If something happened to my droid, I would go for the early upgrade.
Other than that I am content to wait for my ne2 and hope they have the dual proccesor models out by then. The droid 2 is cool, but the original is still plenty fast and has the best and largest community. There will always be a new phone. My rule with tech, is to wait till its 2x as cool.