I know there are a ton of posts already about the latest OTA update and the pros and cons of it, so please pardon me for posting my own, but I need some answers to a few basic questions before I proceed with the update. I have read 20 page threads and a million posts on the subject until my eyes are crossed, but have found more questions than answers.
The basics: I am on a rooted Droid 2, running stock ROM, overclocked to 1.4 GHz, I have Bootstrap recovery and all the goodies that go along with root access. I also am well aware that I will lose root access when I update, and I have no problem with rooting again after I update.
1) After gaining root I did delete some of the Bloatware apps, such as Skype and a few others. Is this going to screw up the update and how do I fix this?
2) There has been alot of talk about manual updates VS the downloaded OTA, which one is easier and the least amount of hassle?
3) Is there a thread that I may have missed with explicit step by step instructions on doing the update and what to do if things go screwy?
4) What are the pros and cons of the newest update? Is it WORTH the hassle or is it just a basic update that removes my root access?
5) Will my data and settings be intact after the update?
Bottom line I do not want to turn my phone into a high dollar brick, I like to do my homework first before I jump into something like this, just like I did my homework before I rooted my phone the first time. I dont want a simple update to cause me a bunch of unnecessary grief. Thanks for any help and answers to my questions. This is a great forum, I have learned alot here.
EDIT: my phone tells me the update is available to me. So far I have told it "LATER"