DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: "Text message not sent" - Addr.Vcnt., 0

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global A956

Question "Text message not sent" - Addr.Vcnt., 0

Hi there,

I am desperately in need of some help. I picked up a new-old-stock Motorola Droid 2 Global (specifically the A956 model). The system version on it is 4.5.629.A956.Verizon.en.US and Android version 2.3.4. I am on Verizon 3G as I type this and I can make calls flawlessly, but I cannot send out text messages (not to mention I have unlimited texts on my plan).

I've spent hours Googling the problem and wasn't able to come up with anything. I went in under Applications and tried clearing the data for Messages and Text Messaging with a reboot following. Then I tried sending text messages to varying number styles (i.e. 1-555-555-5555, and 555-555-5555, then without hyphens, etc., etc.) Also tried installing GoSMS and Handcent, thinking that would change something and neither one did. Finally tried dialing *228 and re-activating my phone for Verizon and that didnt help matters either.

Even though I know this phone is outdated, I really like it, it's "brand new", and it's what I am familiar with. Is there anything left that I could try to get it to work, or am I out of options? I would really, very-much-so appreciate any help anyone may be able to provide. I don't want to have to go with another phone. I am open to any ideas that will steer me in the right direction... thank you so much!
    Last edited by stranger3; 06-26-2012 at 08:45 PM.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Droid X, 2, 2G, X2, D3, D4
    you could try factory reset, you will lose all settings and data, that is not on sd card
    or SBF 629 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=25127790
    D2G GB 2.3.4/4.5.629 sbf

read http://droid.koumakan.jp/wiki/Welcome
    flashing SBF restores system, but doesn't wipe personal data, although wiping data is recommended to prevent bootloopes
    Sent from my MB870 using Droid Forums
    Last edited by themib; 06-26-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    [ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - sites.google.com

Always in motion is the future
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger3 View Post
    Hi there,

I am desperately in need of some help. I picked up a new-old-stock Motorola Droid 2 Global (specifically the A956 model). The system version on it is 4.5.629.A956.Verizon.en.US and Android version 2.3.4. I am on Verizon 3G as I type this and I can make calls flawlessly, but I cannot send out text messages (not to mention I have unlimited texts on my plan).

I've spent hours Googling the problem and wasn't able to come up with anything. I went in under Applications and tried clearing the data for Messages and Text Messaging with a reboot following. Then I tried sending text messages to varying number styles (i.e. 1-555-555-5555, and 555-555-5555, then without hyphens, etc., etc.) Also tried installing GoSMS and Handcent, thinking that would change something and neither one did. Finally tried dialing *228 and re-activating my phone for Verizon and that didnt help matters either.

Even though I know this phone is outdated, I really like it, it's "brand new", and it's what I am familiar with. Is there anything left that I could try to get it to work, or am I out of options? I would really, very-much-so appreciate any help anyone may be able to provide. I don't want to have to go with another phone. I am open to any ideas that will steer me in the right direction... thank you so much!
    I recently had this problem twice, on my (rooted) 4.5.629 device, text messaging suddenly stopped working, I could not receive them and sending failed (but without an explicit error message). I was using Handcent so I did the opposite from you, and tried stock, but same issue. I fixed it by doing a factory reset. I reinstalled handcent and after about 10 days the problem happened again. So I did a factory reset, and have since remained on stock text messaging, and things have been fine for over a month. But, since I don't know what caused it in the first place, no guarantee!

But if yours never worked (because it is new) I would be more inclined to do the SBF recommended by themib, along with the wipe data.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    This problem can occur when importing a phone book from outlook, as a mismatch can happen between the default outlook profile for phone numbers and the local carrier's willingness to accept a text. Some Verizon markets in the US don't like +1 (555) 555-5555 as telephone number format. Your profile doesn't give your location. Try texting to numbers of the form (555) 555-5555
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global A956
    Well, I have been putting my problem on hold because I've been too busy with other things in life. I am still at square one... I went to check out the 'SBF' thing that was mentioned earlier, and as I dug deeper it looks like I need a computer to be able to update my phone that way. I don't have a computer (that's why I am using my Droid phone) and nobody I'm good friends with has one with web access (except some relatives that live 12 hours away... argh!)

Is there any way I can update my new phone using itself? Or is there any other possible way to fix this texting problem I have? For what it's worth, I am located in the U.S. I guess if there's no way to fix my phone without hooking it up to a computer with internet access, then I'm screwed for sending/receiving text messages...
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Droid X, 2, 2G, X2, D3, D4
    You can factory reset, without pc, may fix your problem

You can flash sbf, with pc without web
    Just have to download all files on phone
    Moto drivers, rsdlite/sbf or 629 Linux ezsbf method
    And a decent pc with usb 2.0 or 3.0
    [ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - sites.google.com

Always in motion is the future

Links