DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Media using battery up

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    I hate to be a nosy neighbor, but I don't think ANYONE would have suggested you search you SD card for a rogue media file. Could you please enlighten us a little more about this suspicious character, so we can put it in the history/diagnostic books? File type? Size? Etc. All the juicy details!

Or wait...when you say "something" do you mean "I don't know what it was, but after formatting it stopped?" If so, it sounds more like a rogue card (formatting) issue than a file issue...

Thanks,

-Matt

I would absolutely love to be able to tell which file it was that was causing this issue. I am not sure because I had about 100 music files, 30-40 ringtones, a coulpe short videos, and several documents along with multiple app files. It could have very well been the sd card causing all the problems. Which ever it was, formatting the sd card worked and I did make a backup of my ringtones and documents and added them back one set at a time to check for the problem. It never reoccured again, so hopefully this will help people in the future with similar issues.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo2608 View Post
    Which ever it was, formatting the sd card worked and I did make a backup of my ringtones and documents and added them back one set at a time to check for the problem. It never reoccured again, so hopefully this will help people in the future with similar issues.
    I was afraid you'd say that! Well, since you've restored all the media my guess is it was a bad-sector thingie...or wait, I guess SD cards don't have sectors...or...???

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    I was afraid you'd say that! Well, since you've restored all the media my guess is it was a bad-sector thingie...or wait, I guess SD cards don't have sectors...or...???

-Matt
    I believe they have security sectors from what i have read. It may have been just a simple misread between the card and phone, or could have been a file that it was attempting to read and couldn't.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola D2G
    I realize this is an old thread, but I just started having the same issue on my Moto D2G (Verizon) running Android 2.3.4. android.process.media drains the battery faster than I can finish dinner. I tried copying all my SD card content to a PC, then formatted the card, then copied everything back onto the card. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. I am guessing one of my media files may be corrupt or something. But I have hundreds of them... trying to figure out which one is the culprit will be fun. I guess I will first try deleting the media files that were added in the past couple of days, since that's when the issue started and see what happens.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3

Brutal

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but I just started having the same issue on my Moto D2G (Verizon) running Android 2.3.4. android.process.media drains the battery faster than I can finish dinner. I tried copying all my SD card content to a PC, then formatted the card, then copied everything back onto the card. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. I am guessing one of my media files may be corrupt or something. But I have hundreds of them... trying to figure out which one is the culprit will be fun. I guess I will first try deleting the media files that were added in the past couple of days, since that's when the issue started and see what happens.

I am having the same issue. Media using over 80% of battery, battery running hot, immediately from startup. Using Task Killer to exit all programs, doesn't help. Uninstalled many apps, also doesn't help.

This is what shows as running:
    OMA Download
    Media Storage
    Downloads
    Download manager
    com.motorola.android.omadrm
    DRM Protected Content Storage
    MediaSync

Please please help!
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola D2G
    Most likely it's caused by one of the media files which you recently added, possible a video file. Try removing any recently added files.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
    Most likely it's caused by one of the media files which you recently added, possible a video file. Try removing any recently added files.

I removed all media files from the internal storage and the SD card and formatted the SD card. Still running nearly 80% battery usage. I tried the option of 'Force Stop' under battery usage details, does nothing.

Is there no way to remove/stop/manage these processes?

This is what shows as running:
    OMA Download
    Media Storage
    Downloads
    Download manager
    com.motorola.android.omadrm
    DRM Protected Content Storage
    MediaSync
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by trispi3 View Post
    I removed all media files from the internal storage and the SD card and formatted the SD card. Still running nearly 80% battery usage. I tried the option of 'Force Stop' under battery usage details, does nothing.
    Try formatting internal storage as well and restart the phone. (Of course back up internal storage to your PC first). You may have media in a hidden folder.

Do you ever listen to music?

Also, settings->accounts->you google account. Do you have Sync Google Play Music (or any other Play options) turned on? If you uncheck them, does that improve things?

The DRM thing makes me think it has something to do with Google Books or some purchased video content of some kind.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links