering and portable hotspot?
    By chadh1 in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 10:44 AM
  2. I thought you had to pay for hotspot/tethering
    By tjk629 in forum Droid Bionic Tech Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 10:20 PM
  3. tethering / hotspot
    By xdaxdb in forum Droid Bionic Roms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 03:26 PM
  4. Mobile Hotspot throttling data speed??
    By porsche996 in forum Thunderbolt Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
  5. Droid X hotspot and tethering
    By dicdoc in forum Droid X Tech Support
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Search tags for this page

boost foxfi speed
,

foxfi speed

,
how fast is verizon 3g hotspot
,
how to boost foxfi speed
,
how to improve foxfi speed
,

how to increase foxfi speed

,
how to increase hotspot speed
,

how to increase mobile hotspot speed

,

increase hotspot speed

,

tethering vs hotspot speed

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+