It started out with an attempt to swap out the D1 keypad with the D2's.
In the middle of the project I ended up needing a part from a broken D2.
I bought a broken D2 for really cheap and it turned out that the D2 was repairable. But the D2 was pretty banged up and the top part was kind of loose. So in the end, I ended up swapping parts its parts into the D1 body which is in really good shape.
When I first took apart my D1, I was pretty overwhelmed and almost gave up.
Since then, I've taken apart and reassembled both the D1 and D2 many times and I'm pretty comfortable doing it. It takes patience, some finesse, and even a little luck.
Very cool. I've taken apart my fair share of gizmos before, and even gotten most of them back together again. Never tried something like this, though, I like it. I'm working on building myself a little dock to go next to my bed, to hold the phone at eye level with a charger. I could just spend $20 on a media dock, but I like making stuff, and I've got tons of wood scraps, paint, bondo, USB chargers etc laying around.