DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 244

Thread: Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

  1. Junior Droid
    chriskan's Avatar
    Member #
    136214
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
    Anyone going abroad with a SIM unlocked Droid 2 Global soon?

    We haven't been able to determine whether the Droid 2 Global will actually work with other GSM networks since in the USA no GSM networks appear as available after running a network scan.

    It's possible that VZW somehow has a carrier lock in the USA in spite of the SIM being unlocked, but that it will still work on foreign GSM networks.

    I'm not going abroad for about a month but if anyone has the opportunity to test this abroad for us sooner that would be awesome.
    I'm at the airport now, waiting to board a plane to Italy with my Droid 2 Global (got it last night). I've gotten my Verizon SIM card activated but I didnt' get an unlock code (don't plan on using that much so no reason to switch SIMs). I will report if it works.

    Chris
    Als Ik Kan
  2. Master Droid
    r314bd's Avatar
    Member #
    32744
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    866
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskan View Post
    I'm at the airport now, waiting to board a plane to Italy with my Droid 2 Global (got it last night). I've gotten my Verizon SIM card activated but I didnt' get an unlock code (don't plan on using that much so no reason to switch SIMs). I will report if it works.

    Chris
    Als Ik Kan
    Right on...have a good trip
  3. Junior Droid
    chriskan's Avatar
    Member #
    136214
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #13
    Well, I'm in Schipol airport in Amsterdam, on the way to Italy, and I can verify that the Droid 2 Global is a global phone. I'm connected to the Vodafone network here. Of course, there was a mess up when I activated my SIM before I left - for some reason, it didn't take. Had to call Verizon Global Support on a colleague's global Blackberry to get it straightened out. But, bottom line, the Droid 2 Global can connect to foreign networks using Verizon's SIM card.

    Chris
    Als Ik Kan
  4. Master Droid
    r314bd's Avatar
    Member #
    32744
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    866
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskan View Post
    Of course, there was a mess up when I activated my SIM before I left - for some reason, it didn't take. Had to call Verizon Global Support on a colleague's global Blackberry to get it straightened out.
    Any idea what the problem was? Was international roaming just not activated on your line?
  5. Junior Droid
    gilmourd's Avatar
    Member #
    137114
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskan View Post
    But, bottom line, the Droid 2 Global can connect to foreign networks using Verizon's SIM card.
    Good to know that a Verizon SIM will work on foreign networks.

    Chriskan: If you get a chance to unlock your phone while overseas and please try it with a foreign SIM, it would help a lot of people, including myself, not living in the US but want this phone. Thanks in advance.

    On that note, has any one got a foreign SIM working on an unlocked D2G yet?
    Last edited by gilmourd; 11-13-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Clarify my words a little bit
  6. Junior Droid
    chriskan's Avatar
    Member #
    136214
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskan View Post
    Of course, there was a mess up when I activated my SIM before I left - for some reason, it didn't take. Had to call Verizon Global Support on a colleague's global Blackberry to get it straightened out.
    Any idea what the problem was? Was international roaming just not activated on your line?
    When I phoned in to activate my SIM while back in the US, apparently, the SIM wasn't activated, only the international plan was turned on. I could see the foreign networks when I was in Amsterdam, but the phone wouldn't connect. A call to Global Support fixed the issue. I also signed up for the pro-rated global data plan. So, for about $15, I get a week worth of unlimted data access whle oversees.

    Chris
    Als Ik Kan
  7. Junior Droid
    chriskan's Avatar
    Member #
    136214
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by gilmourd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskan View Post
    But, bottom line, the Droid 2 Global can connect to foreign networks using Verizon's SIM card.
    Good to know that a Verizon SIM will work on foreign networks.

    Chriskan: If you get a chance to unlock your phone while overseas and please try it with a foreign SIM, it would help a lot of people, including myself, not living in the US but want this phone. Thanks in advance.

    On that note, has any one got a foreign SIM working on an unlocked D2G yet?

    I'll try. I should be able to get the phone unlocked, as I've been using a global non-smart phone for 2 years now, so my account is in good standing. I'll also try and pick up a foreign SIM card to try it out and will report back.

    Chris
    Als Ik Kan
  8. Master Droid
    r314bd's Avatar
    Member #
    32744
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    866
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskan View Post
    I'll try. I should be able to get the phone unlocked, as I've been using a global non-smart phone for 2 years now, so my account is in good standing. I'll also try and pick up a foreign SIM card to try it out and will report back.
    No worries if you can't. After looking through the user guide it seems that VZW has restricted use of the 850/1900 MHz GSM/UMTS bands (EDIT: in the USA only), even though the device has the hardware to support them.

    Hopefully someone can figure out a workaround
    Last edited by r314bd; 11-17-2010 at 11:15 AM.
  9. Junior Droid
    craigg's Avatar
    Member #
    136485
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #19
    My guess is that there is more to the unlocking then just entering the sim unlock code. I can't see them advertising the D2 Global as a quad band global phone yet they are locking out 850/1900MHz roaming. While those two frequencies are primarily used in the USA they are also used in Canada, South America, and parts of Australia. They may be used in other areas too that I'm not aware of. I see no practical reason for VZW to restrict the radios of a global phone and I truly hope that they step up to the plate soon with a solution to this issue.
  10. Junior Droid
    craigg's Avatar
    Member #
    136485
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #20
    While I can live with roaming on 900 / 1800 assuming it works with any SIM card, I do hope they correct this issue to enable the phone for all bands. Legally they are opening themselves up to litigation by advertising the phone as a quad band global phone.

    It's issues like this that make me wish that the carriers would get out of the phone business and companies like Motorola would just sell unlocked, unbranded, non crippled phones at a non subsidized price.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How do you unlock the SIM on the Droid 2 Global?
    By r314bd in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 11:41 PM
  2. Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial
    By r314bd in forum Motorola Droid 2 Global Development
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
  3. Droid 2 Global
    By skays in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 04:50 AM
  4. Does Droid offer built-in foreign language capability like iPhone?
    By New Daddy in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 10:31 PM

Search tags for this page

droid 2 global sim
,

droid 2 global sim unlock

,

droid 2 global sim unlock code

,

droid 2 global unlock code generator

,
droid 2 sim unlock
,
free unlock code for motorola droid 2 global
,

sim network unlock pin droid 2 global

,

verizon droid 2 global unlock code

,
verizon global support unlock
,
verizon global unlock code
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+