DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery calibration

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    @bacK_N_87
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr

Battery calibration

I bought an extended battery and was trying to calibrate it. I was trying to find out do you have to have a custom rom or can you be stock????

Sent from my DROID3
    RazrBlade
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    cdjones187
    Phone
    DROID, DROID X, and DROID 3
    In order to properly calibrate your battery you must be rooted. Doesn't matter if its stock or a different ROM.
    Droid 3 ICS/Liberty Gold (current builds) running @ 1.2Ghz

Let Motorola hear your voice, sign the petition to UNLOCK our bootloaders!

Click HERE to view and sign the petition!

Follow @Cdjones187
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdjones187 View Post
    In order to properly calibrate your battery you must be rooted. Doesn't matter if its stock or a different ROM.
    I tend to disagree. If you discharge your phone until it shuts off and then charge it all the way without unplugging then it seems to calibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity just fine. I do this once every 2 months but not more often than that.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    @bacK_N_87
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Yeah I wouldn't even have permission to do it if i weren't rooted. I did it with battery calibration by nema. Process was quick is it suppose to be quick?

Sent from my DROID3
    RazrBlade
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Just follow the procedure I gave you and you'll be good to go. You don't want to run Lithium-based batteries down all the way too often so that's why I do it once every 2 months. The discharge until phone shuts off then charge all the way without unplugging procedure should be done after an OS update, after a factory reset, and when you get a new phone or change batteries.

On a side note, dial *22899 every month to update PRLs. These two things are pretty much the only maintenance I do on my Droid 3.
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    cdjones187
    Phone
    DROID, DROID X, and DROID 3
    Like I said, in order to PROPERLY calibrate your battery you do need to be rooted. Doing your method takes a while for the battery stats to correct them selves. By using the using the application the OP mentioned its instant calibration and you don't necessarily have to run the battery till it dies and it doesn't hurt anything if you do. (this is new technology, li-ion batteries will always have a charge even when your phone dies)

OP, yes, the process is that simple and fast. It may take a day or 2 for it to be noticeable if you don't let it die.
    Droid 3 ICS/Liberty Gold (current builds) running @ 1.2Ghz

Let Motorola hear your voice, sign the petition to UNLOCK our bootloaders!

Click HERE to view and sign the petition!

Follow @Cdjones187
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX2
    *22899 ? What are PRL's? Enlighten me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdjones187 View Post
    Like I said, in order to PROPERLY calibrate your battery you do need to be rooted. Doing your method takes a while for the battery stats to correct them selves. By using the using the application the OP mentioned its instant calibration and you don't necessarily have to run the battery till it dies and it doesn't hurt anything if you do. (this is new technology, li-ion batteries will always have a charge even when your phone dies)

OP, yes, the process is that simple and fast. It may take a day or 2 for it to be noticeable if you don't let it die.
    I doubt that the phone's manufacturer would say that rooting is the way to properly calibrate. In my experience, the method I mentioned works well and is the proper and only way for stock phones. The battery stats are correct as soon as the battery is charged fully. Can you explain how your method's "instant calibration" works and why it takes 2 days?

It's true, the phone should prevent the battery from behind discharged (or charged) to the point where damage occurs. I should have said that people shouldn't try to somehow overly discharge nor should they try to run the battery down quickly. And on the other side of things, leaving the phone charging for extended periods ends up cycling the battery thus shortening the battery's overall lifespan so that's not a good idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerAL View Post
    *22899 ? What are PRL's? Enlighten me.
    Yes, I think Verizon recommends doing it every month. It stands for Preferred Roaming List or something--the phone's knowledge of the cell network or some such science.
    Last edited by NoBloatware; 01-12-2012 at 12:29 AM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBloatware View Post
    I doubt that the phone's manufacturer would say that rooting is the way to properly calibrate. In my experience, the method I mentioned works well and is the proper and only way for stock phones. The battery stats are correct as soon as the battery is charged fully. Can you explain how your method's "instant calibration" works and why it takes 2 days?
    It's really not instant calibration at all. What it does is it wipes the battery stats off the phone as if the phone were fresh. Then you really need to do something similar to your procedure anyway - let it discharge well (it doesn't necessarily need to be until loss of power) and then charge full.

So, it's instantly wiping bad battery calibration stats off the phone - a better description.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr M
    Wiping your battery stats doesn't actually do anything to improve battery life. This comes straight from a google engineer. You don't need to do ANYTHING to "Calibrate" a battery. This is 2012; the OS and hardware take care of that themselves now. Anything else you hear is pure internet speculation gone out of control.

Wiping battery stats doesn't improve battery life, says Google engineer | Android Central
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links