DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 146
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Droid 3 SIM unlock discussion

  1. Master Droid
    leobg's Avatar
    Member #
    75942
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    658
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    #1

    Droid 3 SIM unlock discussion

    I decided to open up this thread since D3 is a global phone that sports 850/1900/2100MHz WCDMA and quad band GSM support for outside USA GSM/WCDMA carriers.
    Much like Droid 2 Global it likely has the US carriers banned. Since we know how bad the situation with Droid 2 Global was with Verizon custom SIM locked handsets, I believe this thread will be useful for people who plan to use the phone outside US on a GSM/UTMS carrier.

    I totally like the specs of D3 and seriously consider upgrading my D2G. For use in Canada primarily.

    I, and I believe, quite a few others, will highly appreciate any information regarding the ways to SIM unlock the phone for use with other (non-US) carriers.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid
    dancingcrab's Avatar
    Member #
    82692
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    45
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #2
    I am going to the UK on 19th, and hope to have my new D3 (arriving Monday) unlocked by then so I can stick my pay-as-you-go SIM in. My understanding is that I should call the VZW Global Travel Program team on (800) 711-8300 and request a code. Can anyone confirm this?

    This is my second year using this line, no late bills, and the primary line has existed for over six years.
    The Dude abides.
  4. Master Droid
    leobg's Avatar
    Member #
    75942
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    658
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    #3
    Verizon global support will most certainly be able to unlock the phone if the account criteria is met.

    It's more interesting to know if 3rd party unlockers will be able to generate unlock codes, so people with prepaid verizon accounts or no verizon accounts at all will be able to unlock the phone.

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  5. Junior Droid
    alext77's Avatar
    Member #
    209995
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #4
    Got my D3 yesterday morning, and tried calling in the afternoon. Verizon wireless global "technical support" does not have the procedure written up to unlock this phone for 3rd party SIM use yet.

    She encouraged me to call back closer to, or after the general release date, and they would probably have the procedure then. I suspect the procedure relates to the generation of the unlock code on their end, since I put my Virgin Mobile UK SIM in, and it prompts me for a SIM unlock code after turning it on.

    Just for smiles, I put my phone's IMEI # and details in to one of those "we'll get you an unlock code in 24 hours guaranteed or we'll give you your $8 back" websites. We'll see how smart they are.

    Oh well. FWIW I've had a Verizon Wireless account in good standing since the days it was called Bell Atlantic Mobile ;-) I too am also headed to LHR - but on the 20th from ATL.


    Quote Originally Posted by dancingcrab View Post
    I am going to the UK on 19th, and hope to have my new D3 (arriving Monday) unlocked by then so I can stick my pay-as-you-go SIM in. My understanding is that I should call the VZW Global Travel Program team on (800) 711-8300 and request a code. Can anyone confirm this?

    This is my second year using this line, no late bills, and the primary line has existed for over six years.
  6. Droid
    dancingcrab's Avatar
    Member #
    82692
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    45
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by alext77 View Post
    Got my D3 yesterday morning, and tried calling in the afternoon. Verizon wireless global "technical support" does not have the procedure written up to unlock this phone for 3rd party SIM use yet.

    She encouraged me to call back closer to, or after the general release date, and they would probably have the procedure then. I suspect the procedure relates to the generation of the unlock code on their end, since I put my Virgin Mobile UK SIM in, and it prompts me for a SIM unlock code after turning it on.

    Just for smiles, I put my phone's IMEI # and details in to one of those "we'll get you an unlock code in 24 hours guaranteed or we'll give you your $8 back" websites. We'll see how smart they are.

    Oh well. FWIW I've had a Verizon Wireless account in good standing since the days it was called Bell Atlantic Mobile ;-) I too am also headed to LHR - but on the 20th from ATL.
    Small world - I just moved to SF from ATL! And I'll be getting into the UK on 20th.

    Please keep us updated regarding the SIM unlock - thanks!
    The Dude abides.
  7. Master Droid
    leobg's Avatar
    Member #
    75942
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    658
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    #6
    ... especially the $8 website! Thanks

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  8. Junior Droid
    alext77's Avatar
    Member #
    209995
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #7
    Just got an email from the website....unable to generate an unlock code for you, although this model is typically un-lockable.....we are refunding your $8 and will send you the unlock code with our compliments as soon as we can generate it.

    May I request everyone that gets a Droid 3 call the Verizon Global Traveler Desk and request a SIM unlock code when they get their new phones? Just want to make sure that this stays on their radar in whatever service desk system they track these calls in.


    Quote Originally Posted by leobg View Post
    ... especially the $8 website! Thanks

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  9. Droid
    dancingcrab's Avatar
    Member #
    82692
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    45
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by alext77 View Post
    May I request everyone that gets a Droid 3 call the Verizon Global Traveler Desk and request a SIM unlock code when they get their new phones? Just want to make sure that this stays on their radar in whatever service desk system they track these calls in.
    Will do.

    10char
    The Dude abides.
  10. Junior Droid
    danilos2k's Avatar
    Member #
    17105
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Milestone
    #9
    CANCELED sorry
    Last edited by danilos2k; 07-11-2011 at 02:33 AM.
  11. Droid Newbie
    DroidXY's Avatar
    Member #
    210452
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #10
    Hey,
    if I buy the phone at full retail price without contract, is it then locked for sim cards as well? I cant find this information anywhere.
    I'm thinking about buying it and take it home to europa. Thats why im asking.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. [HowTo] Wifi Mount your DROID - Discussion
    By RinTinTigger in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
  2. Replies: 315
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
  3. Droid X Battery Discussion
    By StormOpz in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 07:13 AM
  4. mobile droid discussion app
    By rohowe in forum Droid Incredible Tech Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 08:11 AM
  5. Droid 2.01 Firmware New Unlock Screen Generates Heated Discussion
    By markmicallef in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Search tags for this page

droid 3 sim unlock

,
droid 3 sim unlock code
,
droid 3 unlock code
,

how to unlock droid 3

,
how to unlock droid 3 global
,
how to unlock droid 3 sim
,

unlock droid 3

,
unlock sim droid 3
,
unlock verizon droid 3
,
verizon droid 3 sim unlock
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+