DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Droid 2 root problem??

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2

Droid 2 root problem??

Hi all,

I have a Droid 2 from Verizon. Today I downloaded the z4root.apk and it worked great.. It rebooted & I didn't have any issues.. My dumba$$ nephew decided to download some rooted font program off on the Market. Now during the reboot it froze up.. He pulled the battery & now it won't go past the Motorola logo during startup.. I did a hard startup but it still wont load past the logo.. Is it a paperweight now?? Did he kill my phone??

Thanks for any info/help you can give me...

-Bear
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Chances are that a factory data reset will fix it (but will lose you anything you've added to the phone since you got it...)

If you're tech savvy, you could try an SBF first (there's a sticky at the top of one of the droid 2 tech forums)... This would re-write all the system files (like fonts), and not touch any of your user data, but is more complicated.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 version 2.3.2
    Can you boot in recovery manually? Maybe you can do a factory reset

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuysFinishLast View Post
    Chances are that a factory data reset will fix it (but will lose you anything you've added to the phone since you got it...)

If you're tech savvy, you could try an SBF first (there's a sticky at the top of one of the droid 2 tech forums)... This would re-write all the system files (like fonts), and not touch any of your user data, but is more complicated.
    Minor thread hijack incoming: I've SBF'd a few times and I'm comfortable with it and all... but I've never really been able to visualize exactly what's happening when the SBF file is loaded onto my phone. I guess I pictured it similar to loading a disk image a la Norton Ghost, that completely replaces everything on the phone... but that's not really the case? I know that SBFing returns a phone to factory-new condition (in most cases, I think) and then... to "activate" said factory-new condition you do a full factory reset... which then tells the phone to wipe itself and in the process load up whatever factory settings are there (in this case, whatever was in the SBF). I that kinda how it works? All the documentation that I've read on SBFing never really got into that, and since all my SBF attempts were successful I never really researched it... but just now that we're here, anyone care to enlighten me?

/end hijack.

on topic: If you can get into Clockwork (assuming you've got it installed) you may be able to load a backup (again, if you have one). That would at least preserve some of your apps and settings, without having to start completely from scratch.
    I am the Droid Pirate Roberts.

Links