DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is wrong with my phone? It is possesed

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto A957 Droid2 R2D2 GBv2.3.4

The ghost is in the machine

Quote Originally Posted by Joyna View Post
    that's bad news. I just got a D4 after the screen on my D2 did the same thing on & off for months, then finally failed last week. I will be quicker to ask for warranty service on the D4.

I've been bad & been away from this forum for too long...missed the report on changes that meant I'd lose unlimited data by getting a new phone.
    It made sense to upgrade to the D4 instead of replacing via insurance, since I'd read a lot of comments on the same D2 screen failures.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to get anything out of the dead D2? The screen is lit but is now completely unresponsive. Camera & sticky notes data...

Thanks all,
    Laurie

eta....comments on Credo's service? ready to consider other plans for when my newly renewed contract runs out.
    @ joyna (Laurie): You asked for help backing up items stuck on your D2 (do you still have your Droid 2 Global device?)...
    1. I think your Sticky Notes are stuck on the dead-to-touch D2. Here's why: the stock Motorola Widget "Sticky Notes" is a touch-based feature (protected system app) at least as far as starting a note on the home screen, and as far as editing & sharing a note. Technically the notes' contents can be shared to e-mail/txt/etc, but according to Add a Sticky Note to your Home screen tip page from Motorola, you'd need to be able to TOUCH the menu key to access the Share function (of course, that's after TOUCHing the note widget itself on your home screen, too). Since limiting myself to keyboard/button control on my R2-D2, I see some home screen items can be selected by the physical arrow keys, but home screen widgets get skipped entirely. Recently I reinstalled root access to my device, which allows me to use Titanium Backup Root (the free version), that can access system apps including "Sticky note 2.3.4," which I can zig-zag through arrow key presses to select (using OK button on keypad where needed) and backup its data. Performing those steps and then attempting to recover the data is apparently futile, because the Sticky Notes widget does not store its home screen widget size or location (all basically temporary data relative to the home screen itself). So when attempting to restore the app data for "Sticky Note 2.3.4," Ti Backup Root completes the task but content doesn't reappear on the home screen as a note. Not even after obeying the prompt to restart the device for changes to sys apps to appear. Sorry...
    2. If you meant photos as the "camera data" you want to recover, I think you're in luck. The camera and video camera app's JPG and 3GP files are all typically stored on your D2's micro-SD or micro-SDHC flash memory card under Camera subfolder within DCIM folder on the card, which you can attach to your computer via a card reader adapter & USB (bought my most recent mSD adapter as SanDisk brand at local Staples store around $10). Because Android (or the Moto device programming perhaps) saves photos to the generic "Camera" subfolder, whereas most traditional digital cameras create their own named-by-camera-model-number subfolder, it's entirely possible that simply inserting your D2's mSD card into your new Droid4 will cause the old D2 photos to show up without any other steps needed. If you tried to do that with a Kodak camera swapping the memory card into a Canon, for instance, the Kodak's subfolder on the card would likely be ignored by the Canon camera, but the pictures would still be in that subfolder for a computer to access. Cool?
    3. As for "getting anything out of the dead D2," Have you seen the dead/for_parts/not_working devices listed on eBay? You can probably get $omething out of it just judging what I have seen win on those auctions. Bound to be somebody out there who's been driving freight as long as VZW has even been around & has a magic fix for diesel-washed gadgets. Or maybe BP Oil would have a tip? They are in it for the long haul. (:K
    Condolences on the diesel fuel death of your D2's touch screen and unlimited data plan (R.I.P. "unltd data," that was a short window from announcement to implementation, but probably a long time coming). I don't think a bag of rice could fix that, the diesel accident I mean. And for the D4, yes, stay on top of your warranty (spoken as a techie who's self-combusted on that issue myself (that's an "I've been burned" reference there) with laptops, etc.)... Take honest advantage of coverage wherever you can. It's a good thing! I am not up for upgrade til October, but I will be going the BYOD plan buying my next device unsubsidized by VZW through 3rd party (eBay) so that I can hopefully keep my data plan. I don't consume lots of data regularly, but I run LogMeIn sessions from R2-D2 that could eat up the GBs as fast as battery bars, let alone streaming YouTube howto vids and music. Watch out or they'll soon say that the "free 4G sim card" for active accounts activitating 3rd-party-purchased devices will automatically cancel unltd data, too. The hypothetical VZW solution for that problem being a $200 2yr sim card lease, of course! No really, it's not a tax, we promise.

All electronics fail eventually, I'm just biding my time...

Overall screen failure is in my device's hardware, but the twitchy stuff seems to have been partially symptom of software/settings. Combo problem. Double whammy. Sweet!

Loop back to this other thread if you want to continue following the adventure of my R2-D2 touch screen issue. I'm stepping back from this Droid 2 Global thread unless I have any helpful news regarding hardware parts replacement should I actually pursue that course versus replacing my device.

Root discussion for the R2-D2 model continues over at Official R2-D2 Owners Thread. The D2G details for ongoing attempts to root 629 updated A956 devices (with possibly the same method as D2/R2-D2?) follow at that conversation on RootzWiki. Not that anyone's interested in that sort of thing, wink.

I forgot to say earlier I elminated suspicious power/usb-charging cables, and last week removed the anti-glare screen protector (2nd of 3 in my original VZW brand accessory pack), and I did not see an immediate improvement for my hyperactive touch screen. So I installed the 3rd screen protector (the next evening after sunset I decided I couldn't deal with the slick Gorilla Glass glare more than a day), again no change in screen behavior there, but it seems that attempting the recently released 621 Droid 2 fixed SBF root procedure was much more effective than calling a priest (although I'm still at the ready to stick a fork in it, wooden stake, silver bullet, etc). I can't recommend that flashing/reflashing/rooting will repair your own screen, that would be fabulous voodoo, but at least in my own case it stopped my recent R2-D2's case of tourette syndrome-like tics so far). That said, given Murphy's Law, predicting R2-D2 is bound to have some kind of grand mal seizure revenge on me sooner or later.

He's going to need a transplant. We can rebuild him--better, stronger, faster--but we don't want to spend a lot of money.
    Last edited by MrCatPC; 08-04-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: D2G A956 corrections for context
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCatPC View Post
    the D2 (A955), D2 Global (A956) and D2 R2-D2 Edition (A957) use the same digitizer component and LCD screen.
    What.

This forum has quite a few threads on how A956's digitizer's flex cable is different from A955/A957.
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasai Yuno
    What.

This forum has quite a few threads on how A956's digitizer's flex cable is different from A955/A957.
    Hello Gasai Yuno!

I haven't looked at cables yet, just vendors showing the same part for digitizer+glass combo parts listing cross-compatibility, and getting dizzy with the options I've seen. Should I beware as a buyer before I purchase a non-A957 digitizer+glass? Is it also possible I may just have a worn-out cable behind my digitizer? All pointers & corrections welcomed, especially before I order parts & start turning torx screws counter-clockwise...

Difficult to find strictly A957 R2-D2 replacement parts so far... You already know about misleading Droid Pro listings as "A957" I'm sure. It goes on and on!

Is it possibly a matter of differently designed replacement digitizer cables? I'll definitely be looking up some tear-down/disassembly on YouTube as well as the forums to check this out. I trust your input, just always curious to learn as much as I can before I end up with a money pit project, of course.

Thanks for headsup, I appreciate the caution (:K ...I'm also realizing some dissimilarity between D2/R2-D2 (A955/A957) versus the D2G model as I dig deeper, so before I get to hunting down those threads, I want to make sure you're highlighting hardware/cable difference for the D2G A956, which I regret I know less about. I'll humbly edit out whatever I need to from my rambling post(s) if necessary. I've probably gone a little blind with various forums basically saying "it's the same thing" for Droid 2 series models on all kinds of software/hardware issues. I know I'm in a minority here somewhat with this A957. It's not yet on the operating table & all the innards are still invisible.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    A955 and A957 are 100% compatible in terms of both hardware and software.

A956's hardware is different.
    MrCatPC likes this.
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasai Yuno View Post
    A955 and A957 are 100% compatible in terms of both hardware and software.

A956's hardware is different.
    Thanks again for the clarification. (:K
    Edited previous posts accordingly to help prevent spreading my misinformation.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links