DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exchanging D2 for a D1?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Exchanging D2 for a D1?

i was recently upgraded from my droid 1 to a droid 2 free of charge when I did a warranty exchange. Due to all the limits set in place by motorola (efuse) I just want my D1 back. It was nice to get upgraded but I'm ready to get my droid back, I just love hacking and pushing it further everyday with the new roms and kernels that come out. I was wanting to know if anyone else was feeling the same way and if so has anyone worked with verizon on getting there D1 back and if they gave you any grief about it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    ill trade you my D1 ;]
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    That's funny. You must not like hacking. The d2 is a great looking phone and runs cool. But I would have to respectfully decline your offer to trade due to warranty issues.

4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Does anyone see light at the end of the tunnel or have any insight as far as getting the bootloader unlocked for the D2.

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Verizon doesn't have a lot of decent D1s left...you might be able to get them to send you a D1 refurb to replace your D2, but I went through 6 D1 refurbs that ranged from sort of mostly working to inoperable when I was trying to replace my D1...I've seen posts from others who've experienced the same. If you start the trade process you may end up in a worse place IMHO.

I know there aren't many D2 ROMs now (just two that I know of, version 2.5 of one was released tonight - [ROM]Epic Unleashed 2.5! Blur-Be-Gone spray to get rid of those bugs! - Android Forums) but I think you'd be better off keeping the D2 and seeing where things go in terms of ROMs...if they don't become comon enough, you can always sell/trade the D2 for a D1 easily later on.

D2 is a superior HW platform to the D1, ROMs are likely to start coming as the D2 population grows (a CyanogenMod ROM is being worked on already), kernels are not as relevant given the much faster CPU in the D2 and it doesn't get cooked when running - overclocking on the D1 was driven by the fact that it was so much slower at native speed.

Good luck whichever way you end up...
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Big0013 View Post
    Does anyone see light at the end of the tunnel or have any insight as far as getting the bootloader unlocked for the D2.

The focus on the bootloader is misplaced...the D2 is eminently hackable...you can root, run custom recovery, load custom ROMs, remove programs, edit build.prop, run wireless tether...the phone is already faster than an overclocked D1 and much less likely to get bogged down due to memory issues or overheat.

What do you believe you are missing due to locked bootloader?
    Last edited by Redflea; 09-14-2010 at 11:33 PM.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    AzRezDROID
    Phone
    Samsung NEXUS S
    I'll trade ya..
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Thanks for the input it's much appreciated. The D2 is still in its infancy so I think I might be better off hanging on to it just to see where it goes cause its not every day verizon gives you a brand new upgraded phone. I guess in the mean time I will just have to jack my old ladies D1 until they come out with some decent roms.

9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I have my D2 rooted and setcpu installed to underclock for battery life. on the bootloader question there are in the future going to be more roms out there that are going to be able to push this phone to the next level but will need different kernels to support those features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big0013 View Post

The focus on the bootloader is misplaced...the D2 is eminently hackable...you can root, run custom recovery, load custom ROMs, remove programs, edit build.prop, run wireless tether...the phone is already faster than an overclocked D1 and much less likely to get bogged down due to memory issues or overheat.

What do you believe you are missing due to locked bootloader?

10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    If you want to play...and I know the feeling...I had fun applying a theme last night, the one from 928Droid.

The fun part is that there is a deodexed version of the theme available (which is better), and to install the deodexed version you have to deodex your phone. Oooo...

So...you could get Xultimate and deodex your D2, then apply the theme. That'll kill a few hours and you'll end up with a much cooler phone.

It is one of the best themes I've ever seen...really cool.

Side benefit is that deodexing can have a positive impact on your D2's speed as well.

Theme post (get the Deodexed version): [Theme] 928Droid Black Glass X for DROID 2 !!!

Xultimate download and instructions (from the Theme thread): [Theme] 928Droid Black Glass X for DROID 2 !!!

Enjoy...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links