DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Droid 3 SIM unlock discussion

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    FYI - just to provide closure - phone works great in the UK. Ditched the Virgin Mobile SIM, and got one on the Three network here.

For 15 you get 300 minutes and 3000 texts and now all-you-can-eat data.

This of course includes Skype over 3G data. Apparently the data has no cap, and the company officially supports tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by alext77 View Post
    Same here! SIM unlock codes have been loaded in the Verizon system for those customers that qualify.

However, my two foreign SIMS failed to find a network (both work properly on my other unlocked phones while in the USA - they both roam on T-mobile's network). Does Verizon typically program their phones NOT to use the 850 and 1900 Mhz bands?

edit: NM, apparently this is done via a separate mechanism which specifically disbars US GSM carriers using an MCC list (Mobile Country Code). Same story as the Droid 2 Global. 850 and 1900 Mhz frequencies DO work OUTSIDE of the United States ;-)
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    How is signal strength reported on "3" in the UK for you? Is it steady full bars or like the D2G, 1-2 bars at best and constantly disappearing

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The data will work on the GSM/UMTS portion but YOU MUST CHANGE THE APN from the Verizon native Vodafone NL roaming SIM one to whatever provider your using prepaid.

This can be modified when the phone is in GSM/UMTS mode and the APN settings.

That's what the rep was talking about, for the 'average' non-technical user only the Voice/SMS (text) will automatically work with the inserted prepaid SIM once unlocked.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by willzzz88 View Post
    The data will work on the GSM/UMTS portion but YOU MUST CHANGE THE APN from the Verizon native Vodafone NL roaming SIM one to whatever provider your using prepaid.

That's what the rep was talking about, for the 'average' non-technical user only the Voice/SMS (text) will automatically work with the inserted prepaid SIM once unlocked.
    Interesting - I gotta try that. My G1 that I used for Europe previously would automatically take the APN from the sim card (I was surprised that it did)....
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adammhaile View Post
    f) According to the rep I talked to, this will work on even USA carriers (my guess is that they made the phone this way so that they can actually release it anywhere in the world on any carrier without changing the hardware, just software, probably). So if you have a friend on a USA GSM carrier, you could probably borrow your SIM to test it out.
    That part is not true, but the rest is spot-on. Verizon completely locks out the US GSM bands on their global Android phones, so it can't be used with AT&T or T-Mobile at all. You probably could use a US SIM card to get the unlock prompt though.
    The lockout is certainly true on the Pro/ D2G, and it seems the D3, but I was able to get GSM in the US on my new HTC Incredible 2.
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adammhaile View Post
    f) According to the rep I talked to, this will work on even USA carriers (my guess is that they made the phone this way so that they can actually release it anywhere in the world on any carrier without changing the hardware, just software, probably). So if you have a friend on a USA GSM carrier, you could probably borrow your SIM to test it out.
    That part is not true, but the rest is spot-on. Verizon completely locks out the US GSM bands on their global Android phones, so it can't be used with AT&T or T-Mobile at all. You probably could use a US SIM card to get the unlock prompt though.
    The lockout is certainly true on the Pro/ D2G, and it seems the D3, but I was able to get GSM in the US on my new HTC Incredible 2.
    Now that you mention it, I seem to remember reading that before. The Verizon Touch Pro 2 I had a couple years back would work on US GSM networks as well. Maybe Verizon isn't as concerned about it when there's already a GSM equivalent readily available (as there was for the Touch Pro 2 and is for the Incredible 2). It's definitely true for the Motorola Droids though.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    It's a mixed bag. There are times where the signal is very good and quite strong. I spent most of the time in the Docklands area where it's not so bad.

Walked through very populated areas near Oxford Circus and Bond Street at the weekend, and coverage was not as consistent. There are also times where the phone does not recognize a 3G signal and stays in the slower mode for a brief while - especially when emerging from "No Service" areas - inside buildings, etc.

I don't think it's quite up to par with my Blackberry which is on a Company SIM via Vodafone. It has nearly univeral strong signal all over London.

Quote Originally Posted by leobg View Post
    How is signal strength reported on "3" in the UK for you? Is it steady full bars or like the D2G, 1-2 bars at best and constantly disappearing

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3

Did not have to do this at all for my Virgin Mobile UK, or 3 network SIM. The proper APN was selected automatically by the phone.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by alext77 View Post

Did not have to do this at all for my Virgin Mobile UK, or 3 network SIM. The proper APN was selected automatically by the phone.
    Seems to vary (though on what I have no idea!) I did have to manually set the APNs for my Talkmobile (UK) Sims on my D2G

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    My wife is going to Germany in a week and we have the unlock code for her D3. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to get a pre-paid SIM card for her to use while she is in Germany? Buy here, buy there, what vendors/carriers? Thanks!
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Links