DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: GPS data use

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid3

GPS data use

Does anyone know an estimate of how much data the google maps/directions/gps uses?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

My Steel Droid D3 is Smarter than your Honor Student

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    RobertMilk
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Though I have no hard evidence, I have seen little increase in my monthly usage on those month's when I used GPS extensively.
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola XT862 (Droid 3)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSnow View Post
    Does anyone know an estimate of how much data the google maps/directions/gps uses?

GPS data itself doesn't use your data limit(think of it as another data transmitter that's linked to an entirely different service that Verizon can't charge for)... it's things like downloading the map data and terrain tiles (they're just pictures) that use data since those actually come from a Google server.

If you use the cache feature and only stick around one area no matter how much you go around you'll see virtually no data use. But if you're running around a lot in new places or without the cache feature you'll see more. It should never use more data then standard web surfing in practice.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by Saik0Shinigami View Post
    GPS data itself doesn't use your data limit(think of it as another data transmitter that's linked to an entirely different service that Verizon can't charge for)... it's things like downloading the map data and terrain tiles (they're just pictures) that use data since those actually come from a Google server.

If you use the cache feature and only stick around one area no matter how much you go around you'll see virtually no data use. But if you're running around a lot in new places or without the cache feature you'll see more. It should never use more data then standard web surfing in practice.
    What do you mean cach feature? Do I have to enable that or is that the default setting? I.e. If i go into Maps, type in an address and hit Directions, is that it? (With no terrain maps of course)

My Steel Droid D3 is Smarter than your Honor Student
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola XT862 (Droid 3)
    Open Google Maps hit menu key> settings> Cache Settings. There you can set up a number of things... like to allow pre-caching on wifi only or stuff like that.

If you long press an area, and then click the bubble that pops up there's an option called pre-cache... it will download a 10 mi radius around the area so it won't need to download that block of area while navigating. Should even sit in your phone until you delete your cache. So it won't need to use your data to download those areas until that cache goes missing.

edit: If the feature of pre-caching is missing enable it in labs.
    edit 2: This won't stop any data from downloading... just alleviate some of the downloading that occurs.
    Last edited by Saik0Shinigami; 11-13-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: forgot something...

Links