DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from A855 to Droid 3, or just give in and get an iPhone?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    A855

Upgrade from A855 to Droid 3, or just give in and get an iPhone?

Hello all,
    Sorry for my first post not being more upbeat, but I'm facing renewal/upgrade time and am really wondering what to do.

I bought a pair of Droid 855s two years ago and have been plagued with problems from about 6 weeks into ownership. The cameras got fuzzy, the touch screen stopped working, the device wouldn't charge, or overheated. I've been through 9 replacement phones - yes, 9. Of course the battery life has always been miserable, and I have taken to carrying not 1, but 2 spare batteries with me.

Unfortunately for us, Verizon is the only carrier with even marginal coverage in our area. We can pretty well forget 4G - it just is not going to happen here.

So I'm looking at the Droid3 as a potential upgrade, and have a few questions.

Do any of the docks/mounts from the Droid A855 work?

What do you all think of the Droid 3? From what I've read, it seems to be riddled with the same troubles as the original Droid.

I have a pretty significant investment in mounts, cradles, and spare batteries for the A855, so if none of those are compatible with the Droid3 and the Droid3 is no big improvement over the A855, I'm thinking of just getting an external antenna on the house with a repeater inside, and going with an iPhone on AT&T. Of course the downside to an iPhone is that the closest Apple store is 50 miles away.

I'd like to hear some very honest opinions about the Droid3.

Thanks, and again, apologies for such a depressing first post.

3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    The unfortunate answer to your question is no, none of the accessories for the A855 will work with the D3 (save for charging cables, as those are universal).

I will be purchasing a D3 tomorrow myself, as I know a few people with them and are happy with the device.

I wish I could be more help from a D3 standpoint, but I at least want to provide you with info about your accessories.

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid3 on VZW
    I just got out of the original Moto Droid and into a Droid3, wouldn't hesitate to do so again. The additional row of dedicated number keys and the overall build quality is what did it for me. While it ain't 4G, it is vastly quicker and it is a great smartphone. I just have to have a keyboard and, until Apple creates one, I'll be in a Droid3.

The other consideration is all the apps you own. While the accessories are not cheap, neither are some apps. Once you own the apps from the Android Marketplace, you can install the same ones at no cost on your next Android OS phone.
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I moved from the Droid to the Droid 3 and after the latest update....battery life has been incredible for me. I can go all day (6:30am to 11:30pm) and be at 50% battery with normal use (normal use for me is probably slightly less than most...I don't talk on the phone much). That's a big difference for me as my Droid would make it the same time but be in the 20% range.

I've had zero issues with mine that other have reported. In my case, everything improved upgrading....Screen, Keyboard, speed, features, etc...
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I experienced some issues with the original Droid as well. I can tell you that the Droid 3 is a far better device. The keyboard is awesome. It runs smoothly and I have not had any issues with freezing or force closing. Battery life is good as well. I have owned an iPhone 4 and my wife still does. While it is a good phone I really missed the customization of the Droid and the keyboard of course. You can't go wrong with either choice, but if you like the idea of what Android offers then the Droid 3 will do right by you.

On a side note, why would you have to switch to AT&T to get an iPhone? If Verizon is the best carrier in your area why not buy it from them?

Good luck!
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Make sure you get the warranty don't be cheap, we recently had a firmware update to fix camera issues and a few other things. Don't buy cheap batteries, I did that and it never worked well for me. If you pay 5 dollars for a battery you will have a 5 dollar battery. All the best smartphones are battery hogs there's no way around it. I think it's even gonna get worse as technology in phones advanced batteries are not going to be able to keep up. Sometimes you have got to pay to play!

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!
    Have a great day!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Verizon sells iphones now dude

Have a great day!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbcpa View Post
    I experienced some issues with the original Droid as well. I can tell you that the Droid 3 is a far better device. The keyboard is awesome. It runs smoothly and I have not had any issues with freezing or force closing. Battery life is good as well. I have owned an iPhone 4 and my wife still does. While it is a good phone I really missed the customization of the Droid and the keyboard of course. You can't go wrong with either choice, but if you like the idea of what Android offers then the Droid 3 will do right by you.

On a side note, why would you have to switch to AT&T to get an iPhone? If Verizon is the best carrier in your area why not buy it from them?

Good luck!
    Verizon sells iphones ... but still it's a iphone,

Have a great day!
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid3 on VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
    I moved from the Droid to the Droid 3 and after the latest update....battery life has been incredible for me.

What firmware version are you on?
    My D3 is just two weeks old and am on Android 2.3.4, build 5.5.1_84_D3G-55 Was wondering. My battery life is good, I have two backup cheap batteries that are as good or better than the one it came with.
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    A855
    Thanks for the quick replies.

As far as switching to At&T, you can of course browse the web while in a call. You cannot do that with Verizon. Also, Verizon's customer service is lacking IMO. In response to all my complaints, the best they would do was offer me a Droid2 for $150 (early upgrade they called it).

I guess I am not an Android loyalist. I cannot remove all the junk from my phone without rooting it, which technically voids my support contract. In fairness the same applies to iPhone and the jailbreaking (I think the Apple guys call it).

Just want a smart-phone that works as well as the old Kyocera 6035 did 12 years ago.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links