I've seen a lot of people asking how to get the new swype beta, so I'm going to post the instructions that worked for me. Mind you, I tried this all myself through trial and error, so if steps can be removed great. But as of now all I can say is this is what worked for me.
- First your phone needs to be rooted, I suggest using the one click method thats floating around
- Freeze the Swype apk (I used titanium backup)
- Reboot (i just did this because I like to reboot after freezing apps just to be safe, could possibly work without the reboot)
- Go to swype's beta page, log in and download the swype installer
- Run the swype installer, follow the directions
- then its going to ask you if you want to install swype to system, say yes to that. Once swype is installed, you probably still won't be able to pick it from the keyboard and inputs menu in settings (i wasn't).
- Now go back to titanium backup and unfreeze the swype apk
- Reboot (again, don't know if this is necessary but I do it after messing with system apps)
- Go to settings>language & keyboard>Input> select swype (you should be able to longpress on a text field and select your input that way as well)
Thats it, you should have the new swype beta installed on your phone. It will be easy to notice if it worked because the beta has the old swype look which is much different (and better looking) than the preloaded look. Hope that helps you guys. If anyone finds steps that can be removed or something, let me know and I'll update these steps.
Enjoy your new swype with gestures!