DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is anyone else as mad as I am?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    I've tried very hard to not lose sight of the fact that the Droid 4 is still a mirage. It'll come out eventually-whether it's called Droid 4 or something else-but it isn't on the market yet.

When I buy a phone, I make sure it's the most advanced phone that suits my needs. My main phone must have a keyboard, which limits my choices. That might be a blessing in disguise, though.

I bought the newest phone with a physical keyboard that was available at the time. I know that's the best I can do.

Carriers and manufacturers will exploit the fact that the cell phone has become an indispensible commodity. On top of that, phones are highly-personal devices. We carry them everywhere with us, keep thousands of pictures and hundreds of phone numbers in them and sync our Facebook accounts to them. Like cars, phones need to suit people's needs and tastes. Carriers and manufacturers will exploit that, too.

As long as my phone isn't an old junker, still works right and lets me do what I want with it, I'm happy.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    The D3 is the best 3G phone out IMO. Hardware wise it is on par with current phones. Aside from 4G it is nothing to scoff at spec wise so there's nothing to be upset about. I'm glad I held off getting a LTE device as every single one has had some issue with connection or battery. When my upgrade rolls around should be on 2nd or 3rd gen LTE devices and it'll be what it should be.

"Stay classy Interwebz"
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola XT862 (Droid 3)
    I hate saying "just go get an Iproduct" but if you don't like seeing companies competing an trying to make phones for everyone's needs and just want a stable release and to be told by the carriers and manufacturers when you can "upgrade" or "update" maybe the Iproducts is better choice for you. I don't want to wait to see the new stuff come out just because it might outdate the device I have. I want to go to the store and see if it's a better fit for how I use my phone on a day to day basis and make the choice on how it works rather than "OMG, I just bought this piece of crap a yesterday and the droidx9000 is out today and is 1mhz better". Yes a new phone came out... why? because better processors and smaller, denser ram was manufactured.

I personally LOVE seeing a bajillion hardware choices. I can pick out exactly the feature set I want with whatever chipsets I feel I wish to use. For the most part dual core anything is going to support everything I would ever want my phone to do. But, that doesn't mean the phone type you like is the same as mine. Let's say you could be fine with a single core device because you only use call/text/simple apps, while I actually do some stuff such as remote connect to my computer at home which needs a better GPU, CPU, and preferably 4g to work comfortably... should I have to wait on this development cycle that dictates I must wait another 4 months before the chipsets and GPU's THAT ALREADY EXIST can be cooked into the next phone? Or even the person who expects their phone to be their gaming console(I'm a little biased against this but it's a different rant)... should they wait 8 months for the chip/gpu set that can support gaming expectations of a PS2? You're advocating a lack of advancement in technology just to make a specific set of people more comfortable with their choices.

Now on the other hand, I feel that lately some companies have dropped the ball a little on the software development side and need to either get their act together and either hire better programmers, or hold off on features that break the phone.
    Software/firmware-wise, it's not hard to bookmark the sub-forum your development for a ROM is at and check it once in a while... Hell some apps(safestrap, I didn't even know about 1.07 or whatever the new one is for a long time) I'm good with for months until it dawns on me "hey, there might be an update". Also, I wouldn't count the D3 out for ICS since Moto has been on the ball about their software updating portfolio for GB. I can't say that any phone I expected to see GB on didn't get it. We're also pretty well off with all the developers who create ROMs for android devices overall... I see a lot of attention given to devices(OG droid) that have been dropped long ago by their official devs still managing to stay up to date.

Get the phone for your needs... not because you "need" the newest and greatest thing on the block. I guess I rant when I see people putting advancement in tech down :\ sorry.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    VZ Galaxy Nexus
    I feel the same way here. I'm not mad that Motorola is putting out newer and faster phones, I'm upset that the next generation of my phone is coming out so soon. If the D4 was pushed back till 5/12, lets say, and they really beta tested it to make sure it was the absolute best it could be I would have no problems. But look at their last 3 phones they've put out. 2 outta 3 have 4g with connection problems. All 3 are dual core, but really don't live up to the hype of what dual core can do. I mean, look at browser scrolling, its still not nearly as smooth as an iPhone or GS2. The cameras on here are terrible, honestly my OG Droid took better pictures.

Thats not the say that the D3 is all bad. It has the best battery life of any 3g phone that I know of. The best keyboard, screen size, ports and so on. Its definitely an upgrade from the previous D2 or in my case the D1 (except for the camera) and its a world phone. I agree that 4g isn't ready for my money yet, I'll wait till 2nd or 3rd generation 4g phones to perfect that. But is the D4 really necessary right now? Can't Moto wait and get the D3/Bionic/Razr working properly before spewing out another phone? Especially on the same network.

After owning Motorola phones for over a decade, the D3 is my last phone by them. I don't like the direction they're going, it shows no customer loyalty only corporate greed. And those who claim that they have the right to make a profit, all they have to do is make a solid phone and market it properly. The RAZRs and Bionics marketing campaign was terrible ( fighting robots and car stunts don't appeal to most people). Look at Samsung, they show you what the phone actually does in real life. Its part of the reason they're so successful (that and they have the best Android phones).

Motorolas strategy is simply this "if you don't like our phone now just wait till next month when we replace it and if your having problems with the phone you have just replace with one of our newer shinier phones, guaranteed to have different problems than the ones you're having now"
  5. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    There's no question motorola is putting to much on their dish...
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemedet View Post
    I know the technology industry moves pretty fast but the D3 released in July and now the D4 is coming out? It's barely been six months.
    Six months in the technology world might as well be six years. Just because a new phone comes out does not mean that Motorola is going to stop supporting yours. It isn't even "End of Life" yet and you're worried?

Your D3 will most likely get ICS around the same time as the Razr and the Bionic. It shouldn't be hard for Motorola to get it working on the 3 phones that share a basic platform. D3 might even be easier since it's a 3G/world phone.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by spillner View Post
    I feel the same way here. I'm not mad that Motorola is putting out newer and faster phones, I'm upset that the next generation of my phone is coming out so soon. If the D4 was pushed back till 5/12, lets say, and they really beta tested it to make sure it was the absolute best it could be I would have no problems. But look at their last 3 phones they've put out. 2 outta 3 have 4g with connection problems. All 3 are dual core, but really don't live up to the hype of what dual core can do. I mean, look at browser scrolling, its still not nearly as smooth as an iPhone or GS2. The cameras on here are terrible, honestly my OG Droid took better pictures.
    Again, the D4 is NOT coming out "too soon". It's not even out yet, and we're at the 6 month mark. You blame the 4G connection problems on Moto, when more of the blame lies on the 4G network itself. The point you make about dual core is not a valid point at all, as it affects ALL dual-core Android phones, not just Motorola's. Moto's dual-core phones, aside from the Nexus, run Android 2.3.x (Gingerbread), which is pretty much optimized for single threaded operation. The only reason you see any benefit from dual-core at all is due to the underlying Linux operating system. I see it as the same situation we were in with PC's a couple of years ago. Everyone WANTED a dual core processor, but no one had any software to make use of one.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Saik0Shinigami View Post
    I hate saying "just go get an Iproduct" but if you don't like seeing companies competing an trying to make phones for everyone's needs and just want a stable release and to be told by the carriers and manufacturers when you can "upgrade" or "update" maybe the Iproducts is better choice for you. I don't want to wait to see the new stuff come out just because it might outdate the device I have. I want to go to the store and see if it's a better fit for how I use my phone on a day to day basis and make the choice on how it works rather than "OMG, I just bought this piece of crap a yesterday and the droidx9000 is out today and is 1mhz better". Yes a new phone came out... why? because better processors and smaller, denser ram was manufactured.

I personally LOVE seeing a bajillion hardware choices. I can pick out exactly the feature set I want with whatever chipsets I feel I wish to use. For the most part dual core anything is going to support everything I would ever want my phone to do. But, that doesn't mean the phone type you like is the same as mine. Let's say you could be fine with a single core device because you only use call/text/simple apps, while I actually do some stuff such as remote connect to my computer at home which needs a better GPU, CPU, and preferably 4g to work comfortably... should I have to wait on this development cycle that dictates I must wait another 4 months before the chipsets and GPU's THAT ALREADY EXIST can be cooked into the next phone? Or even the person who expects their phone to be their gaming console(I'm a little biased against this but it's a different rant)... should they wait 8 months for the chip/gpu set that can support gaming expectations of a PS2? You're advocating a lack of advancement in technology just to make a specific set of people more comfortable with their choices.

Now on the other hand, I feel that lately some companies have dropped the ball a little on the software development side and need to either get their act together and either hire better programmers, or hold off on features that break the phone.
    Software/firmware-wise, it's not hard to bookmark the sub-forum your development for a ROM is at and check it once in a while... Hell some apps(safestrap, I didn't even know about 1.07 or whatever the new one is for a long time) I'm good with for months until it dawns on me "hey, there might be an update". Also, I wouldn't count the D3 out for ICS since Moto has been on the ball about their software updating portfolio for GB. I can't say that any phone I expected to see GB on didn't get it. We're also pretty well off with all the developers who create ROMs for android devices overall... I see a lot of attention given to devices(OG droid) that have been dropped long ago by their official devs still managing to stay up to date.

Get the phone for your needs... not because you "need" the newest and greatest thing on the block. I guess I rant when I see people putting advancement in tech down :\ sorry.
    You make a lot of excellent points. The thing people need to realize is that Motorola isn't simply releasing these things at random, they are doing it because there are different markets, and different people need different capabilities. Let's look at the high end Moto devices that Verizon offers right now:

Droid 3 - offers a dual-core qHD device in a QWERTY form factor, lacks 4G LTE but has 3G and GSM world phone capabilities. Has removeable battery.
    Droid Bionic - offers a dual-core qHD device in a slate form factor, has 3G and 4G LTE but no world phone capabilities. Has removeable battery.
    Droid Razr - offers a dual-core qHD device in a thin and light slate form factor, has 3G and 4G LTE but no world phone capabilities. Battery is fixed in place.
    (yet to be released) Droid 4 - supposed to offer a dual-core qHD device in a thin and light QWERTY form factor, with 3G and 4G LTE, no world phone, and fixed battery. But we'll find out when it gets here.

Looking at these 3 current devices, one can see that there really isn't any overlap at all. If anything, Moto needs a few more models to cater to everyone. Where is the non-QWERTY dual-core world phone? The thin and light 4G QWERTY (D4) is still MIA. Where is the QWERTY version of the Bionic?

As for software updates? D3 is still a current device, so I would expect it to get ICS. The Galaxy Nexus uses the same OMAP44x0 platform as the D3, Bionic, and Razr. And that just happens to be the platform ICS was written for.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    [QUOTE=spillner;1942892]
    And those who claim that they have the right to make a profit, all they have to do is make a solid phone and market it properly.

If quality was really more important to the masses than quantity, McDonald's as we know it would not exist

Everybody says they want something that's well-made and timeless, but people are only too happy to accept timely garbage. Apple has a loyal market, but Android is in a different boat. Android users appreciate having a vast array of choices (form factor, look and feel of the home launcher, etc.) and this carrier/manufacturer relentlessness is a pitfall.

I like having a wide variety of phones to choose from, but I wouldn't consider it a hindrance to technological advancement if the carriers and manufacturers sat on their technologies while they worked out the kinks.

Having said that, if we really want these companies to release a variety of well-built and functional niche devices that are fully-cooked from the get-go, the average consumer would have to resist the urge to jump ship and buy the newest awesome phone at full retail. That's how the consumer can punish them. Unfortunately, a lot of people want everything yesterday. For that reason, I can't feel personally slighted by greedy companies. The consumer is also at fault.

Last edited by Shimmy549; 12-29-2011 at 09:30 AM.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    VZ Galaxy Nexus
    [QUOTE=Shimmy549;1943111]
    Quote Originally Posted by spillner View Post
    And those who claim that they have the right to make a profit, all they have to do is make a solid phone and market it properly.

If quality was really more important to the masses than quantity, McDonald's as we know it would not exist

Your analogy is slightley flawed seeing how McDonalds sells cheeseburgers for considerably less than a quality meal elsewhere. If Moto was selling their phones for hundreds less than their competition and kept up their same new phone production rate I would see your point. But Motos strategy hasn't paid off like Samsungs has. Samsung has put all their marketing towards their Galaxy S line which is why they have the top market share when it comes to phones. Samsung also doesn't flood one carrier with essentially the same user experience across different phones.

It basically comes down to beta testing and UI. Motoblur has been criticized by nearly every phone critic as the worst overlay, this new one is slightly better but still lagging behind the others. The D3 still has not been confirmed to receive ICS and while most of you say it should that doesn't mean it will. Especially when you consider how Moto is pushing out new phones, why would they bother having one of their older phones compete with something more expensive (I hope I'm wrong). Also, why does every new phone come with a host of problems? Where are the beta testers? Blue pictures, drained battery, camera delay, these things got noticed by every reviewer on day one. Did Moto think we weren't gonna notice?

Again it quantity over quality and while the D3 for the most part is a good phone (the best one Motos made so far), Moto has yet to make that stand out phone that will have the industry turning heads (since the OG Droid).
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links