DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are SD apps?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Where are SD apps?

I had to exchange my DX for a replacement. Before I did, I moved as many D/L'ed apps to the SD card as possible. Looks like around 200MB worth.

Moved the SD card to the new phone - the apps were NOWHERE to be found. I have to re-download all of them from scratch.

What's the deal? Other than saving a little bit of my 8GB of phone memory, what good did this do? Why didn't my apps show up on the new phone?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    When you put the card into the phone, you did move the apps back to the phone right?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    How was I supposed to move them back from the SD card to the phone if they aren't there? I checked in Settings, Applications, Manage Applications. They weren't there, under Downloaded , All, or On SD Card.

I thought they were supposed to be there, but they weren't. They showed an on SD card when the SD card was in the original phone.

Again - what happened to those apps?
  5. LT*
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr HD
    They are on your SD card in the .android_secure folder You can't view them from the phone, only from a PC.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Yes, there are a bunch of files in that folder, all ending in .asec filetype.

But what good does that do? How do I restore those as apps I can run on the new phone? Again, Manage Applications in Settings doesn't see those moved apps.

The main question is HOW DO I RESTORE THE APPS I MOVED TO THE SD CARD IN THE OLD PHONE WITH THAT SAME SD CARD IN THE NEW PHONE, SO I CAN ACTUALLY SEE THEM ON MY MENU AND RUN THEM ON THE NEW PHONE?

It's weird - the files are where you said, but they don't show up anywhere on the phone as apps that can be run. What am I missing?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Best method for future note is to get Titanium Backup and back up your apps to the SD card, then if you get a new phone, get Titanium on it and let it reinstall your apps.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Isnt Titanium for rooted phones or is there a non rooted version?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    ^no there is not an unrooted version. If you are unwilling to root, try MyBackupPro(i think thats the name, cant recall if root is needed) or App Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by calguy19 View Post
    Yes, there are a bunch of files in that folder, all ending in .asec filetype.

But what good does that do? How do I restore those as apps I can run on the new phone? Again, Manage Applications in Settings doesn't see those moved apps.

The main question is HOW DO I RESTORE THE APPS I MOVED TO THE SD CARD IN THE OLD PHONE WITH THAT SAME SD CARD IN THE NEW PHONE, SO I CAN ACTUALLY SEE THEM ON MY MENU AND RUN THEM ON THE NEW PHONE?

It's weird - the files are where you said, but they don't show up anywhere on the phone as apps that can be run. What am I missing?
    The main question is how did you back up/move your apps? Using the built in A2SD function? I havent ever used it so I dont know, but I do know Darktremors Apps2SD hack was designed to only run on the current install of Android. If I did a wipe of my phone, then I had to format the A2SD partition as well.

Yelling at people trying to help you really is not exactly a good idea if you want help. I understand your frustration but it is not our fault. A better idea would have been to ask for advice before trading in your original DX.
    How to SBF your D2G in Windows!
    How to SBF your D2G in Linux!

Retired Devices:Last Used Rom
    Motorola Backflip : Cyanogenmod 7
    Droid 2 Global : AOKP Build 39
    Current Device:Current Roms
    Droid Razr Maxx HD : Fuzion

I do NOT offer help through PM. Sorry!
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Yes I had asked for help. But nobody answered my question as I wrote it. That is why I repeated my original question in caps. To emphasize my question as I originally asked it. I did not ask what I should have done. I did not ask what I should do in the future. I did not ask what measures I should have asked "before trading in my DX". If I could see the future and thought there might be a problem, I might have taken appropriate measures.

I used a 3rd party app to assist me in moving my apps from the phone memory to the SD card, and then I checked the app manager to verify those apps had indeed been moved to the SD card. Then I replaced the defective phone with the replacement sent by Verizon. I expected those apps to be on the new phone when the SD card was transferred. Unfortunately, they were not. But fortunately I had written down the names of all the apps I had downloaded, so I manually re-downloaded the free ones. The paid ones show up on "My Apps" and are easitly replaced.

My own best guess analysis is that google, for app control reasons, leaves a necessary "stub" on the phone memory when the bulk of the app is moved to the SD card. This saves phone memory, but it does not allow you to transfer a copy of all your apps to another phone. The stub must be in the phone memory for that app to run. Or so it seems.

As a general comment - I am on a lot of forums, of all types. On many, I am the moderator. Some are more useful that others. Forums where threads are highjacked, replies do not correspond to the actual question posed, or people simply post uninformed guesses are not particularly useful, and those forums gradually lose their readership. Any forum is only as useful as the posts from the knowledgable contributors.
    Last edited by calguy19; 05-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid2 R2D2
    Along the same lines.... I can see one of the apps I downloaded on the card, and the others (games) are working on the phone, but how do I get the kindle books I downloaded from my computer to the phone? (Ok, I did, but they're not visible in the Kindle folder....)
    I only get a message that the card needs installed or mounted...which I have done several times.
    The card is working, I think...maybe....or not....
    Thanks
    Mary
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links