DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any way to tether yet?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    bonesjones9314
    Phone
    Droid 3

Any way to tether yet?

Not gonna pay for what i'm already paying for,

aka i have an unlimited data plan, and a tablet with wifi only access.

Any ideas? or wait till root?

and does anyone have any status or info of anyone working on rooting it?
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Have a look at this post just a few down from this one. No idea on rooting it yet, only time will tell.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    @pternahan
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    Have you tried tethering via Bluetooth? Works for my Xoom no issues.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Stock AOSP GingerBread Droid X
    You not paying for it your paying for unltd data which is not tethering. By doing wifi tethering you are stealing acording to the Verizon tos I hate to say

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    GN2 Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by WilfulHippo View Post
    You not paying for it your paying for unltd data which is not tethering. By doing wifi tethering you are stealing acording to the Verizon tos I hate to say

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Yes, according to the terms of service, if you tether then you are not legally using the unlimited data plan you payed for. You must pay for both the data plan and an exorbitant fee specifically so that you can use the unlimited data plan on another device.

I've payed them quite a bit over the years, if they kill my account because I tether for 5 minutes, I can go elsewhere. One thing they know for sure is that I don't change companies for decades unless they are being ridiculous. I suppose they could sue me, but that may not work out the way they want either, all things considered.

On the other hand, they could offer more reasonable terms for us occasional tetherers.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    bonesjones9314
    Phone
    Droid 3
    In my twisted world, I don't agree with paying for unlimited data plan. Then paying even more to use my unlimited data on another device.
    I rarely tether also, and when I do its usually something basic like rdp or something.

Things were fine until all those iphone users came to verizon. I told everyone they'd mess our verizon network up.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ADR6400L
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesjones View Post
    In my twisted world, I don't agree with paying for unlimited data plan. Then paying even more to use my unlimited data on another device.
    I rarely tether also, and when I do its usually something basic like rdp or something.

Things were fine until all those iphone users came to verizon. I told everyone they'd mess our verizon network up.

You have to realize you are paying for unlimited data for one device. It seems ridiculous that it would be wrong to use it for another device, even if it is very limited. But if it is not regulated, people will abuse it. The problem is when it is used to replace their home internet and download several hundred GB's a month. All this will do is slow down data for everyone else. If people were not abusing it, VZW would not have done away with the unlimited plan. I do think what they are charging now is freaking insane. I am still on the unlimited plan, and if they do away with that i will switch just to spite them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    I still recall when broadband first came to homes, they connected the modem directly to your 1 computer and let you know that connecting any other devices was a violation of their terms of service.
    That didn't last long.

Data is $30 a month on Verizon, for $35 I get internet in my Home and can connect as many devices as I see fit. Verizon needs to get real.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android no root needed, you could probably find a free apk out there but thats up to you to find
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    bonesjones9314
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by duc13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesjones View Post

You have to realize you are paying for unlimited data for one device. It seems ridiculous that it would be wrong to use it for another device, even if it is very limited. But if it is not regulated, people will abuse it. The problem is when it is used to replace their home internet and download several hundred GB's a month. All this will do is slow down data for everyone else. If people were not abusing it, VZW would not have done away with the unlimited plan. I do think what they are charging now is freaking insane. I am still on the unlimited plan, and if they do away with that i will switch just to spite them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
    I don't see why, its way to slow to use for home use, but that's just me, I enjoy my charter 60 down 3 up speeds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links