DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Cannot send or receive Text Messages in USA with my SIM card out, no 3G either

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global

Question Cannot send or receive Text Messages in USA with my SIM card out, no 3G either

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have the same problem? If I remove Verizon SIM card from my Droid 2 Global, I do not have 3G icon on and I cannot send or receive messages. It gives me an error message "text message was not sent". I can still make phone calls though.
    Verizon Rep told me that my usage within USA should have nothing to do with SIM card, but could not explain why it affects my phone the way it does. I factory reset my phone 2 times; one by myself a few days ago and another one yesterday, via Verizon Representative.

I don't know if that's how it was from day 1, but I noticed this problem ~ 6 months ago, after I came back from abroad and forgot to put Verizon SIM back in.

Also, with SIM card inserted, my phone automatically chooses Global mode as a preferred mode, even when in USA. Verizon Rep told me to change it manually to CDMA and insisted I keep it that way (which means that every time I reboot my phone, I have to manually change my mode from Global to CDMA). I don't see any benefits of CDMA vs Global so far - I had my phone in Global for the last 1,8 years until I called Verizon to troubleshoot all kind of problems I started having with this phone (no reception abroad, freezes, randomly activates apps & presses buttons when I do not press them, no texting without SIM card)

Also, with this phone I never could get any data abroad, even when local SIM cards I was buying had data plan active. I tried Vodafone & T-Mobile SIMs in Netherlands, England, Germany and Iceland - no luck. I was able to use voice, but never data. Pretty upset about it. All local reps who sold me these cards were puzzled too. I'm thinking that maybe it is all somehow related to my inability to have 3G and send/receive messages when I remove Verizon SIM from my phone in USA, but it is a wild guess.

Thanks!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    If I were you I'd claim warranty. There's obviously something very wrong with the transceiver or its NV memory.

Can you please check something?

When you're on 3G and it works, dial *#*#4636#*#*. You'll enter the Testing menu; choose Phone information and check the Network type field there; what does it say for you?
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    hi everyone im new here and i was wondering if you guys can help me out with some questions i have with my droidx2 flashed to metro pcs in california?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasai Yuno View Post
    If I were you I'd claim warranty. There's obviously something very wrong with the transceiver or its NV memory.

Can you please check something?

When you're on 3G and it works, dial *#*#4636#*#*. You'll enter the Testing menu; choose Phone information and check the Network type field there; what does it say for you?
    It says CDMA -EvDo rev. A

I think warranty is valid only during 1st year, I'm on my 2nd and my contract is up for renewal in a few days. I was thinking of getting Razr Maxx Global, but I have not read any reviews for it yet. I only know it has a great battery life (supposedly). At the same time I would like to wait till October and possibly get Razr Maxx HD, but I have no idea if they will release it for Global market. Also, my current phone is acting weird, I do not know if I can last till October considering I have another upcoming trip abroad and inability to use data with this phone just makes me mad. I had this problem from my first trip abroad, but somehow Verzion made me think that it had something to do with the SIM card I bought there. After I tested more than 5 in different countries, I think it is not very likely.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by DROIDX2METRO View Post
    hi everyone im new here and i was wondering if you guys can help me out with some questions i have with my droidx2 flashed to metro pcs in california?
    I think you have to start a new thread and describe your problem in details.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    I'm about 95% sure all upcoming high-end Verizon devices will be Global. RAZR MAXX is a really good phone, though (if you don't mind the lack of a hardware keyboard).

As for your problem, you're running System Version 4.5.629 at the moment (verifiable via Settings, About Phone), correct?

If it is indeed 4.5.629, have you tried re-flashing the official factory image of this firmware with RSD Lite? It might actually help if there are issues with the baseband firmware. A factory reset might also be a good idea once you've flashed the firmware image.
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.

Links