DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Unlocking the Droid 3 and Using it

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    anoop_ch
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx XT912

Lightbulb Unlocking the Droid 3 and Using it

Hi friends,
    I got a used Motorola Droid 3 as gift from My friend. I would like to know if i can unlock the device for using it with a GSM network. The droid 3 Seems to have a GSM SIM inserted and is advertised as a GLOBAL ready phone. Do i really need to unlock or something? Also I'm bit intrested in using a custom ROM like CyanogenMod for the Device. Since I'm new to the Droid 3 could you suggest a few Good ROMs?

Also if you could suggest some tips on using the phone for better battery or some tweaks i'd be really happy to welcome them.
    Thanks...
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    You can unlock the sim card on your D3 with some places like
    cellunlocker.net or unlockfusion.net. The only problem is that it's only good for internation carriers. So, you will not be able to use it on any U.S. GSM carriers like AT&T. But, if you go to Europe, you can buy one of their Sim cards and use your phone.

Sent from my Lib.V2.0_D3
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    anoop_ch
    Phone

Cool Thanks for the Info

Quote Originally Posted by pdiddybuck View Post
    You can unlock the sim card on your D3 with some places like
    cellunlocker.net or unlockfusion.net. The only problem is that it's only good for internation carriers. So, you will not be able to use it on any U.S. GSM carriers like AT&T. But, if you go to Europe, you can buy one of their Sim cards and use your phone.

Sent from my Lib.V2.0_D3
    Ya I'm from India. Our GSM Bands are 900/1800 for 2G and 2100 for 3G, which is supported by the Motorola Droid 3. Are these unlocking services reliable? I'm not coming to US atleast for 5 years().

W-CDMA in 2100MHz. I'm not sure about this to work.

CDMA2000 1X, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev. 0, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev. A, and CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev. B --- Not sure about these as well. 850MHz in India

If you have any info on them supported in India, please do Post back.

From Wikipedia: Seems Droid 3 Supports all the above Bands.....

DROID 3: CDMA2000 800/1900, EV-DO Rev. A
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900 UMTS
    WCDMA 850/1900/2100
    Last edited by anoopch; 01-29-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added Wikipedia data
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid, Droid 2
    I got my unlock code from swift unlock. Very fast service and so far I've gotten two droid 3 unlocked. I read somewhere that something like 30 percent of them can't be unlocked. Also once you unlock them you can't use them on US GSM networks. However the guys over at XDA have found a way to get it working with them. Guide - Unlock XT862 for T-mobile/ATT - xda-developers haven't tried it yet myself but I've very interested because I'm thinking of switching over to T-Mobile from Page Plus. However I just figured that that 3G won't work on this cel on T-Mobile. I'm going to T-Mobile to take advantage of their $30 a month unlimited text and internet. Got me an HTC Sensation to try it out but I'm really going to miss the keyboard on the Droid 3.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola droid 3

unlock droid 3

i unlocked my droid 3 from verizon for 4.95 and was given two codes the first one worked was i doubt cause of price but it worked i live in Trinidad and Tobago can call on any gsm network but it the seller only deals with verizon drid 2 and 3 phones here is link eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices and
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Better late than never, I've been w/Verizon awhile so I called & the Global Dept. gave & unlocked my D3 for free.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    anoop_ch
    Phone
    Thanks.
    I got mine from Verizon. Paid nothing..

Tell them that you are going abroad for business trip or vocation. Bingo. For this you need to have a good account.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    crashsuit
    Phone
    Droid 3
    If you want to use it in the states on T-Mobile or AT&T, you can remove the SIM lock with the code from Verizon, then use the XT883 radio.img and a modified build.prop to remove the USA carrier lock. Unless T-Mobile refarms your area, you'll be stuck on 2G, but it gets 3G on AT&T this way. I have mine working fine on T-Mobile right now on the $30 prepaid unlimited-data plan. There's a tutorial in the Droid 3 forums on xda. This works on any official system version, plus at least one person reports it works on the ICS builds people are working on.
    szqt and anoopch like this.
    Droid 3 with XT883 radio.img
    I occasionally draw comics
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    My question is, can I keep my Verizon # or what's the best method to import your number as Im still in contract with the droid3, then I would have to may a early termination fee correct? Or is there a loop hole where I can use the Verizon normally then AT&t when I insert the Sim? Im just a little confused with the ending details, I understand about flashing the radio image and all..

Do any of you understand what Im trying to ask or get too? I take it if it works on a prepaid at&t sim and signal strength is better then its one way or the other???? Correct???? I just can't talk on my version no more let alone receive text unless I go down the Rd. 11 miles. I UPDATED PRL M NY TIMES NO DIFFERENCE.

Please, any thoughts how I should handle this in the end and maybe get away without termination fees since I did move about 1 month after a contract to Droid3 with I grew to love every bit of it on stock and the new updates.

Thanks many, maybe Im just thinking too hard about this too
    Last edited by Duanevw; 06-18-2012 at 08:11 PM.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 3

HELP me get a code please

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous-x View Post
    Better late than never, I've been w/Verizon awhile so I called & the Global Dept. gave & unlocked my D3 for free.
    Hey : i am stuck with a droid 3 which i bought thinking could be unlocked with a code. but it couldn't.I am stuck with paying $300 . Is there any one who is a verizon customer who can talk and get a code on behalf of me please.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links