DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Didn't like the iPhone 4s but the Droid 3 or 4... hmmm

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Brigade, Droid 4

Didn't like the iPhone 4s but the Droid 3 or 4... hmmm

My brother has had an iPhone since the beginning and now has a 4s with Siri and has been bugging me to get one. Well I'm a Mac user from the late 80's and have only used Macs. So I'm playing around with his new 4s and I actually hate it - which for me is a first with any Mac product. The text message font was also too small - Can you enlarge it on the Droid 3? Well I like my phones with a QWERTY, no getting around it (can't teach an old dog new tricks or something like that).

So since I'm up for a new phone (actually two since I have a Verizon Family Plan), I checked out a Droid 3. I know, kinda late in the game but it fit my hand like a glove, the screen was bigger, more room overall and the keyboard, well... was nice! Since my cell phone needs are rather simple and I just primarily use a phone to make calls, check email and text (and all the basic phones just basically suck) would the Droid 3 be a good place to start my intro into the smartphone world with (or hold out till Thursday for the Droid 4)?

Oh and does the Droid 3 have Gorilla Glass, seems like after reading a hundred threads on this Forum and talking to a Verizon Rep I couldn't get a clear answer?

I know this subject has been beat to death, but help an old guy out - Thanks!

PS Hate being a noob in a forum!
    Last edited by AZClimber; 12-06-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    "It was the multi-coloured presentation that drew me in."
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    I'm quite sure it does, if its a motorola android phone, there's a good bet it has gorilla glass.

Look up the face off video on youtube: Iphone 4S vs Droid Razr. A reviewer compares siri on iphone with the Voice functions on the Droid RAZR and they both function exactly the same for just about everything you would normally use it for, but siri talks back in that mechanical voice.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
    Droid RAZR MAXX/ DROID 2 Global/ DROID 1 with DROID 2 EXTENDED BATTERY (BP7X - 1860 mAh)
    ICS /Stock 2.2/UltimateDroid 1.0.0
    Stock Kernel/ChevyNo1's ULowV 1.25 GHz kernel
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClimber View Post
    Oh and does the Droid 3 have Gorilla Glass, seems like after reading a hundred threads on this Forum and talking to a Verizon Rep I couldn't get a clear answer?
    Here are the full specs from Motorola's site: DROID 3 Android Smartphone by Motorola - Thin QWERTY Dual Core Phone - - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

If you scroll down - yes, it has Gorilla Glass. (look under "Physical")
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 3
    I love my D3, but if you are in an 4G area, you might want to wait for the D4. I agree on the iphone, my wife has an iphone 4, and the screen would be too hard for me to see, since I use my phone outdoors a lot. If you don't like the D4, the D3 will still be available.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Brigade, Droid 4
    Well from what I hear 4G eats batteries for breakfast - plus the D4 will have a non removable battery - Hmmm.... To D3 or D4, that is the question?

I'm coming from a Casio G'ZOne Brigade which can take a lick'n but is basically a POS - Great keyboard though. My brother dropped his older iPhone 4 and the thing nearly exploded when it hit the ground from 3 feet. At least with the D3 or D4 it has Gorilla Glass and the casing seems pretty durable which is something that is important to me. I know, an Otter Box would help but geez those cases are big. When I went to the Verizon store last weekend the salesman had an Otter Box case on his RAZR, wholly crap, made the RAZR the size of an iPad.
    Last edited by AZClimber; 12-06-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    anthrpicdecadnce likes this.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    I would get the Samsung nexus its going to be the best phone ever. Sorry I can not support moto phones anymore due to the large amount of Droid phones being released. Even though I have a d3 I'm eagerly waiting for my upgrade to get the nexus,

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Brigade, Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecasespiff View Post
    I would get the Samsung nexus its going to be the best phone ever. Sorry I can not support moto phones anymore due to the large amount of Droid phones being released. Even though I have a d3 I'm eagerly waiting for my upgrade to get the nexus,

Yep but the best phone ever is going to be replaced by the next best phone ever - I still think my Motorola Star Tac was the best phone EVER!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3

Kind off of topic, but I was just reading about how the Bionic isn't selling very well recently and that is why the price is being dropped. Its no surprise its not selling, the market is over saturated. Anybody looking at a Motorola phone w/o a keyboard and a 4.3" screen would get the Razr over the Bionic.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    cdjones187
    Phone
    DROID, DROID X, and DROID 3

If you take out the fact of all the issues the phone is having yes it is going to be an awesome phone, otherwise it is going to be another pre-released phone that has issues straight out of the box and wont be fixed for a while (Samsung is notorious for this...) . Read around about it, its not all hyped up to be what you think. The HTC rezound has similar specs as the nexus without the bugs and it was released a month ago so whats that say about its current hardware??

As far as D3 vs D4 goes... If you want a droid razr with a keyboard go for the D4. If you want a more original 'droid' without 4g and a better keyboard go with the D3. Both have similar spec but the razr has a little better/faster chipset (omap4430 vs omap4460) And like you said, there is no removable battery which I can see being very frustrating since I'm a modder and i need to pull my battery quite often. Its all really personal preference in your case, since you will be using your phone AS A PHONE lol.. The speed difference wont be noticeable to you IMO and they both run android (and blur) so the features are identical. The D4 will probably ship with androids current version 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) while the droid 3 is currently on android 2.3.X (gingerbread) but will be updated to 4.0 hopefully in the near future.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdjones187 View Post
    As far as D3 vs D4 goes... If you want a droid razr with a keyboard go for the D4. If you want a more original 'droid' without 4g and a better keyboard go with the D3. Both have similar spec but the razr has a little better/faster chipset (omap4430 vs omap4460)
    Actually, the Razr uses the 4430 as well, clocked at 1.2 GHz. The initial reports that the Razr had the 4460 were mistaken.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links