DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Malfuntioning of Phone switched networks from GSM to CDMA

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Malfuntioning of Phone switched networks from GSM to CDMA

I have a Verizon Global phone. I went on a work assignment to India. I had Verizon install the data package for me to use in India. I removed my SIM card and purchased a Vodaphone sim card in India. While there for a months, a few days the phone went into the CDMA network and I was charged through verizon for ROAMING. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this? I also have problems with texting with my Global phone where it switched screens. The malfuntion needs to be fixed by Verizon is not working with me.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    "I had Verizon install the data package for me to use in India. I removed my SIM card and purchased a Vodaphone sim card in India."

Not sure what you mean here. If you change the SIM, it is now nothing to do with Verizon, so you shouldn't be using/paying for the Verizon data package.

The phone will try to find a CDMA signal, unless you have set Network Mode to GSM (rather than the default Global). Putting in a SIM isn't enough. And unfortunately, if it does connect to CDMA, you will be charged for roaming. If you are still in India, make sure you change the mode.

What have Verizon said when you complained? You should have known?
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Contact vzw and request to have your sim card unlocked. Then when you're over in a foreign country buy prepaid SIM cards. This way you can avoid paying verizon anything.

Like silver said the default radio setting is Global CDMA/GSM. I'm not sure how India's cellular network is, but it's possible that you may have been in a bad GSM area, and the phone found a stronger CDMA signal and locked on. To avoid this do what silver said and go to GSM only.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    India has CDMA networks.

What happened was that your phone lost GSM signal and displayed a warning that went: “No GSM networks were found. Switch to GLOBAL mode?” and you accepted, or you had your phone in GLOBAL mode right off the bat.
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
    "I had Verizon install the data package for me to use in India. I removed my SIM card and purchased a Vodaphone sim card in India."

Not sure what you mean here. If you change the SIM, it is now nothing to do with Verizon, so you shouldn't be using/paying for the Verizon data package.
    OK, now thinking more, if you bought the Verizon Data Plan, that would have covered you for data on CDMA (and on GSM only if you kept their sim in) up to whatever limit you bought. So was the roaming for data or voice? From the table, it looks like roaming voice is $1.99 per minute.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    Contact vzw and request to have your sim card unlocked. Then when you're over in a foreign country buy prepaid SIM cards. This way you can avoid paying verizon anything.

Like silver said the default radio setting is Global CDMA/GSM. I'm not sure how India's cellular network is, but it's possible that you may have been in a bad GSM area, and the phone found a stronger CDMA signal and locked on. To avoid this do what silver said and go to GSM only.
    I did have my phone unlocked before I went. I changed the Sim cards and had the phone on GSM mode only. SO still not sure why Verizon charged me, they said someone I picked up their signals. I am being charged roaming and I think the phone malfunctioned when it switched networks, because it only happened on a few days, the rest of the time the GSM networked worked. I used Vodaphone sim card in India, which is a division of Verizon.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OK, now thinking more, if you bought the Verizon Data Plan, that would have covered you for data on CDMA (and on GSM only if you kept their sim in) up to whatever limit you bought. So was the roaming for data or voice? From the table, it looks like roaming voice is $1.99 per minute.
    It was roaming for voice, with their sim card out and Vodaphone sim card in my Global phone.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    I did have my phone unlocked before I went. I changed the Sim cards and had the phone on GSM mode only. SO still not sure why Verizon charged me, they said someone I picked up their signals. I am being charged roaming and I think the phone malfunctioned when it switched networks, because it only happened on a few days, the rest of the time the GSM networked worked. I used Vodaphone sim card in India, which is a division of Verizon.
    Did you battery pull or anything? My mom's pro sometimes switches over to global I think when that happens.

Never having a global phone I'm not sure if the radio settings get reset if the battery is pulled, or completely drained.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    . I used Vodaphone sim card in India, which is a division of Verizon.
    No it's not! Verizon Communication and Vodafone PLC are two separate companies. They are co-owners of Verizon Wireless (55%/45% respectively). Verizon Global phones use a special Vodafone NL SIM. Was your Vodafone India SIM prepaid? I would think that you would have to prepay for data on that as it should have no connection to your Verizon plan, unless something special was done.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    No it's not! Verizon Communication and Vodafone PLC are two separate companies. They are co-owners of Verizon Wireless (55%/45% respectively). Verizon Global phones use a special Vodafone NL SIM. Was your Vodafone India SIM prepaid? I would think that you would have to prepay for data on that as it should have no connection to your Verizon plan, unless something special was done.
    Yes, I had a special SIM from vodaphone that cost me 50 dollars for data and voice. SO i got charged for that and through Verizon. I did pop the battery out to put the SIM card in but it was still on GSM network.

Links