DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bootlooping/bricked XT876 – possible to save the contents of /mnt/sd/?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto XT862
    Sorry, I meant to fill you in before I skitterred off for some holiday pleasantries. The ADP and SDK went on as a singular unit, however Google packages them for distribution. Since I was using either the last of the versions of the releases in the 6.xx series of Java SDKs, or else the very latest of version 7 Java SDK, the Android Debug Bridge (more hits for other n00bs wondering "WTF is ADB" right there), so it started off rather stickily as I had to click through an ominous-seeming "Yes, I do have JSK or JDK or whatever it's called that I need" "... Are you sure? People you love may die if you make the wrong decision. Is Java cool or isn't it? If you called the cops, the deal's off, the phone is dead. " / "No, I don't have Java SDK 6 or 7 yet. I'll be right here next time we do business, everything's cool, man! "- triad of buttons. Eventually I chose the "pretend you've got JSDK set up just like we said, or else don't blame us... " button & proceeded to compile stuff.
    It took a while to compile... Whatever I compiled. I would have to look back through again. But the ADP/SDK kit seemed a functional whole, until I started trying to get the system to recognize my phone. At some point it started to get social. I came back to my workstation to find that the phone showed up as a generic ADP modem-y thing under Device Manager. Perhaps more interesting? Previous driver? A Motorola OEM one. I have the name elsewhere.

I never did get ADP to identify anything attached to the PC, although the computer itself has identified stuff for sure, & knows what it is. I also have a virginal Ubuntu 11.10 x64 system to go swimming around with if need be.

That's just the "A" menu of stuff! When I tried something from the "B" list of boot options, Windows installed 5 or 6 different interface protocols. It was groping around trying to communicate with something it didn't quite understand the subtleties of as a being. (Images, rather naughty, of Windows getting jabbed, kicked, spit upon, & otherwise treated like I usually do whenever members of the opposite sex come nearby. Or tourists fresh off busses from overseas. I feel like the second part of the menu might have the answer i'm looking for, after all, which is to get that "sd" data off intact[ish] of my DROID3. For those just tuning in, my phone went meta-brick, it wouldn't even accept a factory reset. This great new DROID3 is a suitable replacement; it's only that there's proprietary data & stuff that it's easier to try and learn how to vivisection your dying DROID than it is to hire a professional or end up in a state hospital/jail after VZW's conceptual-art installation about the contemptuousness with which modern late capitalism has inured the worker to accept as normal. I don't know what that last part meant, kudos to anyone who can explain it to me in the morning.

Point is, I want my /sd/ stuff relatively intact & i don't care how!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Shot in the dark here.

You said your computer recognizes your phone even though ADP doesn't. Your computer knows your phone is a USB device. Your phone has an internal SD.

I'm wondering if SD card recovery software would be able to detect your phone's internal SD and extract files from it.

Just a suggestion.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto XT862
    Shimmy: How would I get the phone to interface with the internal memory w/o using the ADK? Is there some way i'm missing to directly interface w/ the SD card?
    I haven't had much time to try what i'm doing today because of the holiday, but I'll continue to try what I've been suggested & what I've researched to get at the data.

I suppose the real question is: how do I interface with that data, and then how do I transfer the contents of the media upon which the data resides to something that isn't a brick? I don't mind getting my hands dirty; I need to recover (& clean off) the data that is trapped on that phone. Had I known from the start that this catastrophic, sudden, massive failure with no precedent or warning, and no means of recovery whatsoever was a possibility, I wouldn't have accepted the risk/benefit ratio. Now, I put mission-critical data in a cloud-backed folder or store it offline, but this whole debacle should never have happened in the first place. I've recovered data from bricked phones before; from HDs that have suffered physical damage, from USB drives that've been through multiple read/write cycles. None of it has taken this much work! And when the damage has been, as it is in this case, the result of a manufacturer-side screwup, I've never been treated with the kind of disposable contempt that Verizon has shown towards me. When I say "disposable", I mean in the sense of my being disposable, that my complaint is so petty that it's an insult to VZW for even have to waste their time, making up problems that don't exist, except they do, and once they do, the problem is so obviously my fault that I ought to be ashamed for expecting anything except a thrashing from store staff. The phone support is nonexistent - I have never dealt with this before, and I am utterly clueless as to what recourse I have.

I don't know of any other company operating that would give me a defective product, tell me I can probably fix it (& implicitly, that they could, but just don't want to waste the time or trouble, as if this were a missing button on the keyboard; a minor irritant blown out of proportion by some hysterical, malingering troublemaker). This isn't the forum for any more of that line of discourse, but it does trouble me that Verizon & Motorola can get away with this sort of insulting, contemptuous, ultimately worse-than-no-help-at-all "help". At least if I couldn't be fobbed off with a new phone & the tacit promise of full data recovery, I wouldn't be facing a ticking clock towards an $500 fee for returning the bricked phone late while trying to salvage what I can from the thing.

The data is inches from my nose, any & all means to access it that won't void the warranty completely or cause bodily harm, I'm welcome to hearing. Until I have a positive answer for y'all as to whether the data survived or not, there have got to be some forums out there other than this great one to spread the word & warn people in advance, because VZW & Motorola clearly won't man up & acknowledge any sort of fault in their products except for the most facile - when it counts.

So please, keep those suggestions coming. If VZW wants to charge me for holding onto my phone, I'll charge them my usual per-hour rate for data recovery & forensics work plus a retainder for the extra trouble of having to learn (almost, thanks so, so, so much for the help!) unaided how to work a proprietary OS/ I/O system. It will add up to much more than anything they care to fling at me. As for forum denizens, forgive the rant, & keep ideas flowing!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    This is my line of thinking:

Your computer can detect your phone when your phone is connected to a USB port. I've never used SD card recovery software before, but I wonder if that kind of program could detect your phone's internal SD, seeing as the computer detects your phone. The recovery program would run on your computer, so I'm pretty sure it could detect an sd card that's inside a phone connected to the computer.

Your phone is sort of inaccessible, though. That's the most likely limitation.

The only reasonably-legitimate program I know of (Asoftech) costs $39.95 (PRO version that can find more than just photo files). There are programs that are advertised as free, but I'd be afraid to download any of them.

I'm still looking into this. If there was a free download available through a reliable source-like cnet-I'd tell you to just try it. Unfortunately, that's a pipe dream. I'm in the process of trying to find out if anyone has ever tried this and what happened.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shimmy549; 12-26-2011 at 12:30 AM.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Mavericked Motorola Droid 3
    Since the computer is recognizing the phone one way or another WITHOUT adb/the sdk, i'd say there's at least a glimmer of hope for data recovery (regardless of what your local VZW hacks...erm, i mean "customer service agents"... are telling you. Try hooking it up to the ubuntu machine and see what it says. I've heard tell that some members of the modding community prefer and reccommend linux machines because fewer programs are needed to play around with the innards of the phones. If the windows system recognized the phone as at least a motorola device before you installed the SDK, then i would assume the linux machine will go a step further.

I think the point the other poster was trying to make is that with the windows machine getting as far as it did before the SDK was installed, you might be able to use a generic SD card recovery program to recover the data...in other words, just treat the phone as if it were one big malfunctioning SD card (which if i'm understanding your plight correctly, isn't too far off the mark). Anyway, try those suggestions, and keep us posted. Best wishes, and good luck
    MotoCache's rooting instructions: A must-have Droid1 root guide for rooting noobs such as myself
    Sourcery v2.2 Kang - Full version: One of the best Droid1 ROMs available
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links