DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed specs on the Droid 3

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    Its a good upgrade from a d1, not a d2 he was saying.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
    Thanks for getting the specs from the horse's mouth. This is the first confirmation I've seen that it indeed has 512MB of RAM. IMHO, it's pretty disappointing that it doesn't have more RAM and Moto decided this wasn't going to be a high-end device worthy of Webtop; if it had 1GB+ of RAM, I'd be quite interested and Webtop would make me more interested.
    The only reason any of Motorola's phones have 1GB of RAM, is because of Webtop. Those phones that DO have Webtop, only allow 512MB of RAM to be used by the main OS. So what this means to the average user? All of Motorola's phones have 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. You can be upset that it doesn't have more than 512MB, but no Motorola phone does have > 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. All indications are saying the Bionic will be the same. It may have 1GB of RAM, but only 512MB of it will be usable.

Honestly, the Webtop stuff the Atrix shipped with was entirely underwhelming. That is a non-factor completely in my decision process.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    You forgot to mention it has a dual core, and higher resolution qhd pentile display. Personally, I hate pentile screens.

They completely botched the hardware in this phone. The only thing it has going for it is the 5 row keyboard (who needs one) and slightly faster processing and graphics. 27% is barely noticeable if u overclocked the d2/dx, and only 30% over the already terrible PowerVR SGX530 in the D2Global is quite a disappointment. The 540 in the galaxy and ip4 are better.

Not a wise choice for an upgrade from a d2 or dx.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v8
    Sigh.

The RAM is 27% faster, the CPU is much much faster then 27%. You overclock a CPU, not the RAM. As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing you can do to RAM to make it go faster on these phones. I think you're confused a bit :-/ This phone will blow a D2 or DX out of the water. It just sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself that your Droid X is still relevant.
    Last edited by Maverick0984; 07-06-2011 at 11:28 AM.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    T-Mobile Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
    The only reason any of Motorola's phones have 1GB of RAM, is because of Webtop. Those phones that DO have Webtop, only allow 512MB of RAM to be used by the main OS. So what this means to the average user? All of Motorola's phones have 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. You can be upset that it doesn't have more than 512MB, but no Motorola phone does have > 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. All indications are saying the Bionic will be the same. It may have 1GB of RAM, but only 512MB of it will be usable.

Honestly, the Webtop stuff the Atrix shipped with was entirely underwhelming. That is a non-factor completely in my decision process.
    My post wasn't phrased clearly, but your post is good information for those that are unaware. I was hoping for more than 512MB of RAM for the OS in this phone. That alone would make me jump. I'm guessing 1GB would keep me in the clear for a couple of years. I know that 512MB won't last me for very long; I have some apps that are useful to have running in the background and the bloatware that never gets used gets a higher priority of who gets to stay in RAM. I don't like to void my warranty and root right out of the box to correct this. With my rooted D1 with the bloat deleted, I am feeling the crunch and I'd rather not spend a lot of money on a phone that I know I have a good chance of repeating this situation after a year or less of ownership.

Webtop is definitely not for everybody and I believe it needs to mature a bit more. However, I am a unique case in that I have a use for it. Also, there are some interesting things they're doing with Webtop over on XDA that show a lot of potential. I would like to have Webtop and the additional dedicated RAM for it, so 1.5GB total on the phone is what I would be looking for. I have read elsewhere that Webtop has 512MB of RAM set aside for it and honestly I would have expected that Moto be able to let the Android OS manage all of the RAM instead.

All in all, I was hoping for > 512MB of RAM for the OS and application plus have Webtop. One or the other would have been an ok compromise, but neither makes pulling the trigger on $200 a bit more difficult. The slower speed and lesser features of a free D2G w/ contract renewal or a used one for cheap seems a little more appealing while I wait for something better. Though, I'm interested to see how well everyone likes the D3 and how much bloat VZW decided to pump into it.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    KidCuda
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    So do we know exactly what version of Gingerbread it has? 2.3, 2.3.3., 2.3.4? Hopefully 2.3.4
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCuda View Post
    So do we know exactly what version of Gingerbread it has? 2.3, 2.3.3., 2.3.4? Hopefully 2.3.4
    As of right now I personally don't but I just ordered 2 of the D3's and they will be delivered tomorrow before 3 so if this thread is not updated before then ill post up once I get through the set up of the new phone and can get into the software details.

One thing I'm slightly concerned about is this "pentile" display I don't want this screen to be lower quality then my D1 since after all this is an upgrade. I'm curious if there are any other phones currently in stores that have the pentile displays that I could go see how it looks? If there is I might stop by on my way home.
    I have a Droid 1 for sale good condition everything works fine, new battery door, desktop charger, windshield mount, screen guards, 2 belt holsters (1 brand new) - looking for best offer for the whole package. Send me a PM
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid1610 View Post
    One thing I'm slightly concerned about is this "pentile" display I don't want this screen to be lower quality then my D1 since after all this is an upgrade. I'm curious if there are any other phones currently in stores that have the pentile displays that I could go see how it looks? If there is I might stop by on my way home.
    I too was concerned, before ordering I ran to the local Verizon store. They didn't have a D3 to see (as expected) but they had a Droid X2 which has a pentile display and I thought it looked great. I can't say for sure it was better than my D1 screen, but with my limited hands on time it was in no way worse. Maybe if you compare it to a samsung super amoled it may not stack up, but I think it will be an upgrade from the D1 screen.

Plus from what I've heard the big plus of the pentile is it is better on the battery (i have nothing to back that up, just what i've read), which would be great because my D1's battery stats always show display as minimum of 50% of my battery usage.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Ok cool thanks for that. I will wait for it to arrive and tthen see it in person no need to make an extra run to the ever so annoying corporate store where they hawk over you with 1.1 million questions lol.
    I have a Droid 1 for sale good condition everything works fine, new battery door, desktop charger, windshield mount, screen guards, 2 belt holsters (1 brand new) - looking for best offer for the whole package. Send me a PM
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    So does the Droid 3 have DDR2 memory? or just DDR?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Wanted to update this thread with further info...

OS is the latest 2.3.4
    0.3 Mega pixel front Camera
    Confirmed 512 RAM
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    KidCuda
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid1610 View Post
    Wanted to update this thread with further info...

OS is the latest 2.3.4
    0.3 Mega pixel front Camera
    Confirmed 512 RAM
    Thank you!

But do you mean 1.3 megapixel front camera?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links