DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ridiculous battery life

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    GN2 Stock
    Agree with the bloatless one. If its warm then there is a chance something is running in the background. If you haven't tried powering it down and pulling the battery for a minute, that would be a relatively painless first step. Listing your apps might work if any of us see something that is a known problem we can better advise you. Otherwise, a factory reset without syncing the apps, and then adding the apps back one at a time very slowly is another way to get to the bottom of a misbehaving app. If you haven't done that yet, now would be a good time to since many users with similar issues have indicated that the reset fixed them... well their phones anyway.

The mighty V may not treat you so well if they ID the update on your phone BTW.
    NoBloatware likes this.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Xt860
    The only time I find mine get above room temperature is while using Skype video chat, I imagine its from constant CPU use. If yours is hot all the time your CPU is working hard alot or maybe its a defect. Have you tried a CPU monitoring app to see what's going on there

Sent from my rooted xt860
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrews View Post

No auto-end task killer crap going on either (which is VERY bad for the OS).
    Sorry if hijacking here....but I am asking to learn something....so, are you saying you should never use the 'Auto-end' in the Task Manager? Not even for the VZW bloatware?

Thanks.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddysDroid View Post
    Sorry if hijacking here....but I am asking to learn something....so, are you saying you should never use the 'Auto-end' in the Task Manager? Not even for the VZW bloatware?

Thanks.
    My short answer is: correct, never use an automatic task killer.

I say this for a number of reasons:
    -Android will free memory as needed so you don't need to worry about it. You usually don't even need to exit out of apps. An exception is Google Nav. I always choose the "Exit" button when done with it.
    -That VZ bloat that restarts itself will be toying with your auto task killer all day. Bloat starts, it gets killed, it starts again, it gets killed. This will slow your phone and use your battery charge. If you just leave the stuff alone then it sits in memory and uses basically zero CPU and battery. Don't worry about the RAM being used as Android will free it as necessary. Of course, rooting and disabling the bloatware would be even more efficient, but not necessarily much of an improvement over stock.
    -As for apps that you've installed, if it runs on boot or keeps restarting itself without a good reason you should uninstall it and find an alternative that behaves properly. Autokilling these things will just cause an endless cycle as stated above.

Do I ever manually kill running apps? Sometimes, but in theory it is not necessary as Android is usually smart enough to handle it.
    Last edited by NoBloatware; 09-20-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx Employee Edition
    Where did you get the extended battery from? I got one from amazon and its looking like I get less battery time than my standard battery. 3 hours already passed and its down to 50% by only using the facebook messaging app, and that alone shows only 3% used.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rda990 View Post
    Where did you get the extended battery from? I got one from amazon and its looking like I get less battery time than my standard battery. 3 hours already passed and its down to 50% by only using the facebook messaging app, and that alone shows only 3% used.
    I've decided to only get OEM batteries direct from the manufacturer, so I got mine from Verizon's store (basically direct from Motorola). I know it costs more, but I've heard too many people complain that their cheaply obtained, supposedly OEM battery just doesn't work correctly. I look at it this way: I'm going to be using the thing every day for at least a year so it better be top notch. That being said, have you run the battery down all the way and then charged it up all the way? Do this every month or two, but not more often if you can help it. Note that this type of cycling is required if you switch batteries, get an OS update, or do a factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by pashakazmik View Post
    most times, i sit at home watching tv. alone and sad,
    but when i do go to something social i go completely insane.
    i scream, say stupid things, basically act drunk/high. but i cant really stop it, it happens.
    You put the ridiculous in "ridiculous battery life".
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBloatware View Post
    I've decided to only get OEM batteries direct from the manufacturer, so I got mine from Verizon's store (basically direct from Motorola). I know it costs more, but I've heard too many people complain that their cheaply obtained, supposedly OEM battery just doesn't work correctly. I look at it this way: I'm going to be using the thing every day for at least a year so it better be top notch.
    +1 that. You get what you pay for with cheap batteries and cheap chargers.
    Sent from my aaaaaaaaaa DROID3 <-- note all the runaway spaces
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links