DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DX Reboot problem

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

DX Reboot problem

I have a Droid X. About every 2 days, it spontaneously shuts itself down, then automatically reboots itself. The phone is just sitting there when it does this - not using any app at the time.

The current thinking is some app is doing this. I'm running ATK, with autokill set for every half hour, but that didn't help (or hurt).

I have a lot of apps - several news and weather apps that run all the time, to receive updated info automatically.

Is anyone else having a similar problem, and have you narrowed it down to some particular app. I definitely do not want to do a full factory reset, re-install all the apps, and update all the various information. I could delete apps in groups to try to track it down, but that is also very time consuming - delete a bunch of apps, wait 3 days and see if the phone reboots, and continue that process until I track down the offending app (assuming it is just one app that is causing the problem).

Anyway, has anyone run into this problem and made any headway?

TNX

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    you should get rid of the task killer, the autokill is hindering the os's ability to properly manage itself.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Problem was already occuring without using ATK. I tried enabling it, setting up ignore list, and then setting periodic autokill to try to resolve the problem, but none of that changed anything.

Nobody has reported similar problems with ATK on market comments.

Called 611 tech suppt - they also suggested some app is causing the problem.

I'm new to this site and discovered this post was on droid 2, so I went to DX section and reposted there, to target more appropriate audience.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    I can tell you right now that ATK will kill your battery. The quick way to find out if it is an app is to hard reset the device and see if the problem still occurs.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Not necessarily true. My battery monitor shows ATK is only using 4%. Even my wifi is using 5%. Display using 38%.

Hard reset not a good solution. Successful or not, I'd have to reinstall ALL my d/l'ed apps and fill in ALL the forms, stock portfolios, etc. And even if that does make the problem go away, where am I? I still don't know which of those apps is the culprit, and I like my apps. I only want to remove the bad one.

The solution for tracking down the problem is a binary search. Delete half the apps, see what happens. Keep deleting half the remaining apps until the problem goes away - then I've narrowed it down. Replace half the deleted apps until the problem returns. Continue this binary search until the culprit is located. Still a lot of work and a pain in the butt. Easier if someone on this forum already has the information. That's what users forums are for.

I'm on a lot of other user forums, and when I track down the source of a problem and its fix, I post it, so other folks can benefit. Motorola and Verizon are not much help on technical issues. Even the Droid "operating manual" sucks. Let's face it - we're all on our own, running with a "beta" technology
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    I've actually tested that with atk and battery life both on an ally and my d2. I haven't tested it on my d2g yet. Its due to the way it operates. In and of itself it doesn't use a lot, but in the way it manages tasks it does.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    You guys are drifting off topic. This thread is about why my DX shuts down and reboots about once every other day, not why my battery life suddenly went south (which is didn't).

ATK was an EXPERIMENT to see if killing unused apps would make the problem go away. It didn't. The originally posted problem on this thread is WHY DOES MY PHONE SPONTANEOUSLY SHUTDOWN AND REBOOT EVERY TWO DAYS?

I suspect one of my apps is doing this, and I'm looking for info from other DX users. Anyone else experiencing this kind of problem? Anyone successful in tracking down the cause or the cure?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Android skins (Motoblur, Sense, TouchWiz, etc) cause the reboots. A lot of people mistake the skins for being just an alternative launcher when they are in fact a custom rom. The custom rom/skin and the app coded/tested on stock android clash. It is similar to a blue screen on windows. The droid x is locked so true stock roms do not exist.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Don't know what this means - I don't have a custom ROM or a custom "skin", whatever that is.

I sent a "Report Bug" to ATK last night (it's part of their app). It automatically includes the equivalent of the blue screen of death debug log. Heard back this AM - they claim it's a hdwr problem in some batches of DX's and gave me the URL to a MOTOROLA USERS FORUM.

Called Verizon. They are sending me a replacement DX free of charge, should arrive tomorrow (Thurs). Will transfer over to that phone and check it out.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by calguy19 View Post
    Not necessarily true. My battery monitor shows ATK is only using 4%. Even my wifi is using 5%. Display using 38%.
    Its not the ATK itself is killing the battery, its what ATK does that kills the battery. Certain apps are just going to end up relaunching themselves, which is going to use more battery then if they were left alone to run in the background.

As for the restarts, everyone else I have seen on the forum with the issue RMAed there phone and there new one did not have the same problem..
    How to SBF your D2G in Windows!
    How to SBF your D2G in Linux!

Retired Devices:Last Used Rom
    Motorola Backflip : Cyanogenmod 7
    Droid 2 Global : AOKP Build 39
    Current Device:Current Roms
    Droid Razr Maxx HD : Fuzion

I do NOT offer help through PM. Sorry!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links